“Overpriced”

Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Description: Layered with timeless colonial furnishings including timber floors with tiled inlay, bamboo framed French woven chairs and slow turning ceiling fans, Mr. Wong pays homage to classic Chinese influences in a contemporary style. The Cantonese-style menu features over 60 dishes as well as an unrivalled dim sum selection. Sprawled over two levels, the 240 seater Mr. Wong is one of the largest restaurants in the northern end of the Sydney CBD. It offers a range of dining options varying from large group tables, through to intimate tables for two and seating at the open kitchen.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

First of all if you are going to accept reservations for 8pm on Good Friday you have too, have too, absolutely have too advise people that the kitchen will be closing at 9pm. We chose the later sitting to celebrate my wife's Birthday so we could take our time, very disappointing.
We chose to share six main meals and the fried rice which is supposed to compliment all the other dishes came out after the first three, Our food was Ok, but you could by the same quality at a lot of other restaurants for a fraction of the price.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,406)

Reviewed 5 April 2018

I love watching chefs at work - and Mr Wong's combines a beautiful setting with two open kitchen areas. I loved the atmosphere of the colonial building. Service was friendly and attentive, with my modest food needs catered for well. The chef's platter of dim sim was fabulous and the roast duck was meaty and tender.
My gripe is that they have tried to fit in too many tables. A special meal includes conversation - which requires enough space so that you can hear each other without being drowned out by the laughter and chat from the table next to you. This somewhat takes the shine off a terrific restaurant.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Working in the Sydney CBD, I had been to Mr.Wong's for a Business Lunch about a year earlier,This time it was my youngest daughters Birthday and she insisted on going to Mr.Wong's.
So a Family Lunch for 7 at Mr. Wong's, What a difference it is when your relaxed and can appreciate your surroundings. My Daughter did the ordering, and the food was great, even a picky Eater( My Wife) enjoyed it
thoroughly. It's always Busy , so make a booking if your serious about getting there on a specific Day.
There is a lot of Hustle and Bustle , which gives the place Atmosphere, Wine and drinks acceptable and it's not Cheap, not expensive, in the Middle , Just Right.
If you want an Asian Meal with Atmosphere, No better Place.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Friendly staff. Food was disappointing and extremely over priced. Need some sides of veggies or something.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Mr Wong is definitely a popular destination and for good reason, the place looks incredible. Visually the restaurant sets the standard, the decor sets the tone, atmosphere and personality of the establishment. The staff are incredibly knowledgeable and have the restaurant running like a well oiled machine, which at times can feel a little intimidating.

The food is good, the dumplings were delicious and were my favourite course. The fried rice, was good but needed some more punch & flavour.

I can't fault the service, we visited for my birthday lunch and was surprised when a complimentary dessert came to the table as I was getting ready to ask for the bill. It was a really nice touch and topped off the visit.

Will definitely come again for more dumplings!