“Find another hotel”

Capitol Square Hotel
Ranked #164 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I don't know if they're trying the old "colonial" feel and atmosphere but it's not working. The facade looks nice, that's it. The rooms look old but not the good "old", it looks unkept and dirty. And it's really small. There were three of us in the room and it is cramped we could barely walk around. The carpets were torn and disgusting. The bathrooms were really bad to say the least. To sum it up, I didn't take a bath for 3 days because of this (its a secret I never tell anybody), I just shampoo'd my hair. Hot shower doesn't work, or is really hard to make it work. Nothing in this hotel is worth complimenting. They claim it's a budget hotel, but it's not really cheap. To be fair, we stayed here on Dec 29 to Jan 1, New Years in Sydney so all the hotels here were fully booked. I'm sure this hotel jacked up their rates for this peak season I dont know how much they charge in off peak. The only good thing I remember in this hotel is the French lady receptionist. She is one of the friendliest and most helpful staff I have encountered. She's really very nice and accommodating. The other staff were complete opposite. They were unfriendly, uninviting, rude, and cold. Overall, I don't think I'll stay here again. Just find another hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank joseph t

Reviewed 23 January 2012

Location of this hotel was great, central to most things Sydney, especially Capitol Theatre is just next door.
The room we had was small but sufficient and clean with small lobby at the main entrance, staff was friendly. Breakfast was average, coffee was awful. The building is a liitle aged needing some attentions.
The price we paid was OK, but wasn't cheap. Not quite the usual standard of the Rydges Brand.
The window was sound proof, but the walls weren't as every time some shut the door, there was a loud bang!

Room Tip: Since this building isn't by the water and is only 5 storeys high, I don't really think it w...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2012

After booking tickets to a show at The Capitol Theatre, I decided to save myself a late night trip home on the train, and stay nearby in 'the city'. This hotel is in Campbell St, just off George St and located about 50 metres from the front of the Capitol Theatre.On the SHORT walk to the theatre you walk past the entrance to a small food court area, containing individual Asian food restaurants, Thai and Japanese were two I noticed, but as we only had 20minutes until the show, we kept walking and came upon'Harry's Cafe de wheels' at the exit of the Capitol Court. Pie mash and mushy peas and gravy....who could ask for better? We returned after the show to enjoy a small meal at the Thai Restaurant.
The room was booked as a special through wotif. The room contained a queen size bed, chair, table/desk, fridge, tea/coffee making, iron & board and good storage. The bathroom had shower over bath (always a bit scarey), All areas were very clean and tidy and of a quality suitable for the very reasonable price.The room had opening windows as well as very efficient air-conditioning. Breakfast was not included in my deal, but for $12 if booked the night before or $17 on the morning, the breakfast was a very pleasant experience. The restaurant is located on 2nd Floor and overlooks the next-door, food court area. Eating on a balcony in the sun, whilst being under the cover of a very high see-through roof was both relaxing and invigorating. The food court is not operational at that time, so is quiet.
The food (hot & cold full breakfast) was very good for an inexpensive buffet. Coffee from a push button machine was initially a disappointment, but ended up being quite good!
Staff at the Front Desk, restaurant and cleaners met in the hall, were all very polite and helpful.
This is not a hotel for a special occasion, but is fantastic if you want good value, clean accommodation in the CBD of Sydney, near the Capitol Theatre, Central Railway Station, Chinatown or Paddy's Market.

Room Tip: Ask for best view. I was on 5th floor looking towards George Street.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Suefifty2
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We were totally disappointed at our stay. The location is excellent but....................... The rooms are small and, lacking any shelf or hanging space for clothes, we were obliged to live out of our suitcases for the three nights we were in Sydney - and there was only floor space for one case, so we had to shuffle those on and off the bed to access them. The carpets were stained, the hallways were dingy

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank monika40Fremantle
Reviewed 9 January 2012

For the price this place is terrible, I was tricked by the "Rydges" branding on the website. I was overseas when I booked, only to fly back and find a small dirty room with stains on the carpet and hairs on the floor in the bathroom - they even call it the "deluxe queen".

Note to self, read the below messages (all are spot on to the experience I had) before booking next time!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple