“There will find better accommodation elsewhere with what you pay for Highfield.”

Highfield Private Hotel
Ranked #133 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 June 2011

The accommodation is old and just has the basic amenities. Dirty stairways are infested with dead bugs. Heater is almost non existent during winter. The only positives are the excellent location and basic breakfast.

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank iamPaulPaul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 April 2011

This hostel should not even be available to stay at, or view as a place to stay. They took my money after I cancelled the booking well before the 72hour refund policy, I was expecting a standard cancellation fee of $25AUD, but I was wrongly charged the full amount. With an explanation from them that didnt make any sense. They were in the wrong.

Rude Staff. Dodgy Policies, and I strongly feel they borderline scam artist. DO NOT give them your details. I hope you get this review and those from others before booking in to the hell.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank globertrotter23

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Reviewed 31 March 2011

I don't understand why you can still find this so called hotel on many bookingsites. I wrote a mail to booking.com and they told me to look at it. That was 3 months ago...and still no change..
All they have to do is remove it from the site and the place will close his doors in one month because no one would stay there more than one night!

I think this place is runned by the Indian mob. One night I saw some heavy indian guys standing behind the receptiondesk and walking away with I think pretty sure a bag of money..

So that's even a beter reason to close this dump!

Come on, bookingsites..listen to your customers!!!

• Stayed February 2011
3 Thank Dudlymoore
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 March 2011

THE WORSE hotel anyone could ever encounter!!
Although the room stunk of dust & had stained walls & carpet, and only 1 female toilet working (male toilets did not work, the boys had to use the girls), this was the least of our problems, as we knew we wouldn't be staying in Hilton-standard when we booked.

The hotel staff are THE RUDEST people I have EVER met!!! So much so that we have put in a police report about one, as she was constantly calling us "b*tches & sl*ts" and was constantly told we had an "attitude" when trying to resolve a problem.
DO NOT give them your mobile number upon booking as i received 4 unnecessary phone calls within 1 hour, & had 5 missed calls within 2 minutes, again, for unnecessary reasons.
We were accused of having our "music too loud & having tenants complain", when we had no music on, but we were across the road from a nightclub.
As we were all young, white Australians staying this one night, she refused to talk to "our people" when accusing us of having the non-existent music too loud. (When reading this, please understand that although we're young, we are respectable of the hotels we stay in & others staying in the hotel. We have stayed in many hotels before, and have never had a complaint).
We went downstairs explaining this fact (the nightclub was the blame for the music) to her for 40 minutes (COMPLETE waste of time!!!).
She then accused us of sneaking people up into our room (which is impossible as there is a PIN-required gate for you to go up to the rooms - only good thing about the hotel, the security!). We were then given the option of leaving, or she would keep our $100 bond.
A lady who worked at the hostel right next door came to see what the yelling was about. After hearing the story of her accusing us of several changing stories, her response was "ahh this place is like bold & the beautiful, so many dramas every night".
After this statement, we knew we were not the only ones this had happened too.

I would strongly recommend to NOT stay in here, even as a last resort!! Sleeping on the street would have been a must better option than giving this place a cent of our money!! I really wish we had come on this site before staying here, because reading the reviews, they're all the same!!
We did end up getting our bond back, only because a different lady was working the reception the next day, and did not know of what happened the night before.

Please, please, PLEASE do not stay here or let anyone you know stay here!!
Hopefully, they will soon have no business that they will have no choice but to shut it down!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank kristielea
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2011

spent 4 nights at the Potts Point Hotel Feb/ Mar 11.
first the positives - reception staff were alright and one got internet wifi vouchers for each day staying (twice the voucher I was given did not work - and reception staff were a somewhat perplexed with the problem, supposedly re-booted the whole system, when they just needed to give me a new voucher (perhaps they were suspiciouse I missused the download limit?, but the second time I came back after like 5 min and who can download 500MB in 5 min? - not my laptop)
negatives -
room was booked as a double, but used just by one person. room was tiny, i.e. bed, fridge, sink, TV (not sure is functional - DVD player was broken out, even though DVDs were on rental offer at reception) and two small nite stands - NO wardrobe space whatsoever, no hangers, no room to put the suitcase except under the bed. pained in funky yellow color scheme, but like the rest of the Hotel (especially toilet and shower rooms in dire need of a re-paint. previouse tenants had decorated my room walls with squshed insects (no wonder - no screens at windows and windows so old that alot of gaps (even if closed)) - but room-cleaning did not seem to see it frinedly to wipe off the bloody smears from walls.
Shower and toilet room superficially clean, but ingrained stains in shower floor (i.e. last re-furbed, form the looks - 15+ years ago). Paint on ceiling flacky and moldy.

Breakfast??? - there was some bread lying out in the kitchen, but milk, butter and jam were to be found in the fridge - not labelled in anyway though (and big butter chunk still in it's wrapper), not sure if I ate the Hotels or some other occupants - everybodies food was all over the fridge. Skipped the breakfast after one try.

I am aware that Potts Point did not advertise luxery - and am aware that a 2* is not a 3 or 4*. I was aware that bathrooms would be shared, in my mind that was what made the 2* rating.
I chose Potts Point over the backpacker hostels on offer, though slightly more expensive, as it was called HOTEL and I thought therefore I could expect slightly more comfort than in a Hostel. There was a backpacker hostel right next door - it looked much better than Potts Point from the outside -would have moved there, if I had not pre-payed my stay at Potts through the internet.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo