1,438 results
All reviews guest lounge george street great location darling harbour central station first floor capitol theatre small room close to china town rain shower light rail family room bed was comfortable short stay world square reception staff public transport
Reviewed 20 November 2017 via mobile

Wanted a good hotel, not too expensive, before taking a cruise from Sydney. The Pensione was perfect! Good location on George Street close to Chinatown and a short walk from the Town Hall train station. Staff are great - Ali was particularly helpful. Plenty of eating places around and some good bars too. Easy short walk to Darling Harbour which is lovely.
Room was small but comfortable - no safe though which meant we had to carry passports etc everywhere.
Would definitely go back again next time in Sydney.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
PensioneSydney, Manager at 1831 Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2017

Dear Peter S,
On behalf of our team i would like to thank you for your lovely review. I't was certainly a pleasure looking after you.
I'm glad that our location was perfect! We look forward to welcome you back in the near future. Safe travels!

Reviewed 17 November 2017

A really lovely hotel. The rooms have some quirky shapes and are very basic with just a wardrobe, chair, stocked bar fridge and tea and coffee making facilities. However, the bed was king size and very comfy. I don't know if the whole of the hotel has had a refurb, but our room had, so was spotlessly clean. The bathroom was also very new and supplied shampoo, conditioner and shower gels.

We loved the guest lounge which contained a small kitchen area with microwave, toaster, electric kettle, complete with crockery and cutlery so that you could cater for yourself if you wanted to. There was also a selection of teas and coffees for you to help yourself.

The location was great, close to Chinatown and only a few minutes from Darling Harbour and Town Hall Station. There is also an airport shuttle bus which operates every 30 minutes and costs $15 a trip

There is also a laundry room with washing machines and dryers (payable) but handy if you are away for a long while and need to do some washing.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Would definitely return again.

Room Tip: 1st floor can be a little noisy with the rumbles from the trains underneath
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
PensioneSydney, Manager at 1831 Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2017

Dear Gary A,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey.

Feedback from our guests is very important to us as it allows us to continually improve the products and services that we offer at our wonderful hotel.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the Pensione Hotel and you found the Front Office team to be extremely helpful.

We love to always look after our return guests and guarantee best rates so please don’t hesitate to contact me directly the next time you are coming to Sydney. Similarly, if you are traveling to other locations throughout Australia or Paris and would like me to make enquiries with our sister properties on your behalf, I will be more than happy to do so.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Pensione Hotel again soon.

Reviewed 15 November 2017

Pensione Sydney was a nice little place to stay for one night. Located just one block away from Chinatown, the location is great for the price. Check-in is 3pm, so if you plan to fly-in early and unpack in your hotel room, check yourself before you wreck yourself.

However, the staff are more than willing to keep a hold of your luggage, so you can relieve yourself of excess before going off to explore. They will even have it waiting in your room when you finally wrangle yourself away from the delights of the city and decide to call it a day. The reception staff were lovely and almost always at the desk whenever I passed (I have a feeling it is 24 hour reception service, but was unconscious at 10pm, so I would not know).

The room itself was as advertised (though I was delightfully surprised to have been randomly upgraded to shoebox when I had booked for a matchbox). The bed was comfy, the air-con was nice, and the wi-fi was little on the slow side (so don't expect to indulge in uninterrupted Netflix whilst you're winding down for night).

In your room, you'll find a desk with enough magazines to occupy you, a complimentary notepad and pencil (I don't think the sharpener provided is meant to be taken, or at least I did not take mine) and a selection of coffees and teas and a kettle (with sugar/sweetener and some small milk packets in your bar fridge). As with all hotels, any food in the fridge costs money. The bar fridge itself was inside a cupboard above a small safe and below an iron, a hair dryer and an ironing board. Quite a few appliances to make your stay just that little bit easier.

The rainshower was pleasant, and whilst I did not use the shampoo/soap/other provided, they smelled nice. Be warned, there is no toothpaste. A presumption on my behalf did set my dental hygiene on the back benches for a day or two. Bring your own.

The shared kitchen/guest waiting room on the first level through the firedoor was a bit of a mystery to find, but it is a quaint little spot to eat a microwaved meal.

Overall, with three different sets of stairs to get into the hotel, one main stairway which creaked as if starring in a horror film, door cards that require finesse and practice to enter rooms, and an elevator which made sounds that curdled my stomach whenever I set foot it in, my stay at Pensione Sydney was exactly what I needed. A decent room, clean and with everything required to make the stay pleasant, quick and easy. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
PensioneSydney, Manager at 1831 Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2017

Dear LazarusJames,
It's always great to see that your stay amazing, thank you for reviewing our property. I'm glad that our location was to your liking and you found our team fantastic! Hopefully we get to welcome you back in the future so we can look after you again!

Reviewed 15 November 2017

Great location, step out of the hotel and you are close to everything you wish to visit in central Sydney.
Easy reachable by train (station Museum).
Lots of restaurants close by.
Short walk to Darling Harbour and Circular Quay.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear ronald_jenkinson,
Thank you for staying with us and for your review.
I'm glad that our location was to your liking and you found our team great. Hopefully we get to welcome you back in the near future!
Ali M

Reviewed 14 November 2017

First appearances were good, but quickly evaporated after entering the room. Sparse furniture, beds that were too soft and old (rolling into middle), and a shower that only dribbled out water. Cheap accommodation at a convenient location. Was fairly quiet also.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
PensioneSydney, Manager at 1831 Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2017

Dear familyman322,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey.

I am saddened to hear that our room was not to your liking. Rest assured our team will work hard to ensure future experiences are top notch!

We love to always look after our return guests and guarantee best rates so please don’t hesitate to contact me directly the next time you are coming to Sydney. Similarly, if you are travelling to other locations throughout Australia or Paris and would like me to make enquiries with our sister properties on your behalf, I will be more than happy to do so.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Pensione Hotel again soon.

Warm Regards,