“spend a bit more and stay somewhere else”

The Palms Backpackers
The Palms Backpackers
Ranked #84 of 143 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed 27 July 2010

very unprofessional managment, the manager himself is never there and when he is he is rude and unhelpful and just a bit of a creep really, the reception is open 4 hours a day and there are constantly backpackers coming in with no clue as what to do becuase there is never any one at the reception. they have backpackers who work for accomadation, but when they are on duty they are usually hungover so you have to get someone to go to their room to wake them up so you can check in/ check out. this place is mainly for long stay backpackers and so it is very clicky and make other guests feel very unwelcome. The rooms though are quite clean, just other peoples stuff piled everywhere. other hostels are much better, this one doesnt do day trips or free food or anything like that and arn't helpful in helping you out. fri.sat nights are very loud so dont count on getting a good nights sleep! strangers and homeless people have been known to walk in, get in peoples bedrooms, steal food etc and no one bats an eyelid, the hostel is right next door to a rowdy homeless shelter. however it does have free internet!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Sonnylamb15
There are newer reviews for The Palms Backpackers

Reviewed 10 July 2010

We stayed in 3 backpackers in Kings Cross in the space of 10 days because we weren't very happy with the standard of them, but this was the worst. It desperately needs more cutley, crockery and cooking equipment to make the kitchen usable. The rooms are scruffy and look like they never get a proper clean. Something is very off with the management of the place - our double room had a single duvet on the bed, and when we went down to sort it out the office was closed and I couldn't find a number to call for after hours. One of the other residents said that this happened to them also, and they got another single duvet off an empty bed. What great housekeeping, not! Another resident helped us out by going into the office, grabbing the keys to the rooms and nicking a duvet off a spare dorm bed for us from another room. Wow. After this we were afraid to leave anything of any value in our rooms, as security was as loose as a set of keys hanging on the wall of an unattended office. They have very limited office hours, so even if the staff were helpful, they could only be helpful 4 hours of the day. One of the managers was very unhelpful when I couldn't find any cups to use in the morning. He said that other residents must be keeping the mugs in their rooms and I had the option of waiting for someone to give one up or going up to their rooms and asking for them back. HE should have been going to the rooms to get them to give them up! I did find a couple in the end - with no handles. All the mugs seemed to be missing their handles. There are signs all over the hostel saying things like "Quiet after 10pm! People causing a disturbance to the neighbours will be asked to leave the hostel" and "Bathroom for private room use only - dorm stayers caught using this bathroom will be fined $10" which apparently everyone ignores because we were kept awake till the early hours by people running up and down the halls yelling, and smoking and drinking in the courtyard and fire escape which was just outside our window, and I had to queue for our own bathroom in the morning. BTW the toilet was broken, so we had to use one on a different floor. Wouldn't it have been simpler to put us on a different floor? Maybe a quieter one? There did seem to be a lot of long term stayers, and they seemed slightly hostile to us, like we were intruding on their soap opera lives, and they were obviously treating the place like their own ie. badly. And the free breakfast - whoopee do! Toast and jam. Sydney Central Backpackers had a better brekkie even.

It's a little sad because the building is not bad, and the location is good - it could be a good place, but it isn't.

I could be spoilt because I'm used to NZ backpackers, but this place was significantly worse run than the worst NZ backpackers I've stayed at.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2010

The word that keeps coming to mind when I think about this place is APPALLING!!!

When you get a double bed, you don't expect to have to try and share a single duvet!!

This place is obviously loved by long term guests, which is fine if you're one of them, they act like a student flat or family, but they make the stay bloody awful for everyone else. I didn't enjoy having to step over them to get to the door as they lounge on the floor watching TV, or particularly their ceaseless noise all night.

When we asked the manager where to find the cups/mugs in the kitchen he said the long termers keep them in their rooms and that if we want one we should go door knocking. WTF isn't that the managers job, not the guest's?

I could go on and on about how bad this place was, but quite frankly I can't be bothered wasting my time on the place, just as long as anyone reading this review gets the picture, DON"T TAKE THEM YOUR CUSTOM, do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else, Eva's just around the corner was completely acceptable.

Two nights stay here, was three nights too long!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank areviewforyoufromme
Reviewed 16 September 2008

Probably the worst hostel I stayed in during my 8 weeks in Oz.

From the looks of it, I stayed in the same room as mittencat, and would agree with everything she said (although I didn't see any roaches)

It was a dirty, clicky little place, and the room was ridiculously noisy, overlooking the fire escape wher everyone would sit, smoke and drink.

One of the neighbours would shout at the residents every night, and I didn't blame him.

• Stayed: December 2005, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank FunkyMunkey106
Reviewed 18 May 2008

I stayed here for two months with my boyfriend in March and April.
I have read some reviews on the hostel after staying here and was quite surprised-i guess other travellers must have come at a bad time-as the hostel was clean when we arrived.

Our room had brand new beds and carpets, we also had a fridge and a tv, which was great for the price that we were paying as this seemed to be the cheapest hostel in the area.

On a few occasions i found it difficult to sleep because of the noise, but this was due to birthday parties etc. as for the rest of our time here we loved it.

Its a great chilled out place-which is strange for Kings Cross! The staff were pretty cool, and i we got free brekky which was awesome!

Overall a great place to stay Sydney

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)