“Nice restaurant ”

Planar Restaurant
Ranked #1,897 of 6,902 Restaurants in Sydney
Price range: USD 10 - USD 28
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Description: Planar Restaurant is the newest Restaurant & Bar on the Harbour. Situated right by the harbour’s edge, be swept away by the panoramic views of Darling Harbour & Sydney CBD. Whether it’s break fast, a lazy lunch, a pre show dinner date or simply a handcrafted cocktail with a water view; Planar is truly perfect for any occasion
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We really enjoyed our dinner and service in this restaurant, would defiantly recommended it to other visitors.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 3 April 2018

It’s not every day you see Gladys Berejiklian launch a restaurant. Clad in red, the ribbon-cutting NSW Premier caused a ripple of excitement through the tightly packed attendees, many of whom were Armenian-Australians. Fellow politicians, the Hon. Natalie Ward MLC and Councillor Sarkis Yedelian, joined Berejiklian at the event.

The restaurant in question - Planar - carves out a space under the new International Conference Centre. It’s the latest outlet for Gary Simonian from Platinum Restaurant Group. Simonian already owns a significant amount of restaurant real estate in Darling Harbour, with Harbour Kitchen & Bar, Blackbird, Casa, and Meat District Co. taking up prime positions on both sides of Cockle Bay.

The architecture of the restaurant works in well with the soaring concrete flyovers, framing the view of Darling Harbour in a uniquely angular way. Cutting into our enjoyment of the space over-zealous International Conference Centre security made a militarized zone between the bar and outdoor seating (a mere metre and a half away) targeting anyone holding an alcoholic drink. One can only hope their enthusiasm is curbed during Planar’s usual operation, as the space – despite serving up breakfast, lunch and dinner - definitely looks like it should be a dugout bar. The beverage list is extensive, and I’m told cocktail making classes are on the way.

Like Simonian's other Cockle Bay restaurants, the menu at Planar is wide-ranging, designed to please a wide variety of eaters. Across the course of the evening we were introduced a good portion of the dishes, starting with Crispy Squid ($16) with soft polenta, pesto, cherry tomato and fried shallots. Ingredient quality was high across cubes of grilled wagyu and medium rare beef mince that was presented as patties with yoghurt sauce and pita bread in a dish called Acropolis ($16).

Effortless dough twirling in the open pizza kitchen captivated the attention of guests, including myself. The culinary highlight of evening was the miniature versions of their Red Lobster Pizza ($28). Even with sparingly applied toppings of fresh lobster, cherry tomatoes, chives, Italian cheese, and roasted garlic butter, these thin-crust mini pizzas really impressed. After a quick fire in the gas pizza oven, they were dressed with fresh lemon zest and drizzled with aioli right before our eyes. I look forward to heading back to Planar to give the menu a proper going over next time I'm in the neighbourhood for a show.

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

I brought my girlfriend here and this was the perfect place. Our waitress was really good and super nice. She helped us order the right food with the right wine. Will definitely come back here ! This place is beautiful

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

12 noon and we were taking a break firm the conference. Great looking venue, decor inspiring and modern. Maître D eager to sit us. The outside area we were sat in was delightful and at that stage empty, 12 noon, inside was full. We sat and the waitress quickly filled our water glasses. That is where the service stopped. The whole area filled up, some 15-20 tables and they took their orders before ours. You can imagine the hand waving that was going on and despite 3 staff assuring us we were next it took 30 mins to have our orders taken. Should have left before this time but had been awake from 3.45 am by this stage. Finally our food arrived and was ok but will not go back. Suggest walk beyond it and get food elsewhere.

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

I happened upon this place while walking the harbour one night, and that a no to the next question, I was not picking up sailors on the quay.
I filled myself with delights from the menu while a young chef in an open kitchen behind me pulled chicken apart, I know what you were thinking then, naughty.
As a fellow Chef of forty years I tried to have a little chat with with him that was reduced to a couple of grunts and then totally ignoring the fact that he was in an open kitchen and customer services should be part of that.
I found most of he staff accommodating and good service was provided.
If you go the wagu sliders are to die for but ask for chilli to go with it, the prawn lollipops are a treat but avoid the squid, it comes in this tasteless porridge that adds nothing to the dish, I didn’t understand that element of this dish.
Chefs, if your gonna work in open kitchens then use it as your stage and use customer service skills to get through the day.
Music was great, I love who ever is doing the funky tune.
Ps I did go back again for some more sliders.