See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 January 2018 via mobile

The hotel is on a topnotch location. Walking distance from all top attractions in Sydney.
The beds are fine.

So. All positives have been said. And the only reason I did rate two in stead of one.
If that’s all you’re looking for; Criterion is your hotel.
If you’re looking for clean bathrooms, clean toilets, quiet guests, perhaps a tv on your room or TWO chairs in stead of one on a room for 2 people, or just any form of cfort whatsoever, look elsewhere.
If you’ve seen the pictures on the website; that probably was 10 years ago. Check mine for the latest.

Walls were probably white once, tiles are broken, watertaps without knobs (or only one to use on all), soaking wet bathroom floors, etc.
I love to think I’ve visited my share of hostels, hotels, etc, but I can’t remember a place this poorly maintained and dirty.

Criterion hotel? Never again for me.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2017

I cannot believe we paid for such room. We only stayed one night, out of three, as we were extremely jet-lagged, then we booked another hotel in Sydney, as we could not tolerate one minute in the already paid room.
The worst experience I've had had in so many years of traveling. I didn't expect to see that in the heart of Sydney.
The room was small and dirty (walls and floors not renovated). No hooks or shelves to hang anything (they were obviously removed, based on the holes in the walls). The shower cabin very dirty, we were afraid to touch every little thing around. The room was noisy, even if not facing the street, maybe because of the probably old vent/AC system.

Room tip: Do not book based on the photos online.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2017

Quite a basic hotel but it does the job. Clean, affordable and a great location. The staff were also very helpful and friendly. As long as you're not looking for anything too fancy, I'd definitely recommend it.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

please do not go to this hotel. this is truly the oldest, dirties hotel ever. The pictures say enough. I do not dare to touch anything, that's how dirty it is. The only thing nice about this hotel is the location. Not looking forward to spend the next 7 nights in this hotel.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2017 via mobile

Title says it all. Great pub in the CBD, food decently cooked and good serving size and service for the money. Seating is at a premium but wander in anyway—you might get lucky. Drinks are reasonable considering the location.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple