New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Ever consistent Wentworth” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofitel Sydney Wentworth

Sofitel Sydney Wentworth
Ranked #55 of 179 Hotels in Sydney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (685)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

I was in Sydney on business. On the one hand for me this hotel is super convenient being right next to my office which is great. Sadly that is unfortunately the best thing about it in terms of the real estate.
This hotel would not qualify as 5* anywhere in the world. The rooms are basically 3* but the bed is better than average. The bathrooms are certainly 3* with a weak shower head and toilets that connect to the wall with a VERY rusty huge pipe that is close to disgusting.
The lobby is dated and the ceiling is low - not a big deal for me but i know some people care about this. I also find it strange that this hotel has lobby that shuts after 11pm - very uncommon even in a 4* hotel.
The service good and generally helpful. The services such as room service were good but the fare not fantastic. The one very good thing was the deal on the movies which was a 24 hour wrap around all the movies you can watch for just under the price of 2 which is excellent for me and they had a wide range of all the of the latest holywood movies.
Overall if it were a 3* hotel and not costing 250 AUD per night it wouldb e fine. Instead you pay 5* pricing for a 3* or if I was being charitable basic 4* accommodation.
Stay at the Park Hyatt if you absolutely need 5* or go to the Westin or Intercontinental for better value

Room Tip: make sure you have a room above 7 so that you guarantee non smoking
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank CurlyHongKong
Sam_Panetta, Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this review, 19 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth.

I appreciate your feedback regarding a number of areas of the Hotel and I apologise that your stay did not meet your expectations. Please be assured that I have advised the relevant department heads of your comments and we are looking in to all areas that you mentioned.

With regards to the lobby doors closing at midnight, this is a security measure that we have in place to ensure that only guests with room keys can enter the Hotel between midnight and the early morning. I apologise if this caused you any issues during your stay.

I was glad to hear though that the service you received was positive and will make sure this is brought to our ambassador's attention.

Thank you again for taking the time to write and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kindest Regards
Sam Panetta
Hotel Manager
Adelaide
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

We booked a Superior King Room with a garden view at the Sofitel Wentworth for 3 nights in April 2012. On the second day of our stay we realized that we had in fact been put in the wrong room. We went down to reception to query this and were merely given a new set of keys for the correct room. The girl did not even make eye contact with us let alone apologize for the mistake.

We were very thankful to have noticed the error as the bed in our initial room was terrible! It had a huge dent in the bed that we sank into resulting in a terrible night sleep!

It became evident to us very quickly that the hotel catered more to the business traveller than the average tourist. We could walk in and out of the hotel on most occasions without so much as a glance from the concierge staff. This became particularly evident when we were completely ignored by staff and a businessman walking 5 metres in front received a very enthusiastic greeting.

The most concerning part of our stay however came at check out. We were told that we owed over $450 for accommodation charges. We explained to the staff member that we had paid in full prior to our arrival to which the staff member agreed and we went on our way. However, upon our return home we found that the amount had been taken off our credit card. We contacted the hotel immediately and after some discussion was told that the amount would be credited immediately. After a week had passed this still had not happened. I finally spoke with a very helpful lady in the finance department who advised that the necessary paperwork was never received by them from the duty manager. Thankfully she looking into it and had processed the refund within the hour.

In the meantime, I contacted the Front Office Manager to discuss my concerns. Notwithstanding that I left a message on his personal voicemail I am yet to receive any response after more than a week.

All in all our stay was rather disappointing and I would not stay at the hotel again even though the hotel is very nice and the rooms were quite good.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

I booked 2 nights at this hotel on a Wotif Mystery Deal so I was pleasantly surprised at the discount of about 66%. The hotel is well located close to the harbour and Martin Place subway and a short walk to Hyde Park, the Domain and Art Gallery, Opera House etc. The staff at reception and concierge were excellent - helpful, friendly and efficient. The room was on the 17th floor but tucked away in a corner - I'm guessing their smallest room but OK for such a low rate. The room facilities were excellent - especially the super comfortable bed. I assumed there would be a pool, spa or sauna in a 5 star hotel so I was surprised to find none of these facilities.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sam_Panetta, Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this review, 17 May 2012

It is wonderful to read that you had a pleasant stay and hope you will stay again with us.

I am glad that you enjoyed the location of the Hotel as well as the cleanliness of the rooms. It was great to read that the service you received from our Reception and Concierge team was friendly and efficient as well. Please be assured that these comments have been passed on to the Front Office Manager to share with his team.

Thank you again for taking the time, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kindest Regards