“Friendly service, great location, very homely” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Alishan International Guest House
Ranked #33 of 64 Sydney B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“Friendly service, great location, very homely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

A group of 8 of us stayed here on a sports trip for two nights. We weren't the most organised bunch of people and the lovely female manager was very patient with us!
Two of us stayed together in a couple room upsatirs. They said their room was nice and both slept really well.
I was one of the remaining 6 who took a cheaper option and shared bunks with the others. The room was nicely furnished and easily accommodated the 6 of us in a comfortable manner. The communal kitchen was extremely well equipped, although we did not use it as there are so many great places to eat in the vicinity.
All in all it is a great place and I will be using it every time I am in Sydney!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

We are a family of 2 adults and 3 children. We have just finished a very enjoyable 3 week stay at the Alishan. The Guest House has spacious, clean, cosily warm and nicely furnished rooms. We had one of the family rooms and there was plenty of room for the 5 of us and the rooms were nice an quiet. The kitchen is clean and the 2 gas cooktops made cooking easy. We enjoyed using the common dining and lounge area, great place to meet the other guests. The location is fantastic, close to so many very good cafes and restaurants, Broadway shopping center is 5 minutes walk away and buses to the city stop close to the front of the hostel. A great place to stay for a family visiting Sydney!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

I stayed in this Guest House for about two months while working in Sydney and I only moved out because it was fully booked (which I was told about the day I moved in). I guess, that is already telling enough!
I believe that the Alishan Guest House is ideal for single travellers who are looking for a place where they can feel at home and still socialise with other people. What is more, there is lots of space and it looks really pretty, which I am convinced has a beneficial effect not only on the eyes but on the whole person and actually made me happy every time I walked through the little white iron gate and the looked-after garden.
The dormitory is spacious and bright. There is even a sofa and a small desk and enough space to store your stuff. There is a balcony on which you can relax and watch the people on the street without them noticing that you are up there. Bathrooms are shared but it always worked out fine with me.
Kitchen is shared as well: squeaky-clean, spacious and a great opportunity to meet up with other people in the evening or cook quietly at lunch time.
There is a back yard and the living/eating room with tables and TV where you can hang out and relax.
The location is great as well: centrally located but not in the middle of the urban frenzy:
- 23-minute-walk to Central Station (or 5-minute-bus ride)
- bars, shops, cafes close by
- bus stops are 10 meters across the road
- Victoria Park (with a heated-outdoor pool) 5 min down the road
- another Park 15 min up the road
- Library with free Wi-Fi 5 min up the road
Every morning I got up, the manager and the assistant manager greeted me with a big smile and when we cracked some jokes together or had a philosophical discussion about what's important in life, it really made my day.
Shiban and Luis, I will miss you!!

Room Tip: In my view, the best room is the female dorm: spacious, clean, bright and close to the balcony which...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

i came to stay for a few days and ended up staying for three months!

I met so many good friends here and had a great time. We would often cook dinner together and hang out. The place is close to the city and easy to get to and from by public transport. I would recommend it to people who want a quiet friendly place to stay that is not expensive.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Canberra
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2011

I have travelled the world for business and for pleasure; stayed in cheap backpackers and 5–star luxury. Never, ever have I experienced what I experienced at this hostel.

The hostel has some good things to recommend itself, namely the proximity to Darling Harbour and the City, the outward appearance of this Victorian mansion and a decent communal kitchen. But that’s where the good things end I’m afraid.

Firstly, and most importantly, is the extremely rude and aggressive manager. It astounds me that anyone ever hired him to run a hospitality establishment. Far from a pleasant “good evening” when I arrived, I was confronted with abruptness, rudeness, scepticism, mistrust, insults and finally aggression … all because I dared to hold the manager to the booking and price that had been agreed (I have never seen a booking that was so completely wrong!). Thankfully it was all clearly laid out in emails that had been sent back and forth proving my position.

When asked if he treated all his guests as he was treating me, he responded with “Yeah, so what?!”. I was forced to ask multiple times for the key to the room for which I had paid, while he showed significant aggression in refusing to hand it to me. After receiving several unjustified personal insults I was finally left to go to my room in tears. Completely unacceptable!

I note that the owner has responded to other bad reviews on this site with defensive comments that blame the guests! They can’t ALL be rude, aggressive or have misrepresented their experience. He does this instead of addressing their concerns and apologising for their experiences. This too is an unacceptable way to run a hostel. In truth it is holding me back from saying more about the shocking behaviour of the manager.

Even if the staff had been halfway to normal, I would still not recommend this hostel:
- Rooms are noisy as sound carries between rooms and from the hallway easily.
- A lot of rooms have skylights – great idea for those who like to wake up at the crack of dawn. If not a room with a skylight, you can pick a room that opens to the main busy street complete with noisy trucks and buses.
- The showers shoot water every way but down and it isn’t very warm.
- Some rooms are very, very tiny.
- The electrics are dodgy in the old part of the hostel; loose wires in lights and overloaded powerpoints.
- The rooms are very cold with only a tiny oil heater provided to warm up the room – okay in the tiny rooms but not the big rooms.
- Thin towels and thin sheets.
- Pathetically small TV.

And if you choose to stay here despite all of these reasons not to, consider that it is very bad value. Down the road you can have a twin ensuite room, with fridge, big flat screen TV and coffee/tea facilities, all for $10 less than a shared room in this hostel. And as a special bonus you get pleasant helpful staff that don’t seem to resent guests interrupting their TV viewing.

You have been warned!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Hambly11

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels