“Looks ok on the surface but underneath... Yuck”
Review of Napoleon on Kent

Napoleon on Kent
Ranked #119 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“Looks ok on the surface but underneath... Yuck”
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Where to begin... Stayed here for a week for a business trip. I did not choose to stay here, it was booked by my manager. I had heard very mixed reviews from my colleagues about this place, mostly leaning towards the negative side. My experience was quite appaling here for a number of reasons, however, I will start with some positives.

It does have a good location, close to the 'business' area of Sydney's CBD and is clean-ish- by that I mean the sheets are clean, there is no cob webs etc and their is a fair bit of space. The heater/air con works well too.

However... scratch the surface and you will soon find out it's disgusting. Upon using the kitchen facilities to make my dinner I soon found out that the dishes were not cleaned properly, their were bits of dried food stuck to the cuttlery, the plates had a film of grease covering them and the plastics were all stained and dinted. The bench was also covered in a thin film of grease.The state of the microwave was appalling, food splattered all over and stunk of garlic. There goes my idea of cooking myself dinner. I had to use boiling water to scrub a spoon and a cup and a bowl but still didn't feel comfortable using it. The jug they provide for you to put some cold water in the fridge was also moldy.

The bathroom was clean, suprisingly however their is a problem with the shower... No matter how lightly you turn the water on, it still manages to spill outside the shower and onto the bathroom floor. I know this because I almost fell in the massive puddle it created and had to be extra careful, an elderly person may not be so lucky thou.

The TV is old... They really need to update it. The room in general is in desperate need of a refurb and an upgrade. The bed is hard. It is dark and dingy and I was lucky enough to be a level above ground (can't even begin to imagine what it is like in the appartments underground) And it is loud... However, that is ok because it is Sydney's CBD but you need to be aware Napoleon is located under a freeway.

Now here is the fun part- Friday morning, the morning of our annual conference... No hot water... We go to the front desk and ask what is happening... The girl shakes her head and shrugs her shoulders... We tell her nicely that she needs to call someone and find out what is happeneing... She huffs and puffs and says she will and it should be fixed within the hour. We come back in an hour and tell her it is not fixed. She huffs and puffs again and says she will call again... I have a conference I need to attend so grin and bare a freezing cold shower, which in the middle of Winter is a horrible, horrible experience. Go back to reception and ask her very bluntly what is going on... Again, the brush off. I return again at lunchtime, still no hot water so I tell the rude recpetionist I want to speak to her manager, she shrugs her shoulders and says that their is no manager... I am about to seriously loose my cool, finally she sees I am unhappy and gives me a business card and tells me to email this person, she can't help me... Realise their is no point with this girl, she doesn't give a rats... I come back at 7pm and she smiles sweetly and says 'you now have hot water'...

This place is an over priced, under serviced, run down dive.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank Bbbelz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Great self-contained apartment a few minutes walk from all the sights in Sydney. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Chris1985UK
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Althought the location is good the room I had was tired, and in need of redocorating. When I arrived the lift wasn't working so I had to carry one of my cases up the stairs. Not good after a 23 hour flight.
The cleaning was substandard. Previous guests hair all over the carpet, walls dirty, bath stained and smelt of old food.
I specifically requested an apartment so i could cook for myself. However there was no cooker and slightly defeated the object of booking an apartment.
The reception were as helpful as could be expected.
I was due to stay there for 8 weeks and I informed my company I would not be staying there any longer then the first week.
In all if you need a few nights stay with a good location then go for it. Any longer I would suggest moving out of the CBD and getting a train.
I moved to North Sydney and got the train in to Wynard, it only takes 7 minutes.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Melbourne
Reviewed 26 November 2011

On my last trip to Sydney I stayed at the Travelodge Wynard and was very disappointed and vowed to never stay there again. Problem was I was travelling on business and the travel allowance provided by my employer did cover many hotels in the area.

Finally I found the Napoleon on Kent and decided that it had to be better than the Travelodge and I am so glad I stayed.

Location was very convenient - close to the training venue I had to go to.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. When I checked in I found there was a flickering room in my studio room. The lady on reception immediately arranged another room, I was even upgraded to a 1 bedroom apartment.

When I reported the tv reception wasn't clear, the aerial was replaced in no time.

Sure it may not be 5 star, but it is clean (well clean compared to most hotels) and very affordable. Better still the beds were comfortable, shower was hot and had great water pressure.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank wackijac
Mooloolaba, Australia
Reviewed 19 November 2011

After reading the reviews i was worried to stay here . BUT this hotel was just great , everything is clean and tidy . The rooms are a good size and quiet . The front staff where plesant not rude at all. My young daughters and I had a lovely stay here in this hotel and the location was very central and right next to the train station ... We would defs stay again ...

Room Tip: This is a great clean hotel and in good location and one of the cheapest for the area ..