“Authentic English Chippie”

Ranked #265 of 269 Quick Bites in Sydney
Neighbourhood: Bondi Beach
Neighbourhood: Bondi Beach
Reviewed 7 January 2016

Want the pucker English fish and chip shop experience - try the Traditional Chip Shop. The fish is cod or haddock - expensive but meaty. Chips are in the English style - if you like that (i'm not a fan). Even the front of house servers are from the UK.

An enjoyable experience - not something I'd do regularly, but is an experience.

Date of visit: December 2015

Reviewed 1 January 2016 via mobile

Got dinner here two nights ago and was amazingly disappointed, over priced and bland.
We had a half portion and a standard portion of fish, one was about $9 and the large was about $15 and that's only for the fish!!! Chips are extra. The fish is not even fresh. Did you know that Sydney has a fish market which sells FRESH FISH? And even has FRESH SEA FOOD DELIVERY COMPANIES. So no excuse is their?.
The batter is bland and thick a bad beer batter would be far superior to what ever they make.
Sorry but just keep on walking and buy fish and chips from the local fish shop at half the price.
Leave this place to the English and Irish tourists as its comfort food for them.

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed 30 December 2015 via mobile

It looked good from the outside and was quite full so we thought it would be good. The food arrived after a long wait and I needed a microscope to see the grilled salmon. It was a tiny piece and at $13.95 ( fish only, no chips) completely overpriced. The chips were soaking in oil and after eating a few I felt ill. The calamari was covered in such thick batter it was difficult to swallow. We walked out and will never go back. Eat here at your peril!!

Date of visit: December 2015
Reviewed 16 November 2015

I used to love going here, it was a truly authentic chip shop, reminded me of home. They have a couple of places now and I go to either, but lately either standards have been slipping, or they are looking at the bottom line more.

Previously my wife and I could have a portion of chips to share, but these have been shrinking in size on a regular basis, and the general quality of when they first opened just isnt there anymore

Its too expensive for what you get now, I understand it would need to be as a lot gets imported, but its slowly losing its appeal.

Date of visit: November 2015
1  Thank Chris J
Reviewed 26 October 2015

Couldn't wait to tuck into my snack box and jumbo sausage when I got it but one bite confirmed I should of gone somewhere else. Although the chips were fresh, the chicken must of had a bad case of eczema before it was killed and the sausage had a serious STD infection. The chicken was so over cooked and dry I thought I was doing the 3 cracker challenge. It looks as if they have taken food cooked the previous day and reheated it in the fryer again. It was dreadful. I won't be going back.

Date of visit: October 2015