“Met My Expectations for a Five-Star Hotel”

InterContinental Sydney
Ranked #26 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I stayed for one night at the Intercontinental Sydney and have nothing but praise for the location, the staff, the service and my room. Circular Quay, the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Sydney Opera House and The Rocks are just a few minutes by foot away, and the lovely Botanical Gardens are right across the street. It took me about 5 minutes to walk to the hotel from the Circular Quay rail stop after taking the train from the airport.

Check-in was easy and efficient, and my room was ready when I arrived at 10:30 a.m. The official check-in time is 3 p.m. so I truly appreciated the opportunity to leave my bags in my room instead of storage and to freshen up before looking around the city. Each staff member who I came into contact with from check-in to check-out was cordial and helpful. The concierge
staff was outstanding -- absolutely outstanding. They listened to me carefully and responded to my needs as an individual, rather than making "one size fits all" recommendations. Anytime I passed by a staff member, he/she greeted me and flashed a pleasant smile. I felt really welcome here.

My comfortable, quiet, immaculate 17th-floor room looked out on the city and botanical gardens. It had lots of space and held a king bed, window seats that could accommodate four people, a couch, a large desk with desk chair and side/end tables. The furnishings were in excellent condition. A push of a button sent night blinds over the huge window to darken the room and give privacy in the evening. Bathrobes, slippers, an ironing board and an iron, a safe, and a mini bar were a few of the amenities. The good-sized bathroom offered a tub with shower and fluffy towels. The neutral interior colors soothed and the carpeting appeared to be new. I especially appreciated the excellent lighting. And, yes there was a big flat-screen TV.

The 31st floor had a pool with a breathtaking view of the city and harbor as well as a fitness center, operated by a private concern but offered free to hotel guests.

Best of all, it was a fabulous value for me because I got a good deal on the room through Hotwire.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review.

I am pleased we were able to accommodate your early check in, and it is great to know you were impressed with every aspect of your stay.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming your return to InterContinental Sydney.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Sydney

Reviewed 31 May 2012

While nothing is 5+ stars outstanding about the Intercontinental, you won't be disappointed in this as a choice for home base in Sydney. Located less than 5 minutes from Circular Quay the ferries and Opera House and across the street from the beautiful botanical gardens. Rooms are of a decent size although a bit tired. The bed was very comfortable and we had a great night's sleep. Breakfast is a very large buffet that will certainly satisfy all tastes and appetities, but at a steep price. We found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. Would stayhere again if the price was right.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

I appreicate your review, thank you and it is always great to know that our guests have departed after having an enjoyable stay.

We do look forward to welcoming your return to Intercontinental Sydney.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 30 May 2012

Very impressed. Well situated with clean and tidy room. Close to CBD, Opera House and parks. Gym is fantastic and well equippt on level 31

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your review, short and straight to the point. Appreciated.

Hopefully you will return to us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

I have stayed in Sydney many times before but this was the first time I have tried the InterContinental.
This was a bit of a strange stay as I was travelling around Australia but kept coming back to Sydney so I checked in 3 times.
First impressions were good with helpful staff on arrival (each time) and helpful check-in. However, even with one night's break I was unable to keep the same room. But the front of house staff kept the bags without problem.
Breakfasts are excellent but queues can get long at peak periods.
Lower rooms can get noisy so see if you can stay high. I had a low, middle and high in my 3 stays.
The central cafe/restaurant is pricey so I would advise walking a few hundred metres to the CBD.
Location is good but anyone with any mobility issues should be aware that it is up a hill which, in places, can get steep.

Room Tip: Go higher for less noise
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank KentPaul

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased you have enjoyed your all stays with us. I am sorry we were unable to leave your luggage in the same room inbetween your comings and goings. More than likely the room may have been booked for another guest whilst you were away. We do not mind at all storing luggage for guests if they require this service.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming your return.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

Check in was smooth, they accomodated an early check in, however did not resolve a room change issue with our booking. This was resolved within 15 minutes to our satisfaction. Aside this minor issue everything else was pure class. The many staff were very courteous and always available and ready to meet your request or offer assistance. They did a fantastic job without expecting a tip. We generally tip for good service even though this is not compulsory in Australia. Our room was lovely and spacious. One night we went out for dinner and when we returned I was astonished to find our bed had been make, ice sitting in a cooler waiting for us and few other really lovely goodies. Breakfast was lovely and relaxing. We had a seafood buffet dinner one night and that was lovely and again very relaxing and done with class. You did not have left over plates on your table for more than a minute..........fantastic.
Everything was fabulous. After all I had high expectations since President George Bush, Opera and Britney Spears stayed there and it didn‘t let down.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business