All reviews free pancakes food nights big kitchen clean kitchen drink vouchers central station enjoyed my stay the heart of the city opera house partying nightlife
Reviewed 16 May 2015

We stayed at Maze for 4 nights in a twin room. My girlfriend and I don't like sharing a room because you never know who your room mate will be. Everything was pretty good. A little bit loud on the friday night but that is expected in a hostel on a weekend. After 11pm most people had gone out so sleeping was just fine. The room was clean and big enough to sleep and keep our stuff in since we were out most of the day. Just using the room to sleep. Bathrooms were reasonably clean considering there are about 50 people sharing the bathroom. I don't have any complaints at all about the hostel. Reception staff was friendly and always willing to help.

If you are looking to party in the CBD and simply just somewhere to stay, Maze is a great spot for a good price. Lots of restaurants close to the hostel too and only about a 20 min walk to circular quay and tons of shops.

Room Tip: get a room away from the common rooms and bathroom since these are high traffic areas
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cp152015
Reviewed 13 May 2015

I booked to stay at Maze for a 3 days, 4 months later I've just checked out. When I arrived I was greeted with a friendly smile by professional staff. They are on hand 24/7 to deal with any questions you might have and always provide excellent service. Over the past few months my friend and I have gotten to know a few members of staff better and they include Holly, Amy and the manager Nick, all of whom are very friendly and can't do enough for you. Nick is always looking for ways to improve the hostel and to keep pushing it forward.
There are always plenty of activities both during the day and at night to keep you occupied when the weather is a bit rubbish, but at night, the hostel really comes to life! Plenty of drinking games with a vast communal area makes for a good pre sesh drinking venue with free goon layed on most nights of the week to save you money and get you ready for a big night out in Sydney!
All in all, it is a brilliant hostel in a great location with the best staff around. Defiantly worth staying here if you ever come to Sydney and are looking for a good time!

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2015

We stayed at maze for approximately 3 weeks. Me and my boyfriend stayed in a twin room in the yellow area. We thought it was very basic and small for what you pay. After 1 week I went to the reception and asked for someone to vacuum the floor. We waited another week and the floor was still not vacuumed. The room was small so It was not a big job. As for the hostel itself we found the guests very rude and inconsiderate of others. We often cooked in the kitchen, we thought it was well equiped and kept clean. The guests often drank in the kitchen area and enjoyed playing goon pong each evening. This game often took up the majority of the tables and the guests were not willing to let us sit down and eat our dinner in peace. Often very noisey and we often rushed our dinner in order to get out of the loud kitchen. Overall our experience was OK, just a shame about the manners of the fellow guests. Would have been great if our room was serviced. The hostel could be greatly improved.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sharkie2015
Reviewed 4 May 2015

This was by far one of the worst experiences I have ever had as a traveling couple looking for accommodation. I came with my girlfriend who checked in a few hours earlier then me as I was traveling in from Brisbane...She texted me when she got there saying the manager was very flirtatious with her, even volunteering to walk her up to her room which I felt was extremely inappropriate. Upon myself checking in I felt uncomfortable about the whole process... I sensed the manager, who was wearing a shirt saying his name was NICK, was also hitting on me which was creeper, especially due to the experience my girlfriend just had.

Once I was checked in my stay was actually really pleasant. We stayed at the hostel for 5 days, there was really fun activities and they offered good food a few times while we stayed.

We decided we were going to stay a few more night and then things just got worse...
While waiting in line to see about staying longer we saw the same manager in conversation with someone who had been staying at the hostel about leaving his bag overnight as he was heading out for some reason I don't remember. The manager looked him right in the eye and said with everything that is going on in Nepal we are donating anything that is left overnight in the baggage claim to Nepal... I thought he was kidding but he was dead serious... I don't know what the managers problem is there but he certainly does not know how to run a hostel and the backpacker culture.

I have never used tripadvisor before but wanted to post this up here to see if anyone else has had uncomfortable experiences with the manager Nick?

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Carl R
NICK-MazeManager, General Manager at Maze Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2015

Hi Carl,

Thanks for bringing this matter to our attention. It’s unfortunate to read that the experience you had at Maze wasn’t the full experience we pride ourselves on. While we understand that not all of your stay was disappointing, there were parts that were.

At Maze we’ve a culture of making sure all of our guests have a great, fun and unique experience. We offer to assist all of guests with their luggage if they look like they might need a hand. As the hostel doesn’t have a lift, it’s a courtesy we extent to everyone. In no way, shape or form was this an advance, towards you or your girlfriend. I’m sorry that it was interpreted this way and made you both uncomfortable; I’m actually genuinely surprised to read this.

With our fundraising efforts for the Nepal Earthquake appeal, everyone banded together and raised $700 so far. You must of caught the tail end of the conversation. Any items, which are left in storage after 3 months, are usually donated to charity, on this occasion to raise more funds for the appeal these old items were to be sold. We are always happy to store items for guests for the day. A simple misunderstanding it seems.

If my over enthusiastic personality and sense humour were misinterpreted, making you both feel uncomfortable, that was never the intention and please accept my apologies. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention and I’ll be more mindful moving forward. At Maze we pride ourselves on the high level of customer service, events, activities we host in a fun environment.

Thanks,

Nick.

Reviewed 1 May 2015 via mobile

A big hostel in a great location in Sydney. Walking distance to a lot of things. The hostel rooms are pretty standard for Australia and the bathrooms are decent. Lots of activities are organised daily and there's a few free meals every week. There's pre drinks in the main area most nights so it's easy to meet new people!

Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends