Ways to Experience Fort Denison Island
from USD 100.95
from USD 153.11
from USD 223.69
More Info
All reviews martello tower sydney harbour circular quay cannon ferry australia
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 September 2017

Family of 3 booked guided tour - $32 per adult included ferry ride, national park fee and guided tour. You could take over a picnic and have a longer stay. Our guide was terrific- very knowledgable and brought history to life for us. Suggest timing your visit for the 1pm canon firering- only one in the Southern Hemisphere.
Really good day out.

Date of experience: September 2017
3  Thank kareenahappy
Reviewed 9 August 2017

To be frank, you can see this island in less than an hour. It is tiny and while it is interesting, you cannot wander around. The tour is expensive. It's worth a short visit if you have nothing else to do but it is not a place where you will return because it's so awesome.

Date of experience: October 2016
1  Thank Leela888
Reviewed 5 August 2017

We arrived by hop on off boat but the time for it to return may have been a little long. Water taxis were also available though. We could not see inside the Tower unless you prebooked a tour but we saw the rest of the fort. There was guide ready to answer any questions and also make sure you had a pass to see the Island. The hop on off boat ticket included this pass.

1  Thank Beverley B
Reviewed 16 July 2017

We took a Captain Cook Cruise ferry from Circular Quay to Fort Denison with our 10 and 8 year old niece and nephew who were in Sydney for a weekend of sightseeing. We bought tickets for $20 each and assumed this included a tour of the Fort; the ticket office didn't mention that it would be an additional $15 to actually go on this tour.
Apparently the National Parks and Wildlife staff member routinely mentions this when you disembark, but no one in our party of 6 heard this. So we were surprised when we sought to enter the tower with the rest of the people there, to be told that we were not on the tour so couldn't see inside this historic structure. She didn't suggest that we could sign up for this tour at this stage either - so we were pretty disappointed by our overall visit experience.
It would appear that this tour is quite separate from Captain Cook Cruise company, presumably explaining why they weren't actually promoting this from their ticket office, Don't understand why the National Parks and Wildlife ranger didn't make provision for us when it became apparent we had not realised this wasn't included in our ferry ticket. Thankfully we were at least able to leave the island an hour later, because what was on offer certainly didn't need more time than this.

3  Thank Sydneygal007
Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

I grew up on Fort Denison. My family and I lived there from 1986-1992...the last caretakers of this beautiful spot. I will always call the Fort my spiritual home.
Visiting today, my wife made it known to the tour guide (I think her name was Romaine, but let's call her 'Marge' as she never actually introduced herself, we only overheard a deckhand call out to her) that myself and my folks (including my dad who was caretaker and tour guide for many many years) were on the tour. A smile and a nod was the only acknowledgement from Marge. Then we endured a rather tedious and poorly structured tour that cost a ridiculous sum, skipping many important historical (yet fascinating) facts.
I wanted to show my daughter my old bedroom, living room, kitchen, bathroom. All off limits. No exceptions.

- Currently no cafe/restaurant
- Grounds and displays have not been maintained (the historical tide machine is all but a pile of dust and rusted metal)
- Lack lustre visual displays (they call a couple of rooms with some old photos and history info a 'self-guided tour')
- Expensive tour
- The whole island needs a major renno ASAP. Heartbreaking to see it crumble so badly
- Tour guide lacking major PR skills.

NPWS you are letting history slip through your proverbial fingers. Terrible experience today.

8  Thank masonhellcat