“Typical short stay city hotel”

Cambridge Hotel Sydney
Ranked #34 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
FALKIRK, SCOTLAND
“Typical short stay city hotel”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Stayed for three nights .Good location with plenty of restaurants nearby in Oxford Street.Hotel clean with good room on 14 th floor.
In house restaurant only available for breakfast at a very steep 17 dollars. Much cheaper outlets available nearby.
Would not have been happy with longer stay due to basic nature of hotel but it was part of cruise package put together by travel agent so overall OK

• Stayed March 2012
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Dear JimS87A
It is great to hear that your expectations have been met when staying with us at the Cambridge Hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your room. Please note that we offer very competitive breakfast for $ 17.95 which includes an all you can eat full buffet breakfast with 5 hot dishes, ham, cheese, bread and bread rolls, yoghurt, muesli, cereals and etc. We look forward to welcoming you, your friends and family back to the hotel in the near future.
Regards
Steven Gargano

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Had an excellent stay at the Cambridge Hotel. Visiting Sydney with friends from overseas and was impressed from check in to check out.
Front desk staff very friendly and helpful. We were checked in promptly and assisted with our bags up to our room. The front desk staff were always smiling and prompt with any questions.
We were located on level 9 of the hotel and had a great view of the city and even a view of the opera house. The room contained all the mod cons needed for our trip. The room was serviced daily and was always spotless. The mini bar was reasonable and the TV a good size with a great selection of channels, and most importantly the bed was very comfortable
The hotel was located in a great part of the city, Surrey Hills coffee shops and eateries on your doorstep, walking distance to hyde park and the CBD and a 2min walk to bus stops for destinations all over the city. We could not have chosen a more central location and walked to all tourist sights and destinations
Overall we were very impressed with the value for money, great customer service and friendly staff, thanks for making our trip to Sydney a great one and we will be back again

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Ozal_9

How great to hear the you have had a wonderful time at the Cambridge Hotel Sydney. Indeed the hotel is situated in a great and exciting suburb. Surry Hills is famous for its great range of eateries, bars, boutiques and night clubs. Thank you very much for your great comments towards our staff and the hotel itself. We look forward welcoming you back to the Cambridge in the near future.
Best Regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I had a brilliant stay at the Cambridge. The staff were friendly, the room was comfortable and clean. The room was cleaned and the bed made every day, clean towels provided and soap, shampoo re-stocked. It is convenient for everything - you can walk to the CBD, the Harbour, Circular Quay, Darling Harbour, Central Station, the beaches are a bus ride away, and there are plenty of good bars and restaurants nearby. Thoroughly recommended!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Dear Ann F
I am so happy that you have had a great stay at the Cambridge Hotel. We are always aiming for the highest guest satisfaction and it is great to hear that we have achieved this. Thank you for your great comments towards our staff, the amenities and the location of the hotel. We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
Best Regards
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Stayed 4 nights over Mardi grad weekend, room rate on Saturday of the parade was $399, which is very steep. I have stayed here on a regular basis over the last 10 years and there has been little improvement or upgrading of rooms, linen is of poor quality, and the lifts are always a problem, as there are only 2 minuscule lifts for a 14 story hotel. Cupboard space in the 'deluxe balcony room' was tiny and poorly designed. Position makes up for a lot of the downsides

• Stayed March 2012
Dear donaldasher,
Thank you for your feedback in regards to your recent stay at the Cambridge Hotel. I am sorry to hear the we did not meet your expectations in regards to room rate and the standard of the hotel room. Please note the Mardi Gras weekend is one of the busiest weekends for hotels in Sydney. Mardi Gras weekend together with New Year's Eve are the nights with the highest occupancy in Sydney. I do apologies for the inconvenience with the long wait for the lifts, however I must point out that the hotel has undergone a total refurbishment in 2009. All rooms were refurbed along with the lobby and lifts. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel to show you that we are committed to guest satisfaction and how we have used your feedback constructively.
Warm Regards
Sydney
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I recently stayed at the Cambridge Hotel to enjoy the sights and sounds of Sydney and catch up with some friends that I hadn't seen in ages. I have to say that my trip from start to finish was exceptional! When it comes to staying away from home I am a bit of prude and very frugal with my money. I want the best value for it but also at the same time except that you cant expect to have 5* accommodation on a 1* budget! (I'd be an idiot if I thought I could actually get it for this!) This is where I think the Cambridge has hit the spot, affordable yet appealing accommodation at its best!

