3 people are viewing this hotel
USD 171
Free cancellation until 11/03/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
Hotels.com
Expedia.comUSD 170
eDreamsUSD 171
ZenHotels.comUSD 183
1,468 results
All reviews lyric theatre harvest buffet casino complex darling harbour star casino bedroom apartment room service light rail valet parking an upgrade upgraded to a suite city view king bed beautiful room full kitchen standard room upon check
Selected filters
Reviewed 23 December 2020 via mobile

Had stayed here before to be honest the service was average, then Pamela went above and beyond all my expectations and made sure I had everything I needed for my stay. I have traveled around the world and stayed and many places and the service like she provided is second to none. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GOD BLESS

Trip type: Travelled on business
The Star Management, General Manager at The Star Grand Hotel And Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2021

Dear 503jasoni,

Thank you for your feedback. we were sorry to read that you have found your experience of our service not to our standards.

We apologise for this and hope we can make it up to you. Please feel free to contact us directly via mail at starassistantmanagers@star.com.au. We would be more than happy to discuss your future stay.

Thank you for mentioning Pamela. She has been a recent addiction to our team and we are very happy to read that she has gone above and beyond in making your stay memorable. We will surly pass on the message.

Thank you again and we are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 13 December 2020

I booked the 3 Bedroom Harbour View Suite (sleeps 6 guests) ($1952 for 1 night) in hopes to treat myself and my closest companions to a little bit of luxury for my 21st birthday celebration. Now I will preface, this was by NO means a party as I was and am fully aware of the no party policy. This was simply a small tame gathering with no more than 15 people in the 110m2 (one of the main reasons I splurged for the big spacious option) space. Perfectly compliant with social distancing regulations and the verbal confirmation of the receptionist who said "As long as there's no more than 20 people that is okay" when I asked BEFORE inviting people around.

At 8pm I received a visit from security who claimed there was a noise complaint and asked how many people I had inside to which I truthfully and happily answered 10 and he immediately snapped at me and said the limit was 4 to which I pointed out the room capacity was 6 so that couldn't be the case and I had a few people visiting that weren't staying the night but wouldn't be too late to which he apologised for and then just asked we quieten down. Despite me personally thinking we were reasonable with the volume of just conversation and a small portable speaker with music on low (especially so early on a Saturday night), I did not want any trouble and did exactly that.

As I was leaving the room I encountered a few of our neighbours and politely asked if they were comfortable with the current noise levels and was met with responses of not even noticing any commotion, which I too, could not detect from outside the room.

Around midnight I got another knock on the door and I opened it to the Duty Manager and another security staff member. She announced to the entire room that after 11pm it is a rule that only the 6 people sleeping could stay and everybody else was to leave and had 5 minutes to do so before they would return and conduct a head count. This was an incredibly uncomfortable situation for me as I had to give rushed goodbyes to dear friends of mine, many of which did not have any notice to organise safe methods of transport home within that time frame. The two ladies opened the door and continued to stand in the doorway and watch me as I awkwardly escorted people out one by one. They ordered us to sit down and then proceeded to walk through our entire suite and count people and at this point in time (as aforementioned, only 5 minutes had passed and people were calling taxis/checking public transport times etc.) counted 8. The duty manager then stated 8 people was okay. Not only did this conjure the thought that such rule evidently wasn't one to begin with (and since searching through the website information I have yet to encounter such rule in writing) but insinuated that she was doing ME - the GUEST - a FAVOR after absolutely humiliating me and treating my friends and I like children on a school camp for a reason that I still have absolutely no idea what for. I was left embarrassed, disgusted and my entire evening had been spoiled.

The family (with a baby) staying in the neighbouring room and several security staff on shift throughout the night patrolling the levels had all communicated to me upon me asking that not once had they considered myself and my guests as a disturbance to the venue. So I wonder who really had a problem with us?

Might I add, in passing through the hotel I saw numerous large groups of rowdy adults all with large quantities of alcohol screaming in the hallways. There were most definitely legitimate parties that were going on at the same time and did not face any consequences seemingly. Were we targeted simply for being younger?

The inconsistency of what was and wasn't supposedly allowed by all staff members made me question the professionalism of the establishment. Had I known of any of these rules I would not have decided to stay here.

Thank you for the worst birthday imaginable. I love to reflect on my 21st as the night I spent over $2000 only to be treated like scum.

1  Thank skye1593

Dear Sky1593,

Thank you for your feedback. We apologise for the way you feel about your experience of the Star Grand Hotel & Residences.

We have investigated the mater and we wish to discuss with you in more details. We invite you to contact us via email at starassistantmanagers@star.com.au.

We are looking forward to hear from you soon.

Thank you.

Reviewed 1 December 2020 via mobile

I don’t say this lightly, and I don’t think I’ve ever given 1 star before, but my recent stay at the Star Grand Residences was truly awful. There was 1 staff member to check in hundreds of guests. They were not friendly nor efficient. We arrived early and were asked to wait for a text message for our room to be available. Fair enough. Check in is 3pm.. when that time came and no text we went down to get our keys and were told ‘wait for your text’... ummm it’s 3pm? By 3.30pm we still didn’t have anything. So we asked one of the bell boys who kindly took us up stairs and let us in with the master key. So now we are in our room, with no key and our bags downstairs... we ring reception several times and are hung up on. Finally we get through and they say they will bring them up. Our bags arrived at 4.30pm (with the food we had bought for the afternoon now ruined).

The staff genuinely didn’t care about any of this. On top of that the room was very average for $1.2K a night and wasn’t very clean. There is also no additional benefit to staying in the Star for being able to get into the casino. When we went downstairs to wander around we found a line about 1 hour long. When we asked if staying provided any ability to access the casino we were told to join the back of the queue.

Finally for the cherry on top the breakfast the next day which was included had a line over 30 minutes long to access. We cut our losses at this point and just left.

This is meant to be a 5 star hotel and it was truly awful. I’d be embarrassed to work there if I’m honest. We were going to make this an annual trip but there is a 0% chance of me ever returning and I’ll certainly be sharing my thoughts with all my Sydney based friends.

I can’t wait for the crown to open now and force the Star to reconsider how they treat customers and members.

I wish you could give a 0...

Trip type: Travelled with friends
The Star Management, General Manager at The Star Grand Hotel And Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2020

Dear 929garthw,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with thoughtful feedback, and we are sorry to read about your disappointing stay.

We understand you are not looking to stay again currently, but would love the opportunity to welcome you back and make your experience at The Star Grand Hotel & Residences as memorable as possible.

Please feel free to contact us via email at StarAssistantManagers@star.com.au

We will be happy to personally look after you.

Reviewed 30 November 2020

I was disappointed at the beginning about not being able to enter the casino and also for taking me above 30 minutes to check in at the reception near the convenience store however the staff were proactive and apologetic for the delays. They gave us late checkout on the second day and provide us with a complimentary extra bed for my friend. The staff also gave us a full insight on where the pool, breakfast and other places are located. It’s the casino and it’s a very busy place and good to see life is back to normal. I will come back whenever I can. Love this place. Thanks guys xx

Date of stay: November 2020
Trip type: Travelled solo

Dear jeraldaj,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us such wonderful feedback about your recent stay!

We are so pleased that our staff played such an important role in making your stay pleasant, and will be sure to pass on your compliments to the entire team.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon to The Star Grand Hotel & Residences!

Reviewed 30 November 2020

We were comp upgraded by a lovely gentleman called Mario. He was so helpful on check in and escorted us to the room. The staff were amazing and the porters helped us out to bring our luggage up to the room. There was a long waiting time however this was understandable by having everyone checking in at the same time. Pool was good and breakfast was under average however the staff were great. Long queue on departure I do recommend to have an express checkout point in the future as I didn’t see one. We will be back for sure. Thanks guys

Date of stay: November 2020

Dear B6457CQanthonyn,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such lovely feedback about your recent stay!

We appreciate your understanding about the long lines, and are sorry about your breakfast and pool experiences. However, we are delighted to see that our fabulous staff made up for this! We will be sure to pass on your kind words to the entire team - especially Mario!

We have also added a new express check out box, so please look out for it on your future visits. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon to The Star Grand Hotel & Residences!