“I'm going out with CAKE!”
Review of Black Star Pastry

Black Star Pastry
Ranked #2 of 51 Bakeries in Sydney
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Newtown
Melbourne, Australia
“I'm going out with CAKE!”
Reviewed 31 July 2015 via mobile

As previously mentioned - I've had an extended stay in Sydney - I've found a new local, unfortunately it's my last day in this grand town. To celebrate, or commiserate!? I'm going out with cake for breakfast.

The team here have been amazing, truly welcoming - pastry chef welcomed me as I snuck in this morn - the coffee has been superlative, of the 2 doz I've downed, not ones been a dud.

All the breakfast fare was on show as I strode passed the cabinet, my fave: mushroom toasty. However I couldn't go without cake!

Visited July 2015

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
“Great hole in the wall cafe”
Reviewed 26 July 2015

Great coffee, very busy on a weekend, be prepared to line up to be served. The watermelon cake is to die for.

• Visited July 2015
New South Wales, Australia
“OMG”
Reviewed 22 July 2015

Omg the watermelon cake is amazing ,it sells out very fast get in quick to get a piece coffee is good as ,I have had the brownie here as well it was nice

Visited May 2015
Auckland, New Zealand
“Just a quick coffee for us”
Reviewed 11 July 2015 via mobile

Pretty good quality coffee. Really nice spot to sit in the sun though lots of families with kids due to the excellent playground.

Visited July 2015
1 Thank skiltrick
Melbourne, Australia
“Worth one try”
Reviewed 7 July 2015 via mobile

Long queue lines as they don't take down orders quickly.
Famously known for their strawberry and watermelon cake, numerous asians flock down for that typical instagramable photograph. For those buying multiple slices, buy a whole cake itself as it will be cheaper.
Worth a try for their famous cake but it comes at a premium price. Would be nicer if they used ripe or overripe watermelon in their cake (perhaps it was not in season?).
Coffee was decent
Overall, it was okay but not good enough for me to come back specifically for that cake anytime soon.

Visited June 2015