The service was fantastic, on arrival I was able to park my car in the multi storey car park below the hotel. Although this is not part of the hotel its ideally situated if you drive. I took the elevator up to reception where I was greeted with a warm smile and friendly hello by a lady named Donna. She checked me in nice and quickly, the usual protocol credit card, fill in your details etc and I was whizzed off to my room 1208! Something to note is that only guests with a room key card can gain access to your floor before the lift will operate, leaving me feeling safe and secure that not every Tom, Dick or Harry can access the hotel.

On entry to my room the view was fantastic, it was clean, fresh and had all the mod cons needed; phone, wifi - prepaid, iPhone doc, desk, lounge area, large tv with Foxtel (it even had the sports channel!), mini bar which was very well priced a beer was only $4.00 and air con.

Where the hotel was located was another great benefit, it is in the heart of Surry Hills and a 1 minute walk onto Oxford street where all the bars, clubs and restaurants are and if you want to head into the CBD then that will take you 15-20mins scenic walk through Hyde Park or a taxi ride 5-10mins costing $10-$15.00 (there is plenty of public transport also).

In the mornings I had breakfast in the 212 cafe, I was served by Adam, very professional & polite, he was quick and efficient with my order leaving me little time to time to read my complimentary news paper lol. On one of the evenings I had to organise a restaurant for me and my friends to go to, so I asked the reception desk if they could recommend anywhere. I was greeted by a lady called Sarah, again like all the other staff I had spoken to during my stay, she was knowledgable & friendly and knew loads about the local area. She recommended a pizza place around the corner from the hotel called Mad Pizza. She also recommended a pub across the road from the hotel called the Porter House, a lively Irish pub, with special $10.00 meal offers and a pub quiz on a Wednesday. However I opted for the pizza place, if you get the chance I certainly encourage dining here, the pizza's are devine and again the service is second to none, polite friendly and efficient!

Whilst on my stay I also found out that they are splitting the hotel in to three separate hotels. They are currently building a new section which is due to finish in August 2012. It is going to be a 5* serviced apartment type hotel leaving the Cambridge to remain at 4* and another part of the hotel to be 3* giving lots more variety to those with different budget types! Fantastic concept!

Lastly, although it may be seen as a negative, they dont have a gym within the hotel, however they have arranged for guests staying to have free access to a gym around the corner called Boxing Works (www.boxingworks.com.au). It is actually quite nice to leave the hotel especially when it is in bid to get some exercise! Being a regular gym user, I do like a clean and friendly place to work out, this place is great! Although it is mainly martial arts users, the gym was clean, I could find the weights where I needed to, cardio machines were sweat free, no intimidating Personal Trainer looking over my shoulder and the staff are polite & friendly. I recommend doing a Boxercise class I did the 6.15pm class on Monday, it was busy but the atmosphere was amazing!

The three nights I spent there were brilliant, and I had a really good nights sleep on all occasions, the bed was comfortable & clean, and the pillows are to die for! The level of service I received was great, the staff were friendly & polite right from the smiley House Keepers to the Managers on reception, always willing to please, they honestly couldn't do more for you. I would certainly recommend this hotel to friends and family members to come and stay!

Thank you for an amazing stay and I will be sure to check in soon!

Room Tip: I'd say call and book directly with the hotel and avoid the middleman as I have experienced in t...