“Even Better than Last Time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Sydney

Hilton Sydney
Ranked #35 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
tucson
“Even Better than Last Time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

This was my third stay at the Sydney Hilton, about a year since my last visit. This visit was so off-scale that it simply will not be possible to do better on my next visit. Initially, I had reserved a room at the Sheraton, based on the reviews and the fact that the Hilton prices were much higher. A good trick, though, is to check the rates from time to time, and they dropped quite a bit on the day before my arrival. I had booked the Sheraton with an easy cancellation policy, so that was no issue. I decided to book an executive level room, with my plan being to have a light dinner and drinks at the lounge and breakfast early next morning in the lounge as well before my flight home. Given the restaurant prices in Sydney, this would be a "break even" proposition.

Not surprisingly, my room was not ready when I checked in 2 hours early, so I asked if there was another room available. The woman at the desk said that I should wait for this one and, wow, was she ever right! I came back after doing some souvenir shopping and checked into a huge corner suite (actually, one whole end of the hotel). It must have been the King Master Suite (80 sq. m, 860 sq ft), similar to a large one-bedroom apartment with amazing bathroom! The views were also superb, at least for the location of the Hilton, with windows on 3 of the 4 sides of the suite. At checkout, I asked what I did right in my life to be rewarded with the room, and was told that they try to upgrade repeat customers who only stay for one night. So, there is a trick there.

Everything else about the stay was perfect - check-in, check-out, elevators, billing were all quick and effective. As others have noted before, the location is great for a walk to restaurants or to the harbor. The folks in the executive lounge were fantastic and had the kitchen deliver vegetarian-friendly snacks at dinner, since the options for me were otherwise limited.

I'll definitely be back again!

Room Tip: Watch the rates over time to reserve an executive level room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at Hilton Sydney

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your upgrade to one of our King Suites. Due to the high volume of business coming through the hotel each day it is not often we have availability to upgrade our guests to a King Suite; however, I am glad we were able to do so during the night of your stay.

We all look forward to your return sometime in the near future.

Michael Bourne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

Last hotel in a recent tour of Australia, this is an old favourite. I love the modern style and the spot on location in central Sydney.

Only downside is that the rooms are a little on the small side but haing said that this is a hotel to base your going out from!!

I stay roughly 150 nights a year in hotels an I've yet to find a better breakfast buffet.

Definitely a place to consider on a trip to sydney.

• Stayed May 2012
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Thanks so much for your lovely comments.

We are very privileged to be located in the heart of Sydney’s CBD, and I am pleased you enjoyed our world class Hilton Buffet Breakfast!

I look forward to return sometime.

menzie2
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

I stayed one night at the Sydney Hilton. Fortunately it was a work trip, if I had paid more three hundred dollars a night for such a small noisy room I would have been very cranky indeed. The room was tiny and close to the lifts so it was noisy all night. In the end I had to sleep with my iPod on to try to mask the noise. To add insult to injury I got back to the room after dinner to find that the light in the closet wouldn't turn off and as the room was so tiny it meant that even with the doors closed, the light was very irritating. I rang housekeeping and was told that in some rooms the lights were designed to stay on - to which I replied that the end of the light fitting was dangling from the end of the light from masking tape which indicated that it was a problem rather than a design feature. I was told someone would be up in 10 minutes. 20 minutes later I rang back and was told the person was on their way. 15 minutes later I rang back and was told the person was with another guest and would be there in 10 minutes. By this time it was 11.00pm so I said to forget it and put towels along the bottom of the cupboard. I checked out the next morning after a terrible nights sleep. Staying there was a mistake I plan not to repeat.

Room Tip: Don't stay there
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank menzie2
We thank you for sharing your review with us following your stay at Hilton Sydney.

I am very sorry to see that your stay was marred as a result of the noise you experienced in your room, in addition to the light in your room cupboard. Your comments are of great concern to me and in order to assist our investigations into the matter, I would greatly appreciate any further information you would be happy to share, such as your room number and dates of your stay.

Thank you again for your time and valuable feedback as this allows us to identify areas which require improvement.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

The Sydney Hilton is one of my favourite Hilton properties anywhere. I use either Syndey or Singapore as way-points on my trips and look forward to the Hilton properies in both locations (the Conrad in Singapore).

The hotel is located very close to the Town Hall station, about a 25 minute journey from the SYD domestic terminal. Exit towards the Circular Quay direction and you pop out on the street a hundred feet or so from the alleyway entrance to the Hilton. It is directly across the street from the Victoria building.

The modern design of the foyer continues through the hotel and into the rooms. In my visit there last week I had a "relaxation room" which is a bit of an upgrade from the normal fare. It has an oversized washroom area with separate commode and shower cells. A large bathtub occupies the center of the room when the big sliding glass doors to the washroom area of the room are open.

While some may find the desk area small-ish, the couch, desk and round coffee table populate one half of the main-room space while the very comfortable bed (the best sleep I'd had in my month long trip) takes up the rest. If I were to be picky, the most bothersome thing about the room is the skewed angle of the TV. You don't get a straight-on view from either side of the room (couch or bed). It is fixed in one position high up on the wall. Even a swivel mount would be nice. All of the windows in the room had power blinds that do a great job sealing out unwanted light for the jet lagged populace.

I ordered room service... hesitantly... as it was late in the evening when I arrived, and my global experience with room service at that time of the night indicates high risk. I wasn't disappointed. While Australian prices are a shock to the system in the first place the $40 cost of my salad and lasagna was not out of line. Plus, it was very good food... a not totally expected bonus.

To a person the staff is courteous, helpful and welcoming. Check-in and check-out (especially with the Hilton rapid checkout) is fast and efficient, though I always seem to have difficulty with the web download of the folio from this hotel.

There is a lounge on the 36th floor. Over the past couple years I've noticed a slight decline in the quality/variety of food in the lounge, especially at breakfast. Luckily, they have the 2nd floor restaurant area that, while crowded (not significantly more crowded than the lounge) delivers first rate food, and a lot of it.

In short, this is where I stay the most when in Sydney, even if it means sacrificing points/nights at my usual chain, and staying a few blocks off the harbour views.

Room Tip: Higher is better, but best of all, get HHonors status. I haven't had a bad room there yet.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback with us.

We are thrilled you enjoyed your overall stay at Hilton Sydney and that you were pleased with your Relaxation room. However, with regards to the television angles, as you mentioned the TV mounted on the wall is fixed, although for future stays you may wish to be advised that the TV located in the lounge area is built on a swivel mount and is able to rotate if required.

I am so glad you were happy with the quality of our In Room Dining service; our Executive Chef and his team will be delighted to receive your comments.

I understand you encountered some difficulty with retrieving your folio via your Hilton Honors web profile – Unfortunately our system operates off the main server in the United States and is therefore slower to download when in Australia, as opposed to when in the US. We sincerely regret any inconvenience caused and your feedback has been escalated to our Brand Performance Support Team for further investigation and upgrade accordingly.

To bring Hilton Sydney in line with our global brand standard, the Executive Lounge provides continental breakfast whilst all other options, including hot food, are served in Glass Brasserie.

Once again, thank you very much for your time and comments which we greatly appreciate; and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Sydney in the very near future.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

We decided to splurge and stay at the Hilton for our wedding anniversary after having such a good experience last time. We arrived early as we had a booking for High Tea at another city hotel. Our room wasn't ready which wasn't surprising but the guy at reception spent time in finding a corner room with great views and slightly more space than the standard rooms which was appreciated.

We had access to the Executive Club and the Hilton is one of our favorites. They have an extensive and imaginative range of food offerings and a good range of drinks. In fact after the High Tea and the club food, dinner was not necessary.

Our room was comfortable. They are not the largest hotel rooms but are quite well designed.

The only negatives, as mentioned we'd been to High Tea at another hotel. They made a real fuss of us as it was our anniversary and got everything exactly right. We had mentioned when making the booking at the Hilton that it was for a special occasion as well as when we checked in but there was no acknowledgement at all. After the experience in the other hotel, this was a little disappointing. The other negative is the breakfast in the club lounge. Last time we stayed, our rate included breakfast in the hotel restaurant which was outstanding. We were hard pressed to find anything that appealed in the club lounge spread which was such a contrast to the offerings in the evening.

All in all a good experience which could have been excellent with just a little more effort.

Room Tip: Corner suites are slightly roomier with great views.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fussyvoyager
MichaelBourne01, General Manager at Hilton Sydney, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Hilton Sydney.

I am sorry to read that we did not acknowledge your Anniversary during your stay. We pride ourselves on making the special occasions truly memorable and we sincerely regret that this was not the case during your stay. I have most certainly relayed your feedback to our Reservations team to be more vigilant in preventing any such communication breakdown in future.

Regarding breakfast, Glass Brasserie indeed offers a wider variety of breakfast favourites including a selection of hot food, whereas the Executive Lounge focuses on delivering the Continental option.

Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope we will have another opportunity to serve you again in future and create an experience which surpasses your expectations.