“Visual and flavour sensation”
Review of Spice Temple

Spice Temple
Ranked #224 of 6,740 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Description: This is a restaurant by the famous Neil Perry, one of the top chefs in Sydney
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We had dinner here with friends on a Saturday evening. I had been tempted by their social media posting of delicious looking dishes and was very much looking forward to it. We eventually found the entrance and descended down stairs into the bowels of the building where the dim lit restaurant appeared. The aromas were inviting.

Kung Pao chicken - ostentatious with it's abundance of bright red chillies, was delicious. Whole steamed snapper - beautiful although tiny. Fried eggplant - spicy and succulent.

The service was good although the waiters were rushed of their feet so it appeared understaffed.

Great place to go with friends. Will be back for sure.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I wanted to try Australian lobster and noticed they had it on their menu. I had it stir fry with ginger and scallion. It was delicious! The sauce was awesome. Couldn't finish all of it on my own but I packed it up for later. So good!

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Unfortunately this place is really going down hill - food barely edible / poor value for money - had a couple of the signature dishes - kungpow chicken - once scrapped away the 1000 chills and other debris to find about 6 pieces of chicken - pork ribs were not fresh - plus side cocktails and wine list good - staff this time were pretty good unlike last visit - a Shame since nice venue but plenty of better Asian places now to eat in sydney.

1  Thank gjhSydney_Australia
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We booked here for my birthday again this year, even though there were issues last year. On arrival we were given a brief nod toward the bar where we waited far too long to be offered drinks. Then a woman gruffly asked if we were x name for the booking and when we answered yes she mumbled something inaudible and walked off. We worked out we were to follow and figured out that we should take our own $33 glasses of champagne. No problem but not typical for a restaurant of this level - usually I’m battling staff to carry my drink.

After some consideration, and three staff into the experience, we decided not to waste our time, paid and went somewhere we were welcomed and served with grace.

Won’t be on the list of restaurants for personal or professional meals anymore, nor would I recommend it. Such a shame, used to be terrific.

1  Thank CatADog
Reviewed 20 March 2018

Over an extended period "down under' my Wife and I dined at the Spice Temple twice. We were so pleased with them with my Wife's Birthday dinner we returned weeks later to experience their succulent tasting menu again. I was particularly impressed with their lamb dishes, and soft shell crab. Enjoyed the juicy duck dish as well. The décor was appropriately subdued and airy. The only negative was the noise of the full restaurant. Don't know if there is a way to reduce the noise level.