“Pyrmonts's "Secret" Hotel”

Ranked #122 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Wollongong, Australia
“Pyrmonts's "Secret" Hotel”
Reviewed 5 August 2011

My wallet was stolen / lost (therefore no ID or credit card) and I needed to stay in the most cost effective place I could afford. I also have a desire to eventually live in Pyrmont - I love the suburb, it's 5 minutes away from the CBD and has the cafe culture that I'm in love with. Being self-employed, I can stay wherever I want to for providing i have internet access - which I do through Telstra and my MacBook Pro.

I've never stayed in a "hotel" before (as defined as being a pub with accommodation) and instead of using the internet, I simply drove down Harris Street. i saw the "Glasgow Arms Hotel", walked in to the hotel and within 5 minutes had the keys!

The room was the equivalent of a 4 star hotel.

Check-In was as simple as paying a night's accommodation and showing my passport. The locals are friendly and professional people. I loved the place so much (and the location) that a second night was mandatory. Drinks are cheap and breakfast is included - how is that for $130.00 a night 10 mins away from the CBD?

It doesn't stop there - besides a slight odour, the room was immaculate. I stayed for under 48 hours and the room was cleaned at least three times. There was access to a balcony (keep it locked when you're not inside the room). There is a 7/11 across the road and numerous cafes and restaurants along Harris Street.

One staff member who I'd like to personally thank is "Joe". His friendly nature and professionalism added a big difference to my stay. Thank you Joe!

In conclusion - if you need somewhere to stay in Sydney on a budget I cannot recommend the Glasgow Arms Hotel enough! You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: I stayed in the basic room and was thoroughly impressed!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank amnovak

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Hunter Valley
Reviewed 22 October 2010

Last minute booking to keep an early morning appointment.
Staff most cooperative, room very comfortable, restaurant team friendly.
Would stay again in the future
Owen Hill

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank Ziggy061
Melbourne
Reviewed 18 February 2010

We only stayed 1 night, although we arrived at 9.30am & the friendly guy let us check in early b/c the room was already ready. The room is large, basic decor, small t.v & fairly comfy bed & clean. Double shower was great & good air con. On a main road but very quiet. Pub downstairs was great to have a couple of drinks before going upstairs. Breakfast was self serve toast, cereal, coffee etc... was all we wanted/needed. Staff let us leave our bags behind the bar because we had a late flight back to Melbourne. Great hotel if you want an affordable place to stay in Sydney CBD. Only a 5 minute walk to Chinatown.
I recommend the Glasgow Arms Hotel & it will be remembered for many years to come..because I got engaged at the Opera House this weekend in Sydney...

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AudreyandMax
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 October 2008

We booked this hotel based principally on two criteria. We wanted somewhere cheap and close to Darling Harbour. This hotel met both criteria at under $A100 per night and only minutes walk to Darling Harbour and Paddys Market.
The hotel is sited across the road from the Powerhouse Museum and the Ian Thorpe Aquatic centre, a short walk to Chinatown, and the hub of Darling Harbour. It is also about 15 minutes walk to Central Railway station.
As a small hotel it does not have a "reception" area but this function is done at the bar and thus if arriving outside normal bar opening hours it is necessary to make arrangements before hand. Normal check in is 1.00pm and we arrived at 9.00am having checked earlier that our room would be ready early.
We stayed in Room 10 which is in an annex to the hotel with its own entrance. There are four rooms in the annex. Our room had its own balcony complete with chair and two tables.
The room was not large having a double bed more than adequate storage a bathroom containing toilet, washbasin and large shower with great hotwater pressure. A hairdryer was in the bathroom. The room was airconditioned with a reverse cycle heat pump.
Whilst dated in design and decor the room was very clean and well maintained for each day of our stay( Which incidently was 5 days). Breakfast comes as part of the taffif and each evening a continenal breakfast comprising cereal, toast , juice and jams were delivered to our room and placed in the fridge. Tea and coffee making facilities are also standard. Whilst basic the amount of food provided was a great way to start the day.
The hotel is sited on the corner of busy through roads and with the door to the balcony open it is very disruptive but closed the noise whilst discernable was not an issue. The road traffic died away in the evenings and on weekends.
The hotel also has its own brasserie restaurant which we used several times during our stay. The food was good, plentiful and very good value for money.
The staff were very friendly and helpful during our stay and I would stay there again.

• Liked — Price and position of the hotel
  • Disliked — Dated decor
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank beanb41
Bedfordshire
Reviewed 29 August 2007

Having rented an apartment in Sydney two weeks earlier which was poorly located in terms of transport and shops, we were determined to be much closer to the heart of things. We found this hotel on the internet, 'phoned them up, explained our requirements and got a good response. Arriving after 11 pm, we found the bar and checked in. The bar was quite noisey but on subsequent nights this was not the case. The accommodation while not of the latest in design terms, was clean and adequate.
Breakfast was included in the cost and this consisted of a self-help breakfast bar from where you made your selection and took it back to your room to consume. Location-wise the hotel is situated opposite the Powerhouse Museum, is a short walk to Darling Harbour with its many restaurants, Chinatown, the Monorail and Sydney's Central Business District. For those seeking reasonably priced accommodation within walking distance of many of Sydney's attractions, this hotel is ideally sited.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family