“Great location poor standards!!”

Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Darling Harbour
Ranked #22 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Kerry
“Great location poor standards!!”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

The Medina Harbourside is very disappointing. The location is excellent, the room is modern but that was all the good points. I have been staying here on a business trip for the past 3 weeks and am currently still here for another couple of days. The only reason I haven't left is because work is paying for it and it is the closest location to my meetings. Firstly the card/key for the building is terrible- it doesn't work for the entrance to the car park so I have to ring reception every day to open the carpark and they are not one bit pleased. The card works about one in every ten times in the lift so I have been to several different floors before I can get to my own. Now I have complained about the key and was told that it actually be the machine not the card- not exactly a great help!! The man for mini bar is very nice but the cleaner is extremely rude. He has burst into my room several times when I was inside without knocking and the other times he knocks and then opens the door within 2-3 seconds of knocking before I can react. No apology or even simple hello ever offered despite me saying hello how are you-i am just getting ignored. The worst thing about the hotel is the cleanliness- every day there are issues. There is no consistency each day the previous day is slightly worse or better than the day before. I am supposed to get little shower gel and shampoo every day but until yesterday it has been a week since I have got it. The floor in the room isn't getting vacuumed properly its filthy. Several days the cleaner hasn't taken the rubbish out of the apartment which leaves a smell. The cutlery,dishes etc are filthy- they are not being cleaned properly- I have taken pictures with bowls with noodles and sauce on them just put into the cupboard. Today I went to get a bowl out of the cupboard and a load of water poured down on top of me-seriously!! I have stayed in serviced apartments all over the world and this is the most dissatisfied I have ever been after a stay!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank petermkerry
MGHS, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Darling Harbour, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear Petermkerry,

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide your feedback. I was pleased to read that you are enjoying the location of the hotel and find that the room is modern.

I am sorry to read that you are having trouble with the card readers, they should all be working and we will have maintenance address this today.

Please accept my sincere apology that your room cleaning is not up to the standard we strive to achieve. Any feedback is of the highest value to us, in your comment you have mentioned that you are still in house, I would really appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay in more detail, so if you do have time, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at reception.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Turkish first
Shearwater, Australia
Reviewed 6 April 2012

The location at Darling Harbour is great but that is what you are primarily paying for as the rooms are average as is the service. We stayed 5 nights in a premier grand studio. The first morning we had housekeeping staff moving trolleys and talking loudly outside our room at 7.00am. At 9.00am we had housekeeping trying to get in to service the room! The balcony area was covered in dirt and grime. The heavy glass sliding doors to close off the bedroom from the living area were almost unmovable and after 3 reports to reception a maintenance man came on the third day. He said that one of the doors was "dangerous" and could fall if moved because of missing parts in the ceiling runner. The uneven floor level betweeen the passage and bathroom meant a "step up"to avoid tripping and falling. Plenty of dirt and dust clearly visible on either side of the washing machine and the glass topped tables all had permanent looking cup and glass bottom stains on them. We realized after leaving that we had been hit with a credit card surchage. No warning and no mention by the receptionist. To top it off we asked reception if they had contact with an airport shuttle bus company. Yes, they do the bookings. He was at least 15 minutes earlier than the agreed time and not happy we were not standing out the front. The small 8 seater was at least 20 years old, had no seat belts, and looked a bomb. The driver drove like an absolute maniac out to the airport frightening everyone onboard including a couple with a baby. Medina need to use another shuttle service urgently. Medina charge a premium tariff and claim to be of a high hotel standard. They need to lift their act dramatically, at least at these premises. Cannot recommend this establishment.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KenG157
Dear Ken G,

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide your feedback. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel.

Please accept my sincere apology that your room was not up to the standard that we strive to achieve, please be assured that I have addressed your comments with our housekeeping and maintenance team.

