“Great location, simple amenities”

Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels
Ranked #63 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Pensione Sydney was a nice little place to stay for one night. Located just one block away from Chinatown, the location is great for the price. Check-in is 3pm, so if you plan to fly-in early and unpack in your hotel room, check yourself before you wreck yourself.

However, the staff are more than willing to keep a hold of your luggage, so you can relieve yourself of excess before going off to explore. They will even have it waiting in your room when you finally wrangle yourself away from the delights of the city and decide to call it a day. The reception staff were lovely and almost always at the desk whenever I passed (I have a feeling it is 24 hour reception service, but was unconscious at 10pm, so I would not know).

The room itself was as advertised (though I was delightfully surprised to have been randomly upgraded to shoebox when I had booked for a matchbox). The bed was comfy, the air-con was nice, and the wi-fi was little on the slow side (so don't expect to indulge in uninterrupted Netflix whilst you're winding down for night).

In your room, you'll find a desk with enough magazines to occupy you, a complimentary notepad and pencil (I don't think the sharpener provided is meant to be taken, or at least I did not take mine) and a selection of coffees and teas and a kettle (with sugar/sweetener and some small milk packets in your bar fridge). As with all hotels, any food in the fridge costs money. The bar fridge itself was inside a cupboard above a small safe and below an iron, a hair dryer and an ironing board. Quite a few appliances to make your stay just that little bit easier.

The rainshower was pleasant, and whilst I did not use the shampoo/soap/other provided, they smelled nice. Be warned, there is no toothpaste. A presumption on my behalf did set my dental hygiene on the back benches for a day or two. Bring your own.

The shared kitchen/guest waiting room on the first level through the firedoor was a bit of a mystery to find, but it is a quaint little spot to eat a microwaved meal.

Overall, with three different sets of stairs to get into the hotel, one main stairway which creaked as if starring in a horror film, door cards that require finesse and practice to enter rooms, and an elevator which made sounds that curdled my stomach whenever I set foot it in, my stay at Pensione Sydney was exactly what I needed. A decent room, clean and with everything required to make the stay pleasant, quick and easy. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
PensioneSydney, Manager at Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear LazarusJames,
It's always great to see that your stay amazing, thank you for reviewing our property. I'm glad that our location was to your liking and you found our team fantastic! Hopefully we get to welcome you back in the future so we can look after you again!

Duty Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,390)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great location, step out of the hotel and you are close to everything you wish to visit in central Sydney.
Easy reachable by train (station Museum).
Lots of restaurants close by.
Short walk to Darling Harbour and Circular Quay.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear ronald_jenkinson,
Thank you for staying with us and for your review.
I'm glad that our location was to your liking and you found our team great. Hopefully we get to welcome you back in the near future!
Ali M

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

First appearances were good, but quickly evaporated after entering the room. Sparse furniture, beds that were too soft and old (rolling into middle), and a shower that only dribbled out water. Cheap accommodation at a convenient location. Was fairly quiet also.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
PensioneSydney, Manager at Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear familyman322,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey.

Feedback from our guests is very important to us as it allows us to continually improve the products and services that we offer at our wonderful hotel.

I am saddened to hear that our room was not to your liking. Rest assured our team will work hard to ensure future experiences are top notch!

We love to always look after our return guests and guarantee best rates so please don’t hesitate to contact me directly the next time you are coming to Sydney. Similarly, if you are travelling to other locations throughout Australia or Paris and would like me to make enquiries with our sister properties on your behalf, I will be more than happy to do so.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Pensione Hotel again soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were greeted by their friendly staff Sarah which provided us with all the information we needed on check in. Room was spacious and clean and surprisingly silent (hotel is located on George Street and it was pretty noisy outside with tram construction). Kitchen was cleaned regularly and it had all utensils needed. Perfect location; you can walk pretty much everywhere from there. Only negative was the air-con which was a bit noisy at times.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family

Dear deborahi867,
Thank you for your stay and for your review. I'm glad that our location was to your liking and Sarah is over the moon for the mention! We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The stay got off to a bad start when I got all the way up to my 3rd floor room via the very slow and smelly lift and some stairs, only to find that neither of my room keys worked. All the way back down I went with my bags... The keys were reset for me, but it was strongly implied it was user error. Perhaps it was, but a warning that the key readers can be finicky would have been helpful in the first place.

I couldn't fault the appearance or cleanliness of the room. I expected it to be small based on the description - I considered it 'cosy'. I appreciated the music playing on the TV when I entered the room - it felt more welcoming than the usual silence.

The bed was a little on the soft side for my taste, but that's a very personal thing so tough for a hotel to get right for everyone.

The worst thing for me, and the reason I would not stay here again, was the constant air con and lack of opening windows or ventilation. This meant that the room became extremely stuffy and dry overnight. So much so that I woke at 4.30am both mornings with a sore throat and dry mouth, and dry skin on my hands. Not fun! I've stayed at many hotels over the years, and I can only recall one other location that became that stuffy and dry overnight.

The physical location is fine - halfway between Central and Town Hall stations, and close to plenty of shops and eateries, including World Square.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Margaret C

Dear Margaret C,
Thanks for your review. We are sorry to read that your experience fell short in relation to the air condition. Rest assured our team will work hard to ensure future experiences are top notch! Hope to see you again soon!