“The Answer to Mother's pray”
Review of Big Hostel

Big Hostel
Ranked #9 of 143 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My Son travelled to Australia for his gap year, he ended his trip in Sydney staying in the Big Hostel. I have to say he loved it from the word go, a really clean, secure and cosy hostel.

Any problems my son had with anything the staff at Big Hostel were there to help.

Personally when I had to contact the hostel to get in touch with my son the staff were SO helpful and friendly. Thank you, thank you Big Hostel, when you are 12,500 miles away from your nineteen year old son and you need him to organise flights etc it is such a comfort to know there are people who will help you take care of things. By the way Guy says thanks too.

From a very grateful Mother

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank thorneyhall

Reviewed 19 February 2012

I stayed in a few hostels on my trip down the East Coast and was a little concerned about the prospect of booking a hostel for Sydney - where I was anticipating spending more than a few nights. A friend that I had met travelling knew someone who lived in Sydney so asked them for a recommendation and Big Hostel was the only one that they had.

I initially arrived at Big on 27 August and only left today (19 Feb)! I found that the staff were friendly and helpful and I was made to feel at home throughout my stay.

The Room - I stayed in a six bed female dorm and was so happy that I was able to get a good night's sleep - even when I went to bed early (this was often).

The Common areas - the kitchen was great as there was even an oven so I could cook proper food when I felt like it. The kitchen is open plan to the main seating area where there is a big screen TV - for rainy afternoon viewing and evenings where you don't have the money to go out. As well as dining tables there are sofas too so that you can make yourself comfortable and socialise with other guests if you want to.

As a 30 something lone female traveller, I was initially reticent about staying in hostels and honestly thought that I would hate them. I have to say that I really enjoyed my stay at BIG, met some friends for life and just hope that there are other hostels throughout the last 6 weeks of my travels that live up to this one.

Room Tip: I found the six bed female dorm perfect as a solo female traveller
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Emma A
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I have stayed in 3 different hostels in Sydney city centre but this was my favourite. We stayed in a family room which was very spacious and clean, as was the en-suite. The room also had air con which is hard to find in a hostel when you're on a budget. The room had a television and dvd player which was handy. The only bad things about the room was that the beds made so much noise when the person in the top bunk moved, and there was no fridge in the room. Towels were provided and changed every two days.

There is a big communal area with some tables and couches but it gets very busy at dinner time so it's hard to find a place to eat. There is a big television with foxtel and a dvd player. The hostel rents dvd's out to you for a $5 deposit which you get back when you return it. The kitchen is an ok size but it gets very busy and people are bumping into each other. The oven was a disaster. It was a mission to start it and when it finally did start it would turn itself off. Breakfast (cereal, toast, tea/coffee) is free every morning between 7am-10am. There are big communal fridges for people to put there things in and labels to attach to your bag.

There is small room terrace for smokers which is handy instead of having to go out onto the street. Good location with central station 5 minutes walk away and the bars, restaurants and clubs are all within 10 minutes walk

I would advise anyone to stay here if you don't mind paying an extra few dollars per night

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank hammer88
Reviewed 1 February 2012

i stayed here for a school excursion with kids aged 10-11. not recommended!! the room i stayed in needed a good clean, tv didn't work, and window didn't open which made room stuffy.staff were friendly enough, but this place is way overpriced for what you get. the smell near the lift nearly knocks you out. the so called bbq roof terrace is not that at all and you wouldn't cook on the bbq anyway. yikes!! i would not recommend big hostel for families at all. felt totally ripped off.

Room Tip: there is none
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank daj70
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Rather than staying in an expensive hotel, my wife and I stayed at the Big Hostel on our visit to Sydney in July, 2011. We reserved a private room which was equipped with its own washroom.

Although the bed was uncomfortable and the walls required a good washing, we enjoyed our three nights. We slept well and appreciated being close to the CBD and Chinatown.

The shared kitchen on the main floor was my most appreciated feature. A quick 5 minute walk to the shops in Chinatown offered us all the fresh produce we needed to make our own meals back at Big. For travelers like myself with dietary concerns, having a kitchen at your disposal is priceless. It is also an economical bonus.

The staff at Big were patient and helpful. They were accommodating and never tired of offering assistance to us while we visited.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the private room.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple