“Not satisfied”

Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection
Ranked #53 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 14 October 2017

This place has a charming decor but the decor is not at all useful for those who want some basic things from their hotels.

First, there is no elevator. That's tolerable if your room is on the first floor, but not when it's on the third floor. I'm not keen on being forced to climb up and down 2 flights of stairs multiple times a day. It would be very different if it were my choice, but without an elevator, it's not a choice.

The girl at the front desk with the French accent is not helpful. I was here for two consecutive nights, and because I had a different reservation for each night, my room key had to be re-programmed come the second day. Well, the girl with the French accent who checked me in said nothing about that. On the second day, I climbed up the stairs to my room and found out my room key wasn't working. I climbed back down, went to the front desk, and asked them what the problem was. The girl with the French accent was like, of course your key doesn't work; you had two reservations! Ok, why didn't it occur to you to tell me that in advance?

Then things got even more unpleasant. After my key got re-programmed and as I climbed back up two flights of stairs to my room, one of their housekeeping staff stopped me. She wanted to come and clean my room right then and there. It was early afternoon, maybe 1:30 or so, and she said their cleaning service ended at 3:30. So I needed to let her in pronto if I wanted my room serviced.

I had been gone from my room since about 9:30 that morning. Why didn't anyone clean my room during the time I was gone. It's okay that they hadn't yet gotten to it by early afternoon, but it is absolutely not okay for them to demand that I let them clean my room when it is convenient for them.

So I said no. The maid then asked me, "So you don't want your room serviced then?" I told her I wanted it serviced, but just not right then and there. She huffed and puffed and had a really bad attitude. I more or less had to tell her to go away.

I then called the front desk and asked for the manager. The girl with the French accent said she was the manager. As it turns out, she was not and she was outright lying.

I explained my encounter with the housekeeping staff and told her it was absolutely unacceptable for a hotel to treat their guests that way. Well, the girl with the French accent then proceeded to treat me exactly the same way the housekeeping staff treated me: by demanding that they clean my room now, or if they didn't, I needed to give them an exact time of when they could come in and clean it.

It was truly absurd.

When I checked out the next morning, I relayed the story to Mos at the front desk, and he was very understanding and tried to be helpful, but by then I was already checking out.

One more thing, the rooms at this hotel are quite small. I stayed in a room on the first floor for one night and a room on the third floor for two. Space is quite tight. Lighting is dim, and everything is kind of hidden in nooks and crannies. Definitely expect a bathtub in your bathroom.

Ah, I almost forgot. When I stayed in the room on the third floor, the lights in the ceiling didn't work. I told the front desk to get someone to fix them as I was leaving the hotel at about 6pm. They said they'd take care of it right away. I got back at around 10:30 p.m., and they were not fixed. Called the front desk, spoke to someone else, and they knew nothing about my request. So next morning, I had to call again, spoke to a third person, and again they knew nothing about the problem. Nevertheless, this third person did take care of the lights. it was just more of an effort than I had expected.

I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank canyonskies
Lauren J, General Manager at Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2017

Dear canyonskies,
Thank you for your review. Please accept our sincere apologies for your recent stay. It is upsetting to hear that we let you down on this occasion. I will ensure your feedback is shared with our team & we hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Lauren Job

Write a ReviewReviews (1,326)

Reviewed 14 October 2017

This is a lovely hotel in the best location for exploring the superb Rocks area of Sydney and for access to the harbour. Quirky features with a great reception area/bar. The staff were very friendly and helpful (thanks to Paul for his local knowledge). Despite asking well in advance, we weren't lucky enough to get a room with a view, but the room we had was of a good size and well appointed. There were some minor maintenance issues and heavy staining on the carpet but the room was clean otherwise. Please note there isn't a lift at this hotel, but there is help on hand for luggage. I would definitely recommend the Harbour Rocks Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank louise43
Lauren J, General Manager at Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2017

Dear louise43,
Thank you so much for your review on trip advisor. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback about our location and staff. We hope we can welcome you back to Harbour Rocks Hotel soon.

Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights and had a great experience! Very darling boutique hotel in a convenient location! Delicious breakfast and lovely patio. Moss at the front desk was very accommodating and friendly.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank SeattleTiara

Dear SeattleTiara,
Thank you so much for your review & 5 star rating on trip advisor. We truly appreciate you sharing your recent experience and I will ensure your feedback is shared with our team and especially Moss. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights after an extremely long flight from the UK!

Staff were very friendly as we checked in and the view as we entered the room was unreal - the opera house out of one window and the harbour bridge out the other. The location was also excellent, right on the Rocks.

No lift for customers but a service lift for luggage so this wasn’t a problem for us.

Would 100% recommend this hotel.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hannah S

Dear Hannah S,
Wow! Thank you so much for your review & 5 star rating on trip advisor. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback about our staff & location. I will ensure your comments are shared with our team & we can't wait to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 9 October 2017

I absolutely loved staying at the harbour rocks hotel Sydney. We arrived very early in the morning and to our delight our room was ready. So we were able to have a freshen up before heading out into town for our first day's exploring. The hotel is in a superb location very near the harbour bridge and circular keys, from where you can catch various ferries and cruises to take you round the harbour. You can also easily get the train to and from the airport, which we didn't realise until our return journey that saved us the cab money by going back to the airport on the train. The hotel itself is cute, quirky, decorated in cool neutrals and a welcome change from characterless chains. Without exception every member of staff we came across was polite, friendly, and knowledgeable about the area. They were genuinely really super people.
My two reasons for not giving this hotel five stars: there is no free Wi-Fi in the rooms at all. So even simply checking your emails once a day only becomes possible in the public areas. I think in this day and age for a hotel of this quality free Wi-Fi shouldn't be too much of a problem to offer. My other reason is there was no complementary water in the rooms at all. I do not mention these problems to stop you booking, in fact I want you to book, this is a great hotel with really super people, but I mention these faults in the hope that the hotel decides that free Wi-Fi and free water would be welcome additions for their guests.

Room Tip: Ground floor if you have baggage.