“What a great pub!”

Ranked #1,599 of 6,629 Restaurants in Sydney
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

If you are ever in Sydney and want a good pint of beer then visit the Duke of Clarence. Fantastic place, great people and a most memorable visit. Thanks for everything

Reviewed 5 March 2018

The Duke of Clarence is quite difficult to find, beng located in an alley behind Clarence Street, accessed via a narrow driveway between two businesses. There is no indication of its existence in Clarence Street itself. It certainly has an ambience reminiscent of an English pub, although the waitress service is a bit out of character. On the day of our only visit to date, many off the classic English pub menu items, e.g. Ploughman's lunch, scotch egg and fish finger sandwiches were all unavailable, as was my first choice of draft beer. I settled for a salad (OK) and a glass of Old Speckled Hen, which was, unfortunately, served ice cold. It needs to be served at cellar temperature to bring out the true flavour, so I let it warm up and then it was fine.
We shall try this place again and hope that by then they will be serving some of the pub favourites that are shown on the menu but were not on offer on the day of our visit.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

I had head that there was a new bar in Clarence Street Sydney
I was also told that one could go through the barber shop in York street to get there,
So I go into the barber shop , the Barber looks at me, and said -Up the stairs slide the metal door and turn left, which I did, Voila The Duke Of Clarence Bar.
Well, lovely large seats, good lighting and the Fish Finger Sandwiches, were great.

Reviewed 12 February 2018

Just by Baxters down the laneway off Clarence St. Went on a busy Friday evening. Authentic British pub with attention to detail in evidence. Having Speckled Hen and Fullers London Pride on tap (@ $13 for a pint) was my personal highlight and well worth the trip. That said, there are many other tap beers (mostly Australian), bottled beers, cocktails, Pimms and other libations available. Waitress service available. I have yet to try the menu although the choice available looks very appealing. Very happy with this new addition to the Sydney pub scene.