“wagyu beef & oyster”

Ranked #98 of 6,571 Restaurants in Sydney
Price range: USD 59 - USD 186
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Sokyo. Where the buzz of Tokyo meets a Sydney beat. Allow yourself to be lost in the world of Chef Chase Kojima and his impeccable union of traditional craftsmanship with an innovative take on contemporary flavour. Now open 7 days a week for breakfast and dinner, and lunch Friday and Saturday.
Reviewed 27 March 2017

oysters as entree is soo good with their secret dressing, I can finish 1 dozen as I can't get enough of the sauce and wagyu beef just melts in your mouth. tried their breakfast 1 time only, still prefer the café that I go to

Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

We were looking for something nice not too far from our hotel (Novotel Darling Harbour) and one that didn't require a booking. We love Japanese food and Sokyu fit the bill on all counts. Price wasn't a major consideration although we do like value for money.

The food at Sokyu is beautifully presented and delicious. The combinations of flavours are quite unique and well considered. The meals are designed to be shared and they recommend choosing one option from each section of the menu. We went with some of our waiter's recommendations, one of which was the kingfish ceviche, which was so good we had a second serve! The mushroom tempura was also delicious although a little salty.

We skipped dessert so I can't advise on that. We enjoyed a bottle of Asahi Shuzo Dassai sake which I highly recommend. Not too sweet, not too dry.

The pricing is a little high (I'd say 10% over), but to be expected given the location. The service was rather slow to start but once things got going was fine.

The atmosphere is nice, definitely a restaurant you could come to for a date or a romantic evening, but also for a nice dinner with close friends. I didn't really think it was a restaurant for kids but there were a few tables with small children at them so I guess it depends on your style!

2  Thank Julie L
Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

I want to preface this review by saying my wife and I have been to Sokyo about 5 times now and up until now we have experienced nothing but excellent food and excellent service for each dinner we have had there - a five rating.

On this occasion however we had lunch there and the service and knowledge of wait staff or kitchen about coeliac knowledge was poor.

I had the kingfish miso ceviche which is to die for and followed up with the Japanese BBQ beef sushi roll which was also amazing.

My wife had the chicken robata skewers which were very good. She was let down when she ordered her vegetarian and gluten free sushi roll. We appreciate that they don't quite have that on the menu so they had to put it together there however here is what happened there after. Her sushi came out served on the same plate as my BBQ beef sushi which is a big no no as they are mixing coeliac food with mine which was not coeliac friendly. We sent it back asking for her sushi to be remade and what we got back was the same sushi as before but on separate plates. We proceed to reiterate that the veggie sushi is already contaminated with gluten and they need to redo it. On the 3rd go they finally did it as requested. By that time I had finished mine and was just watching my wife eat her food. Not a good experience when there are just two of us.

The food itself deserves a 5, but the service this time was really disappointing on this one occasion.

I reiterate that every time we have been before there have been no issues and both food and service have been amazing. Not sure what happened this time.

1  Thank Mauricio H
Management response:Responded 13 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review Sokyo, and explaining your previous experiences have been excellent.

I would like to firstly apologize for our mistake when providing our gluten free options and want to let you know this is not usually how Sokyo delivers our dietary requirements.

I will bring this to the attention of our kitchen and waiting staff to make sure this doesn't happen in the future.

Please e-mail me on Sokyo@star.com.au to discuss this matter further.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 23 March 2017

for anyone who loves japanese and great service, Soyko is for you!
their staff are friendly and will more than happily offer their help to choose a dish, which you know will be excellent yet the menu is all to die for which makes the decision making quite hard.
my only fault is their booking system, each time ive tried to book a large number of people i am refused, which is very disappointing as i love to share great food with people and im yet to be able to do so for some unknown reason.

Reviewed 19 March 2017

We came as a family for breakfast.- continental breakfast was $28 and for Continental and Ala carte together it was $38. We enjoyed ourselves- although service was a little slow in clearing plates and bowls.

We enjoyed the food and would return again, so definitely recommend .