Thank you also for passing on your feedback about your experience with the shuttle bus, I am sorry that this occurred. I have forwarded you feedback onto the manager of the shuttle bus company and I am awaiting his response.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Medina Grand Harbourside in the future, where we will endeavor to ensure that your next visit is a positive experience.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback, any feedback is of the highest value to us, so if you would like to discuss any part of your stay in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Gold Coast, Qld
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment, a one bedroom with a studio room adjoining. We had booked a rollaway bed for my son to sleep on as his last night as a single man, however he did not use it so it remained in our lounge room the next morning. We luckily had our bedroom door closed as we heard a noise and when got up to see what was going on the rollaway had been removed. So much for privacy. Also during the morning whilst we were walking around our room one of the housekeeping staff came in calling out "mini Bar", I told him we had not used anything and he was going to knock on the door of the adjoining room where my other son was sleeping, I told him not to knock but he just called out "mini bar" until I told him to go away. Obviously did not speak very good English.
All in all we were happy with our room, the bed was comfortable, good blockout curtains.
The Lime cafe adjoining was good for breakfast and the location close to Darling Harbour is great.
On the day we checked out however we took our luggage to reception and waited for someone to attach labels and put it in the lockup room where it stayed until we left for the airport in the afternoon. Just before we left we realised that my son's suit bag was missing and asked the receptionist if it was behind the reception or still in the lockup room, but no one seemed to know where it was. We had to leave for the airport but as my other son was still at the hotel for another night I asked him to follow it up. He again asked the reception if they knew where the suit was and they did not know, but the next time he asked it miraculously turned up behind the reception desk. Whilst we were happy to have the suit returned, it will now means that it will have to be posted back to us from Sydney at a cost we did not need to incur.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank moonpup
MGHS, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Darling Harbour, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Moonpup,

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide your feedback. I was pleased to read that you were happy with the room and found the bed to be comfortable. I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel.

I am sorry that there were a number of things go wrong on your last day with us. Please be assured that I have addressed your feedback with the teams involved.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Medina Grand Harbourside in the future, where we will endeavor to ensure that your next visit is a positive experience from start to finish.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Stayed there on two occasions,firstly for 4 nights in suite and very pleasant indeed.On second occasion we were booked for two nights and got caught by bad weather in Queensland.I phoned the hotel to advise that we might not arrive that night and subsequently rang again confirming that we were stranded and that room could be let go for that night.The first response on both occasions from the hotel was that we would have to pay for room,I had no problem with that and said so each time.Subsequenly I got a call from Booking.com asking why I hadn't taken up the reservation as they had the manager on the phone asking them.I also had to tell Booking .com that I would pay for the room.When we got to Sydney next afternoon and checked in we were given the noisiest and most decrepit studio room (as per original booking ) despite having paid two nights for it.The receptionist and duty manager confirmed that they had rang querying our "noshow" and that it was actually Booking.com that was charging for the room despite the very strong probability that the room had been relet for our missing night as they told me that they had full occupancy all week.It would have taken very little action on the hotel's part to have acknowledged our efforts to keep them informed of our whereabouts.I repeat that I had no difficulty in paying for the unused night as Jetstar had very kindly ( and full credit to them as the near cyclonic weather conditions certainly gave them a ready made opt out had they wished to use it ) put us up on Daydream Island overnight when we were weatherbound on Hamilton Island so we were not out of pocket financially at any rate. It's ironic that the posted reviews on both companies ended up being reversed.I had high expectations of the Medina and low to medium of Jetstar but they ended up being totally professional and the Medina as a tightfisted and customer cold operation.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Autumnsunshine
MGHS, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Darling Harbour, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear Bowsie,

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide your feedback. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the one bedroom apartment during your first stay with us.

In regards to your second stay, thank you for keeping us informed in regards to your flights. I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy the standard studio as much as the one bedroom apartment you had previously stayed in.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights. We arrived early & were greeted warmly by the staff who offered us baggage storage straight away. Our Studio king room was reasonably clean & comfortable although a bit cramped. We asked to be moved from our first room as the room faced Shelley st and was too noisy for us. The safe did not work & there was a leak in the bathroom vanity which the staff attended to promptly. The room we moved to the next day was quiet and we were able to sleep. The attention to detail of cleanliness could be improved for example the corners of the room needed cleaning as did the grout and soap scum around the shower. We were given a car park when we turned up with a car ( you cannot book a spot) and staff were very helpful in organising this for us. The cost was $32 a day. We were told that they only have 20 car parks allocated for this hotel otherwise, they could direct us to another car park 5 min away which was slightly dearer. Overall, we had a pleasant stay and a comfy bed, helpful staff in an excellent location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Darling Harbour. If you like space don't book a studio king room.