Open today: 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Review Highlights
My soul is at home here!

Incredible bookshop. Truely the best on the planet! I wish we had one in Melbourne. I’ve visited... read more

Reviewed 14 March 2023

Reviewed 3 November 2022
glenndjangkar
Jakarta, Indonesia
via mobile

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
All reviews non fiction large collection bookstore manga browsing galeries comic purchase
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 November 2022 via mobile

Have not been here for a good nine years and was glad to return to pay a visit. Those familiar with Kinokuniya bookstores in Singapore and Indonesia will not be surprised at the large collection of books with an emphasis on mangas, comic books and Japanese language books.

This particular outlet, located in Sydney has a large collection of Australian books both fiction and non-fiction alike.

Kinokuniya in Sydney takes up most of the space in Galeries Victoria’s second floor though it is still smaller than its Singaporean counterpart.

Date of experience: October 2022
Reviewed 1 July 2022 via mobile

Great variety in this bookstore. Large section Manga and Anime but plenty of other mainstream books to suit all tastes.
Nice to wander around the store on a rainy day.

Date of experience: July 2022
1  Thank Albywon
Reviewed 27 February 2021

We love this store and it has an amazing selection of books, especially in the history section. It is very busy so hard to physically distance.

Date of experience: February 2021
4  Thank wombatdavid
Reviewed 3 November 2019

Kinokuniya, the Japanese bookshop chain is ideally located opposite QVB in Sydney. It is more than a bookshop - the selection of books is immense, plus there are a lot of gift ideas. A sanctuary to rest & learn. Staff are helpful.
In the cafe, I went for the much heard of watermelon cake - it looked beautiful garnished with thinly sliced lychees plus colourful flowers. A refreshing cake but I wonder how it retains it's freshness by the end of the day. Cake & chai for about $14.00 was somewhat on the rich side plus I would have liked the cafe to serve some savouries for a light lunch.
There are other japanese shops around such as Muji.
Kinokuniya is a must visit for book lovers and anyone shopping for unusual gifts.

Date of experience: November 2019
Reviewed 3 July 2019

Book stores to many is a thing of the past. To me, it's a little sanctuary where I can escape the rigors of life. I used to frequent book stores on a weekly basis but it's so difficult to find a book store in today's day and age. I've didn't realize book stores still existed until I came across this place hidden in the top of the galleries. They have such an enormous collection of books both English and other languages + if you're into comics, there is a large collection of Japanese and US comics to choose from. I was in a rush so only spent 1/2 an hour here, but will definitely come back soon to enjoy the vast collection of books. Don't let the books disappear.

Date of experience: July 2019