“Grande Dame Loves Lunch”
Review of ARIA Restaurant

ARIA Restaurant
Ranked #49 of 5,943 Restaurants in Sydney
Price range: USD 36 - USD 70
Cuisines: Australian, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, View, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Description: ARIA is an award winning hatted restaurant in Sydney located at Circular Quay, on the very edge of Sydney Harbour, provides a dining experience with striking harbour views, with an award winning menu and extensive wine list, served in an intimate and elegant dining room. Owned by chef Matt Moran, ARIA first opened its doors in 1999 and is highly regarded and awarded both locally and internationally. ARIA currently holds two coveted Chef's Hats and was awarded the, 'Diner's Choice' award by the readers at the Sydney Morning Herald Good Food Guide 2012 Awards.
Melbourne, Australia
“Grande Dame Loves Lunch”
Reviewed 27 September 2015 via mobile

Oxtail Croquette followed by Jacks Creek Sirlion, then polished off (much recommended) Blood Orange Soufflé. Washed down with bubbles by Michel Arnould (NV Grand Cru Reaerve Brut) Beyond YUM! At less than one hundred bucks, Aria's lunch menu gets 5/5 from this punter, heck I'd almost have paid that for just the soufflé!! Service was, as always, impeccable. Thanks again Mr Moran xx

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
“Disappointing, food overrated”
Reviewed 27 September 2015

My wife and I went to Aria recently for her birthday, Aria being a restaurant she really wanted to go to. Our dining "experience", while we made the most of it and, so could say was enjoyable, was, with respect to Aria's quality of food and overall value, very disappointing. This is a very expensive restaurant, owned/backed by a famous name ie a top quality chef, Matt Moran, expected to be of top quality and sophistication, in all it does and serves, yet, it failed to deliver one dish of "real" quality, let alone expected with fine dining.

Entree - my wife's maron was "good", my sashimi was bland and tasteless;

Mains - my lamb was thick and very chewy, lacking flavour - I love lamb and am very "accepting" when it comes to food, but, I couldn't eat this lamb, it was so tough to chew - again, with little flavour, of any kind;

- my wife's steak, when ordering, we asked if it is/was tender, as she really wanted a nice, tender, cut - we were told that, absolutely, it would be tender - lo and behold, so tough, there was really no choice but to send it back,

Bottom line, both meat dishes were inedible and had to go back. When we explained the problem to the waiter, he was very polite (his service, on the night, generally, was very good) and "took it all in", yet, apart from offering to replace/change our meals, there was no "action" take ie no one came to the table to discuss the problem/offer any "compensation".

We were asked whether we wanted another meat dish and, based on our meat experiences, chose to go for fish, my wife having one variety and me, another; both were really underwhelming - as my wife described it, and I would agree, reminds you of a "pub" meal; expecting dishes of quality/"sophistication" in a restaurant such as Aria, what we got, was, really, very basic.

By now, we had had 4 of the main meals on the menu and all were very unimpressive.

Dessert - a souffle, which was very (overly) sweet/sugary and tasted "eggy" (2 spoonfuls and that was "enough" - again, not expected/acceptable at his level (standard of restaurant)), and a cheese "platter", which was "ok", but, really meagre (4 slivers of cheese).

The wine, however, from a generous wine list, was good.

On our way out, I was asked if we enjoyed our meal. I was tempted to say "yes" and leave it at that, however, chose to explain, to the hostess, what had occurred with our mains and explained that we were quite disappointed - really?? Gee, that's no good - any action? NONE, do they care? I suspect not; not from what we saw..

In all, the plusses?

. a beautiful restaurant, great ambience, great location, great views, very good table service,

the minuses?

. very disappointing, overrated, food, very expensive - certainly not value for money.

Would we go back? I certainly doubt it.

• Visited September 2015
4 Thank David K
Singapore, Singapore
“Good but not out of the world”
Reviewed 26 September 2015 via mobile

Perhaps it is the expectation, but I was not blown away by Aria. The service is professional but lacks warmth (vs another establishment I dined at just 2 days ago).

The view is of course spectacular, being right next to the Opera House, facing the bridge.

The tables are too close to one another, making the environment rather noisy, especially if you are seated next to a boisterous group.

I had the 2 course with burrata as the starter and their special (duck) for main. The burrata was good, as one would expect from a restaurant in this "class". The duck was the real highlight. Exquisite! Juicy and succulent. Very impressive as I believe it is much more difficult to attain the optimal "done-ness" for a thick piece of duck meat.

Sydney, Australia
“Decent”
Reviewed 25 September 2015 via mobile

View is amazing. Flavours great however both lamb and pork slightly tough. Dessert great. Service 8/10

Sydney
““An exceptional dining experience””
Reviewed 25 September 2015

I was lucky enough to be invited by my daughter for my birthday treat @ Aria restaurant, and it was a lovely experience. A wonderful location with views overlooking the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge.The food quite sumptuous, and the service altogether impeccable. I cannot speak highly enough of the great service at "Aria" and can't wait to return. Perfect restaurant in every way ! thank you Aria Chef & staff..