“Maori influence pivotal to the birth of Australia”

Kotahi Tourism - Poihakena Day Tours
Ranked #129 of 347 Tours in Sydney
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Explore The Rocks with Māori guide! Poihākena is the Maori word for Port Jackson - Sydney and Māori have lived, loved, worked, visited and traded there since 1793. On this 2-hour walking tour you'll visit the archeological dig site where Māori taonga (treasured objects) have been found; see taonga now exhibited at a local Museum, walk down Māori Lane and hear intriguing stories spanning 224 years. Tours end with waiata (Māori song). Optional hāngi lunch and Kapa Haka performance for group tours.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed 1 April 2015

We participated as a school group. The guides were fabulous showing the class and myself the connections between the Maori culture and early Sydney. All the information was delivered in a meaningful way to our yr 3 group. I would strongly recommend this tour to any school exploring the history of Sydney. THE hangi was fantastic value and added depth to the kids understanding of traditional Maori practices. I hope we can do the tour again next year.

Reviewed 8 March 2015

What I like most about this tour was how it talked about Sydney's beginnings from three different cultures - European, Aboriginal, and, of course, Maori. I appreciate the objectiveness this approach took to looking at Sydney's formation instead of choosing only one culture and politicizing it one way or another.

Reviewed 5 March 2015

Where do I start, it was all brilliant? Our guide was an intensely proud Maori man, 'Hep' who began by honouring the local, traditional custodians of The Rocks, the Darug people. Hep's respect for 'Tallawallodah' and the changes Darug people have experienced in their homeland set the tone to transform us back in time to the earliest days of Sydney Town - but not through the eyes of white Europeans for once - ah! something fresh!

I found my jaw hitting the floor several times during our leisurely wander through The Rocks, I won't give away the gems of their tour, but Poihakena have worked with a well-respected Maori historian to delve in to the 'little details' of people's live - you know, the small things that bring characters to life and make you wonder what they looked like, who they loved, and how they must have felt living so far from home with their dark skin and striking appearance mixing in the streets among the pale, sun burnt Europeans.

In our modern age of diversity and multiculturalism, this tour really delivered a fresh and human view of 1800s Sydney ('Poihakena' in Maori language) and beyond, as a place which has always been colourful, busy, adventurous and transformed by a myriad of people with cultural backgrounds as rich as any you see today.

I also felt like Hep could've kept going for 10 hours if I didn't have to be somewhere else! It's so nice when it doesn't feel like your tour guide is just there to deliver a standard tour, but is giving your their heart and soul.

Thanks so much to Poihakena xx

1  Thank Dee C
Reviewed 1 February 2015

I really loved the tour, I ve learnt so much about Maori history
The 2 hours was great, our tour guide is so passionate about the subject it is a pleasure to listen his stories.
I was very impress with the Big Dig ( archeological site) right in the middle of the a Rocks, and I ve never notice it!!!
Definitely recommend the tour

1  Thank Eliana G
Reviewed 12 November 2014

Ive lived in Sydney for 11 years and the Poihakena Tour brought to light how little I knew. I learned about the Maori who helped build Sydney into the city it is today.
The telling of their stories and exploring the streets and alleys they once walked really help the experience to stick. The 2 hours guided walk seemed to fly by as we journeyed from 1700s to today.
If you are looking to delve into a new layer of the The Rocks then I would highly recommend this tour. Be sure to wear comfortable walking shoes and a hat if you are going on a nice day! There are stairs to climb but nothing to taxing.

1  Thank TeePeeH