“Mutton dressed up as lamb”

Park Regis City Centre
Ranked #124 of 177 Hotels in Sydney
Lane Cove, Australia
“Mutton dressed up as lamb”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

After a long day in the office and an early start the next day I thought I would stay in the city so I could grab an extra hour of sleep. That extra hour never eventuated due to the lack of double glazing...the sirens and yelling were constant, however I was on a low floor. The service was average, the staff need to undertake further training in customer service. I didnt have my frequent flyer card but had the number and the staff member said, "sorry new rule, no card, no points. A moderate makeover with an 80cm LCD TV and some cheap artwork helped bring the room closer to modern day expectations but for close to $200 I would have expected better. The bathroom is tiny which was not a great concern as I was alone, The aircon switch was out of whack meaning the highest speeed was actually "off" and there were no glasses in the cupboard. Handy location however will be looking to others next time.

Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank rockriva

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Hervey Bay, Australia
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I stayed at the Park Regis City Centre for 4 nights, the hotel is very convenient to the shopping district and train station, but the rooms are just terrible, Upon walking in and speaking with guest services they were not very friendly, I believe one of the night time staff members was average but thats about it. The rooms were very small and very outdated, there was mould on the bathroom floor and the beds were extremely uncomfortable, the air conditioning had minimal settings so basically it was either on full or off!! not good if you just want light cooling in your room, our key card randomly stopped working on our last night and we had to go down to reception to fix, might I add there was no apology just a swipe and a few taps of the keyboard to get it going. Internet is expensive for wireless connection and the internet in the lobby is $2.50 for 15 minutes, youll even get an unreliable computer that freezes how awesome right?? The house keeping staff barely speak a word of English and use the guest elevators for their laundry service tubs so if your in their way you better move. You need to slam the doors when going out to get them to actually shut, this made me a little concerned as I thought i may wake other guests. There is a roof top pool but it is absolutely pointless along with the area on the roof which you can go out for a smoke but after 10:30 it will be sealed and youll have to go downstairs, the elevators are by far the slowest for a 45 floor hotel, the wait was absolutely incredible (MORE THAN 5 MINUTES) if it sais is going up dont buy it as more than likely your actually going down, I am very dissatisfied with this hotel and would not stay here EVER again!!!!!

Room Tip: Get a high floor is you can
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Barry W

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 6 March 2012

The Park Regis is a very comfortable hotel right in the centre of Sydney's CBD. You really couldn't be more conveniently located, as it is right in the middle of the city's business and shopping precinct, barely a minute's walk from either Town Hall Station or Museum Station for the airport, and just as close to the free CBD Shuttle bus.

The hotel makes up the lower floors of an apartment block, and the rooftop pool area is shared.

Rooms are on the small side, but very comfortable. I had an excellent bed, but the pillows were useless. Road noise is bad, but forgivable given the location.

There are warnings about low water pressure, but I didn't have an issue with this, as the pressure seemed reasonable; it was a nightmare to mix, though. Whichever tap you turn on first dominates and it is almost impossible to get the temperature right. If you like a very hot shower you'll be fine. For those of us with nerve endings in our skin, though, it's pretty uncomfortable. The rose is too low also, so at least I got some exercise squatting to get my hair wet!

The television in my room wasn't properly set up. It seemed to have digital signal, but was lacking most of the free to air channels. It was also set to warp a square picture to widescreen, and I couldn't seem to find a setting to rectify this.

Nonetheless, I had a very comfortable stay in this very basic hotel. It really is perfect for business travellers.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Stayed here at the end of last year as the hotels I usually stay in we're booked out due to a number of events and conferences in Sydney that weekend. We actually chose the place because the manager responded to feedback on here and we thought that showed respect for patrons and figured we had so much crammed into this one weekend that we would literally only shower and sleep there, so it couldn't be that bad. Man were we wrong!

Room was liveable, pretty shabby, but not unhygienic, but probably on par for the usual room rates. I believe looking at the rates now, compared to what we paid, that our rates were jacked up due to the demand for that weekend. The hot water takes ages to heat (probably 20 seconds) and the channel selection on the tv was terrible - all I wanted to see was some Australian News coverage and all I could get was BBC UK! Couldn't even get Sunrise / Today and co, let alone fox news!

Location was ok for what we wanted, but it depends where you're planning to go.

Worst part was definitely the housekeeping and management. The hallway was filled with the smell of marijuana, and the staff on the desk never appeared interested when it was raised. Rooms weren't made up until late afternoon, which was irritating as the towels are so thin they are saturated after one use, so you throw them on the floor to get changed, come back wanted to shower before dinner and still don't have fresh towels!

Worst of all, as I flew straight from work I had my iPad with me. As it was WiFi only it stayed in the room the whole time. We arrived at the hotel at around midnight Friday night and I put it on charge on the desk in the room. Got up early Saturday morning and we were out all day, stopping in for a few 30min - 1 hour blocks and not getting back until probably 1am, the same for the next few days and nights as well. When packing to leave we noticed the iPad was gone, we searched everywhere, nowhere to be found, so we reported it to the front desk and I have never been poorly treated by hotel staff in my life. There was a young man and a woman at the counter and I spoke with the man, advised what had happened and the woman, who was midway through serving another customer started shaking her head and rolling her eyes as I spoke. I asked her if she was alright and she began interrogating us about what we had said asking us rapid fire questions until she became so enraged by our consistent answers that she just barked at us about us not yet reporting it to the police. I explained to the woman that we felt it best, since it was stolen from our locked room and there had been no one in our room but us and their staff, we felt it best to talk to them first, and of course, I wouldn't have had the first clue about the Police station closest to us. I asked them to review their records to see who had been in the room she just said 'yeah we'll get right on that' and laughed. Luckily, the man agreed he would 'look into' it and promised to be there at 4pm to discuss.

Upon returning at 4, of course he was no where to be found, and the receptionist tells me he was only rostered until 2! Lucky me, angry woman from the morning was there and I asked her to organise for the manager to call me and explained that we had been to the police and reported it, she started asking for the name of the officer I'd reported it to and I explained that the officers in the station put me on the phone to the reports line, she laughed at me. Next she asked where my 'police card' was and when I said I wasn't sure what she meant she just rolled her eyes. The look of shock as I read the police report number to her out of my phone was priceless, however.

Anyway, no call from the manager, so I called them, he said he'd investigate and call back and never did, so I called again and he said he'd asked the staff who said they didn't take it... Gee because they'd admit that, as long as you ask nicely! He then tells me he isn't actually the Manager, he just manages the desk and that the real manager would have to review it to decide if they will accept any liability, wanted any further evidence, ask further questions etc. so I ask when will I hear from him? No... He won't call you, you have to write him a letter! FFS! So I have written him a letter 6 weeks ago, I included a signed statement from myself and my partner about our versions, a statement from the friend who picked us up from the airport who saw me using the iPad to get the address for the hotel, i provided a copy of the original purchase information, a photocopy of the box with the serial number on it and confirmation that I had wiped and locked the iPad. No response, not even an acknowledgement,

By the time I'd finally got everything together to send down I'd already replaced the iPad anyway, but it was more the principle, that I hadn't been considered. There are signs in the room saying that if there is a noise complaint they will bill the offender the amount equal to the compensation they pay the complainer (or something to that effect) the fact they would compensate a person for making a noise complaint, but not even acknowledge my complaint is ridiculous. I understand that there are dodgy people out there who probably try to rip them off, but if that was the case, why would I supply proof I owned it, statements from people who saw me with it, and if I still had it, why would I block and lock it!

If you aren't going to provide safes, don't hire thieves. If you hire them anyway, at least return people's phone calls or letters. That simple really.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ShaxJo
SWHG_Operations, General Manager at Park Regis City Centre, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear ShaxJo,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Park Regis City Centre and for your feedback dated 1st March 2012. I'd like to assure you that we greatly value your feedback and I apologize if you feel that you have not had your complaint responded to.

I have personally investigated the issues raised in your correspondence and would like to address the following issues:

1. Room rates do vary and these are based upon occupancy levels, event periods and high and low seasons for travel.

2. We have free to air channels in all the rooms and 12 cable channels.

3. The Hotel is a non smoking hotel, however a room did have a previous guest who smoked. This was identified and the guest was fined and removed from the premises. Unfortunately efforts to remove the odour from the corridor with sprays and an ozone machine was difficult and due to this it took some time to dismiss the odour from the area.

4. The Housekeeping department will clean all checkout rooms first and then will commence servicing non departing rooms between 2pm and 5pm. This is common practice and it is also stated in the compendiums which are placed in all rooms. If the staff had been informed that the room needed to be serviced earlier it could have been organized.

5. Within the room there is only 1 work desk. The Ipad that you state was charging would be in plain vision when entering and exiting the room. This issue was raised to my attention when you reported it and the staff that serviced your room were questioned. The staff that serviced your room have been working here for many years and there was no evidence of any sort to verify your accusation. The staff member on the front desk was spoken to regarding customer service and no longer works for this company.

6. I am waiting for a letter from you containing statements or purchase information. I cannot acknowledge a letter if I have not recieved it. I am aware that you have had phone conversations with the Front Office Manager and he advised you to write a letter.

7.We do provide safes and these are in the reception area. Advising the staff that a safe was required could have been organized easily.

Once again I apologize if you feel that we have not responded to you but as stated I have not recieved correspondence.

As the General Manager of the property, I am grateful for your feedback.

Kind regards

Michael Vera Lobos
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Reviewed 29 February 2012

The hotel is a bad choice if you are on business travel as I was. It is overpriced, the rooms are incredibly small, also the hallways are extremely small and there were unpleasant smells when I went up to my room. The hotel pool on the roof is kind of nice but pretty useless, I don't think anybody actually uses it. When I went up there to go for a swim in the next morning after my arrival, there were lots of huge dead bugs and insects swimming in the pool, also some food and a newspaper, so obviously nobody takes care of the pool or cleans it (at least this was my experience). I felt disgusted and didn't go into the water. Also, "pool" is a bit overdone, it is more like a larger bathtub, you cannot really swim, because, after one stroke you've crossed the whole "pool" already. This "pool" is probably only installed there to earn more hotel stars or for promotion reasons, but it is actually pretty useless and a bit disgusting.
The hotel is not nicely decorated in the interior, the floor carpet looks very cheap, the rooms are extremely basic and VERY small, almost like in a backpackers hostel. There was lots of dust and dirt in the room, I didn't even have space to store away my luggage, and in the bathroom there where fungi on the tiles - DISGUSTING! This hotel is like a better backpacker's hostel but definitely does not have the quality of a a good, decent hotel. I was very disappointed and found the hotel WAY OVERPRICED, considering the quality of the room I had (7th floor with no view at all but to the wall of the neighboring building). Maybe top level rooms are nicer, but that's not the point here, because EVERY room has to meet minimal standards in a hotel when they charge that much for it.
The reason why I finally only give one point (=not acceptable) for this disappointing joint is the extremely unfriendliness of staff when I arrived after a 22 hour flight from Europe at around midnight. The clerk at the front was just an idiot, bossing me around and acting in an aggressive manner when I was asking for a better (and, of course, much more expensive and also overpriced) room. I couldn't get another room because, allegedly, the were booked out. Although I had credit card reservation, he said, they thought I would not arrive and that they would have given away my room to the next customer, so I should consider myself lucky to still have a room. WHAT AN IMPUDENCE !!!!! - such an idiot. I've been traveling all around the world, but such a cretin I've never had to greet me at a hotel front desk!! I acknowledge that the clerks on the next days were more friendly and helpful, so you could say, I had bad luck with that person, but I think, such a socially incompetent person should NEVER be in charge at the front desk to begin with. Because of that experience and the overall very bad, disappointing impression this hotel made on me, I can only give one point.

The ONLY advantage of this hotel is its convenient location near to downtown, in the middle of business district, but that's all and that is not worth the overpriced rates there. In particular, when I'm on business travel, it is important for me to have a good experience at my hotel, which wasn't the case here at all.
I recommend spending even more money for one of the other probably similar overpriced hotels in that area but having a probably much nicer experience and getting more value for your money.
All in all I cannot at all recommend this hotel. It's not worth your money.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear Einstein009,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Park Regis City Centre and your feed back dated 29th February 2012. I was surprised to read your feedback and wanted the opportunity to address the issues raised in your review.

The Swimming Pool belongs to the building. All cleaning and servicing is conducted by Body Corporate services. The pool does not belong to the hotel but the building provides access for our guests to utilize the swimming and laundry facilities. I have forwarded your observations to the building Manager.

The Hotel has a painting maintenance program and this is ongoing. Rooms facing Park Street do not have views and considering we are in the heart of the CBD it can be expected that there would be a percentage of rooms which would not have a view.

During Event Periods and from mid week through to the weekend the Hotel is usually booked out. Arriving at Midnight on a night when the Hotel is fully booked makes it impossible to move a guest to another room. Rates will vary depending on occupancy and events and this is common practice throughout hotels. I am unsure what conversation occurred with the staff member on shift but with minimal details on this review it is difficult to identify who was on shift. All staff have been spoken to regarding customer service.

Thank you once again for your feedback I am confident that we will rectify the issues that you have raised and in the future offer yourself and all our guests the standards they expect.

I appreciate you taking time to give us your feedback.

Kind regards,