All reviewsmasonic lodgehyde parkolde worldrooms are smallst james stationdavid jonesno windowqueen roomcentral locationshower headstate theatrebed was comfortablequeen victoria buildingtown hall stationcircular quaylocation is greatthe heart of the city
Reviewed 16 December 2014

Not a great stay but not the worst I've had.

The location can't be sneezed at, smack in the heart of downtown, but the rooms are a little tired.
The bed, despite being a little creaky, was comfortable and clean. As was the small bathroom/toilet.

The one window to the room had chickenwire frosted glass and a curtain that opened the wrong way so that it partially covered what natural light was available. Window did not open so no fresh air.

My airconditioning wasn't working well when I first arrived, and after leaving it on all day my room was still like an oven. Thankfully after a quick chat to reception this was resolved and I arrived back t an icebox (so much better for sleeping!)

I'd probably give friends this location as a backup, but send them to a more modern place like the Travelodge. It seems that reasonably priced, modern accommodation in Sydney is really hard to get!

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank me55iah
DenisR-Castlereagh, Manager at Castlereagh Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2014

Dear me55iah,

I am pleased that you found our location satisfactory, but it is with great regrets that I learn that room was not at par with your expectations.
We are Heritage listed property attached to the quality of our facilities and service delivered and do appreciate to be informed when our guests seem not fully satisfied.

I do hope that we will one day have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Castlereagh

Sincere regards
Denis R.

Reviewed 15 December 2014

The staff were very helpful at this hotel. The rooms were not very big but since we spent most of our time out exploring it wasn't a problem. The location was excellent for wandering the city. Breakfast was a good deal and was offered in the beautiful ballroom. Buy your breakfast ticket at the front desk. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank seeing-the-globe
Reviewed 10 December 2014

Only stayed at this location for one night. It was comfortable and clean. Staff were friendly and helpful. Whilst it is a boutique hotel, there are some signs it is a little dated and needs a new coat of paint. Having said this, it was reasonably priced, clean and comfortable. It is well located. Parking is available at the Hilton Hotel for $25 per night, which we thought was quite reasonable. The hotel is in a very convenient location to the shops and not a big walk to the Opera House etc either. Would I stay here again? Yes, but only for a few nights.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jane707
Reviewed 9 December 2014

We stayed on a weekend visit to Sydney for a family wedding. It is a fabulous location, walking distance to Darling Harbour. Room was small with no view but very clean and well appointed and really all we needed to do was sleep in it. Considering what we paid great value and would stay again.

Room Tip: Upgrade if you want a large room
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrea L
Reviewed 8 December 2014

I loved this old hotel, so much character. Staff were friendly and helpful, AND very professional. Had their breakfast buffet, if you purchase voucher from front desk only $15 and really good price for Sydney CBD considering a coffee and muffin is between $6-8 and the lady working the dining room was friendly and helpful. Plus the dining room is LOVELY. Yes the rooms and bathrooms are small but think Europe hotel rooms or cruise ship cabins and you will not be disappointed. Very clean and nice. Be sure to look at the photos around the lobby and hotel. Great Location can walk to most attractions in CBD.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple