“Close to China Town, Entertainment Centre and great transport”

Holiday Inn Darling Harbour
Ranked #87 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 26 January 2012

The Hotel is located across the road from the Entertainment centre.
There is a 24 hour McDonalds directly across the road if you feel like fast food.
It is adjacent to the Sydney China Town precinct.
The food in this area is so good and so many places to eat that I cannot mention.
It is a 4 minute stroll to the Paddys Markets. Markets that sell fruit, veg, meat, clothes and anything else you might want to purchase.
The markets are located below what is best described as a shopping centre with a supermarket, banks, bars, TAB and other specialist shops. There are some shops similar to factory outlets throughout Sydney and Brisbane. Great value and some good deals to be found.
The room was quiet.
I had a room overlooking the market building.
Internet was wired and around $20 per day.
In this age of Wifi etc - it should probably be complimentary.
The room had a queen size bed.
Large enough for me alone. For two people the room would be adequate and spacious as well.
The shower/toilet area is simple and does include a bath tub.
The toiletries provided were sufficient for the stay.
Check in and check out a relatively efficient process.
I ate one morning in Shipleys Restuarant. This is a buffet breakfast.
This was included in my room stay. Else the fee was $25 i think for breakfast.
I can say that it is overpriced. The restuarant is small and you may need to line up for a seat from around 7am - 8.30am.
The food was basic, the quality, ordinary and the selection very restricted.
The water had run out in the tea dispenser and when I asked could it be filled I received a strange look from the attendant which amount to "go away".
I think you could find some better options locally for the $25 they charge.
Overall the hotel is clean, great location.
Serviced by trains, buses, and the tram system.
You can board the tram and be at the casino in less than 10 minutes.
An easy 8 min stroll to be around the Cinema and Sydney Town Hall District.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,611)

Reviewed 21 January 2012

There was nothing wrong with this hotel and the very busy staff did whatever they could to help visitors. I was on a work trip and due to back office problems my booking had jot been paid for. The man at check in let me go up t my room while he sorted out payment with the company's booking service, for which I was very grateful. He could have made me do it.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 January 2012

The Holiday inn isn't usally a hotel chain we stay at but given the limited availablity of hotels for New Year in Sydney at the time of booking we decided to go for it and I have to say it was an excellent stay.

Arrived on New Year Eve and despite check in being extremely busy we waited less than 5 minutes. The staff were pleasant, asked us about our plans for the evening and gave handy tios about where was best to view the fireworks etc.

We were given a corner room on the top floor which was modern, clean and extremely well equiped. There was a seperate sofa and arm chair and made a very relaxing stay. The bathroom was basic but functioned as you would expected and had nice toiletries.

Running late for New Year dinner reservations the concerige went out of their way to get us a taxi (this was difficult as lots of the roads in the area closed NYE) which was really apprecaiated. They were equally helpful at the end of the holiday including printing directions to the Hunter Valley as we had hired a car. The bar was nice and reasonably priced - especially at happy hour.

The hotel is in a good location for Darling Harbour, Exhibition centre, China town and Paddys Market. There is also a monorail station across the road meaning you can easily get around the rest of the city centre.

The only negative was the cost of wifi, however, if you stand outside facining MAcDonalds opposite you can pick up theirs for free!

All in all great value for money and an excellent stay in Sydney, look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2012

As we were going to see a concert at the Entertainment Centre this hotel could not of been any closer!!!!! Staff were very friendly and the beds were the softest and most comfortablest beds I have slept in in any hotel. As we were travelling with our 3 and a half year old son, I loved the fact that the mini bar was empty but could order drinks or mini bar items from housekeeping as I hate going to a hotel and my son pulling everything or wanting everything from the minibar. Although in the middle of the city, you could not hear a single noise from outside due to to double glassed windows. The only thing that I didn't like about the hotel was the bright orange feauture wall in the room!!! Definitely stay at this hotel again!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We stayed here after a long train trip. It was comfortable and quiet. The location is excellent. So close to so many different things. I would defiantly stay again. The only thing is I wish they still put some things in the mini bar e.g. Water. But that seems to be standard these days.

• Stayed: January 2012