Lock in great prices from these sites
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 January 2017 via mobile

The place smells like smoke, alcohol, and weed. The shower gets cold after 5 minutes. The wifi is terrible (basically nonexistent). You can almost never laundry (it's packed all day). After washing my clothes, I couldn't dry them for 3 days since every dryer was being used. The whole place is dirty. You get what you pay for.

Date of stay: January 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
5  Thank Kevin S
Reviewed 10 December 2016

The Rooftop Lodge was ok for the first week, they chase everyone from the roof at 9 pm, no music is allowed, you can't have a beer on the roof, and the wifi I was promised worked well does not work at all. All this was fine, you think the price makes it worth the hot water running out after a 4 minute shower, the constant smell of weed in the corridors, the 4 washing machines to service 80+ people. But then they put a couple in my room. The constant bickering and sex was enough to drive anyone crazy, the girl actually shouted at me once when I turned the aircon unit on. On that- the aircon is programmed to shut off after two hours, meaning at night you'll be waking up every two hours to turn it back on. When I asked to move to another room I was heavily discouraged with a fine I would have to pay, and I would only be able to move in two weeks time the manager said. All in all, this place isn't worth half what they charge and in the interest of keeping sane, avoid avoid avoid.

Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
5  Thank Jan-Adrian M
Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

Cheap and cheerful, I first stayed here back in April when I was travelling the east coast with friends because my brother has been staying long term and recommended it. The owner Bruno is a total babe, so helpful and fair and made a conscious effort to remember everyone's name. Sophie and the rest of the staff were great, and always on hand. They have a free laundry service, and you can buy pouches of detergent at reception for $2 each. Each room is 4pax, with their own bathroom and basic kitchen equipment. The kitchen upstairs is big, the only inconvenience is sometimes the electricity hadn't been turned on so you'd have to go to reception and then back up to the kitchen. The rooftop is great, especially in beautiful weather. This hostel isn't a party hostel. It's quieter with more of a family feel and long term travellers. A lot of construction workers who are early risers and therefore it's pretty quiet at night and busier at the weekend. I stayed here again when I came back to Aus in September, and friends I'd previously met were still staying there. If I came back again, no doubt I'll be back, even if it was just to visit :)

Date of stay: September 2016
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank melissalw2026
Reviewed 24 July 2016 via mobile

Solo traveller on working holiday. Read this to the end, its really important amongst us backpackers.

Pros: room size was good, big kitchen

Cons:
Not much to do in glebe, shops, restaurants close early. Only bus runs into CBD, need to get 2 buses to Newtown or Kings cross if you like to go out.

Manager Bruno, he was really rude about me asking for a room move. Not all dorm rooms look like the photos on hostel world and after I mentioned that I was shown one room and given another worse room, he said rooms are all the same. No wardrobe in my room, it was full with ironing board. He then got argumentative and patronising and asked if I was calling him a liar. I hadn't said that, just said rooms were not all the same after he said all rooms are the same. He was therefore catching himself in a lie! He then apologised later for the way he spoke to me. It was quite upsetting how he spoke to me. After that, I didn't know that he added a note on the system saying don't extend my stay. I stayed one week and was going to stay another week because I was out all weekend and checking out on a sunday!!

Policy that Bruno told me is that your not allowed to have more than 2 friends in the same room so no point booking there if you've made friends here.

No atmosphere for meeting people. Rooftop and kitchen is locked after 9pm. So if you get hungry you have to walk ages as the shops close around 9 too.

Pricing is inaccurate too, it costs $154 a week on hostel world but when you want to extend, it will cost $175 a week.

Lots of rules. No alcohol allowed on rooftop, lockout at 9pm.

Overall, the hostel looks nice but the manager made it a bad experience, no atmosphere, no social area to meet others, I was fine because I was with a few friends.

Date of stay: June 2016
Trip type: Travelled solo
5  Thank WinnieGla
Reviewed 20 April 2016

I've been there for 6 months, it's a good location to visit and live in Sydney, Glebe is a nice suburb!
Staff amazing!!!! ...I spent really good time with everybody...
It' s good accommodation for worker and traveler.

I recommend!!!
Thank you guys to enjoy every single moment all together!!!

Date of stay: September 2015