All reviews masonic lodge hyde park olde world rooms are small st james station david jones no window queen room central location shower head state theatre bed was comfortable queen victoria building town hall station circular quay location is great the heart of the city
Reviewed 18 June 2018

I didn’t even know this place existed and was open to the public. It is the Masonic Club Hotel but you don’t have to be a Mason. For the price we were expecting cheap, basic, simple accommodation but this place is special. It has been done up to its original grandeur with crystal chandeliers and ornate plasterwork. So special and right in the heart of the CBD! Just don’t eat there as the food is terrible. Luckily there was a great cafe just up the road.

Room Tip: If you like room to walk around get a suite as the rooms aren’t big, otherwise the rooms were quiet and comfortable.
Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
DenisR-Castlereagh, Manager at Castlereagh Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2018

Dear MrsLongpig,

Thank you for having taken a few minutes of your time to share your experience in detail.

Our Art Deco Hotel in fact combine an elegant décor with luxurious comfort and it is with great pride and dedication that I and my colleagues strive to make the Castlereagh the unique place it is renowned for. Said that, I was very sorry to learn that you were not completely satisfied with our meal selection. I will bring your comments to the attention of our Restaurant Manager and trust you will find our services much more to your satisfaction upon your return.

I hope the future reserves many more opportunities for you to stay with us as we look forward to welcoming you once again!

Kind Regards

Reviewed 10 June 2018

Very comfortable room and bathroom, located close walk to everything in CBD. The building is beautiful, make sure you take a peek at the dining room - really grand. Breakfast was ok, basic continental on offer but I ordered cooked breakfast from the menu. The staff were brilliant and I really enjoyed staying here.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business

Dear ClaireSlater,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write on TripAdvisor few notes regarding your recent stay at the Castlereagh.

I’m delighted to learn that you’ve enjoyed your time with us and that we made your Sydney holidays special and memorable.
We do look forward to welcoming you back in the nearest future.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 1 June 2018 via mobile

This charming hotel is perfectly located in Central Sydney. It does feel a little tired but the staff are friendly and the rooms are fine for the price. Close to both transport and shopping. Would happily stay there again.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business

Dear prophail,

Thank you for your review.

We are glad to read that you found our very central location convenient.
Also, we are delighted to see that our service contributed to your well-being during your stay with us. The satisfaction of our guests is the most important for us.

We too look forward to your return and to making your next stay at the Castlereagh even better than the last!

Warmest Regards

Reviewed 23 May 2018 via mobile

An historic hotel in need of a refurbishment. My room was small. Not much more than a box. But it was clean, the wifi free and bountiful, the shower was hot and flowing, and they even folded the toilet paper into a triangle. Location is central to shopping and conference locations. It is between St James and Town Hall train stations.
There was a building site next door which my room overlooked so it was noisy, even at night. Double glazing would be a bonus.
I tried to have breakfast in the hotel but after waiting and no one serving me, I left and ate elsewhere. There are several breakfast options nearby. A dearth of dinner options close by forced me to eat in house for dinner, and while the menu was very limited, the food was fresh.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
DenisR-Castlereagh, Manager at Castlereagh Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2018

Dear CanberraAussieMum,

Firstly we would like to thank you for choosing the Castlereagh on your last visit to Sydney and for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor, although we read with very much regret that some aspects did not meet your expectations.

I hope you will choose to return to the Castlereagh in the future, as we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back

Warmest regards
Denis R

Reviewed 14 May 2018 via mobile

Hotel is in great location and Good value. Rooms aren’t huge but clean and comfortable. Very quiet hotel so had a great sleep. Bed is 8/10.
Service a little disappointing - room service phone rang out 3 times, burger was delivered quickly and was pretty good but no ketchup, I asked if he could bring me some and he never came back.

Another thing - NO HOT WATER so had to have a cold shower. When I asked reception in morning she said it had been out since 10pm night before. I don’t know if I’m being unreasonable but I would’ve thought maybe a note under the door from the night staff to notify guests???
or maybe a letter from your Hotel manager the next day apologising for the inconvenience...I know these things happen but an apology goes a long way.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Wilstonly

Dear Wilstonly,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am pleased that you found our location satisfactory and that comfort of the room contributed to a good night sleep.

However, I regret to hear that you experienced some difficulties with a room service and hot a water. We believed that we reset the boilers and had no further issues. This matter was quickly addressed early the next morning by our Maintenance Manager and hot water was returned in 20 minutes. I do apologise for the inconvenience this might have caused you and do hope that we will one day have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Castlereagh so that we may provide the unforgettable stay we are renowned for!

Sincerely