“Amazing truffled mashed potatoes”
Review of Riley St Garage

Riley St Garage
Ranked #163 of 6,738 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Description: Once a full service garage, now a full service restaurant and bar, Riley St Garage is the place to go for all your gastronomic services and repairs.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I came here for dinner yesterday and has the chorizo corn dog, burrata, slow-cooked lamb shoulder, and truffled mashed potatoes.

The burrata was great – it's served with pickled onions and pistachios which complemented the cheese's texture very well. The lamb shoulder took about 40 minutes to prepare and it was definitely worth the wait – it's was so tender an flavorful. No description can do the truffled mashes potatoes justice so go ahead and order those!

One negative was that when I ordered the corn dog, I expected a full chorizo sausage served corn dog style so I was a little disappointed when I got this lamb-tasting meatball covered in dough which fell apart as soon as I bit into it.

Cocktails were good, the inside of the restaurant is beautiful but it was loud and felt empty (they had us all smooshed on the left side for some reason).

Andy O, Manager at Riley St Garage, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Francois, thank you for the great review! We are so glad that you enjoyed your evening and look forward to having you visit again!

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Very elegant and classy bar with great food. Good ambiance. Excellent service. Extremely satisfied. Oysters and pork knuckles were very good.

Andy O, Manager at Riley St Garage, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Hi Peter, thanks for your feedback. Glad you enjoyed your evening - we hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 14 March 2018

We had a spread of the three different oyster servings- all superb. So small and sweet. Then the pork knuckle perfectly cooked with great crackling ( wish I knew how to do that). Our waitress was a delightful French girl who could not have been better.

Andy O, Manager at Riley St Garage, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

Thank you for the great review! We hope to see you again soon - RSG

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

This probably should be a 3.5 star. Better than 3 but not quite a 4

I was really excited to try this as I’d heard great things. The setting is very cool with the massive bar area.

We were practically the only ones in the restaurant so it lacked buzz and atmosphere.

We had a few beers and cocktails to start.

For entree we ordered the chorizo, pate, burrata & accidentally ordered the beef carpaccio. Accidentally being we did order it, but cancelled it, but still got it. I don’t think the waitress heard us say we didn’t want it.

Any the carpaccio came out. I’m a huge carpaccio fan (its my go to at Pendolinos every.single.time). This was more like beef tartare which I don’t like. Way too thick and lacked the condiments (truffle oil, Parmesan, savoury jam etc etc). We couldn’t eat it.

Chorizo was nice - it was a mouth full like a chorizo ‘popper’

Burrata salad delicious but not enough to share for 4 (waitress should have assisted us with the ordering)

Pate was delicious! Smooth, tasty, delicious accompaniments. Highlight of the entrees. I would have ditched everything and ordered 4 of these!

Mains we shared the pork knuckle and the beef rib eye.

They nailed the mains. Husband who is a pork specialist said it was the best pork knuckle he has ever had !!

Beef rib was cooked to medium and it was delicious.

Sides we had truffle mash; Brussels and ice berg lettuce salad. All very nice.

We shared a cheese plate to finish with 3 cheeses-a nice way to finish and the cheeses were great.

A nice surprise when the waiter left the bottle on the table (which seems to be rare these days) so we could drink at our own pace.

All together including tip, lunch came to just under $800 for four. We had 4-5 bottles of red plus a bottle of muscat.

I thought this was a reasonable bill given the food and wine we had.

Overall it was good, just lacking a few finer details

Riley St. always values your feedback. We are happy that you enjoyed our dishes, as the ones you mentioned are always a favorite among our guests. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

First visit to this great venue last week, can’t believe I haven’t been here before. Beautiful renovated service station, with tons of character. We had a private party downstairs. The food and service was amazing. Will definitely be back again for dinner.

RSG really appreciates your review! We are glad you enjoyed the food and service during your private part. We look forward to having you here for dinner with us again.