“Souvlaki at the Gorgon’s Lair”

Medusa Greek Taverna
Ranked #48 of 6,665 Restaurants in Sydney
Price range: USD 14 - USD 37
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

Do you dare to enter the Gorgon’s lair? Well there’s something in Sydney CBD that will satisfy your warrior desires - Medusa Greek Taverna. It may not have ferocious monsters, but the ferocity is in the deliciousness of the food.

It was the afternoon, and I had had a long day. I was walking along Market Street needing a decent meal, but something caught my eye - the beautiful stone steps leading upward to a palace fit for the gods, with modern glass doors and furniture and a sort of seaside Greek appeal. I thought to myself: “This is the place where I want to eat.” And I wasn’t wrong.

I entered the restaurant. It appeared to be completely empty but I didn’t consider it surprising (it was only 5:45 pm.) Then as I looked around for a cashier, a round-faced friendly man in a chef outfit suddenly appeared. I got a table (instantly) then I sat down and observed the view.

It was facing Darling Harbour and I could see the beautiful horizon beyond (the perfect time, just before sunset!) and I was entranced by the delicate atmosphere which the restaurant brought. Then, all of a sudden, a lively Greek dance song started playing in the restaurant and the nearby TV started a slide-show of Greek harbours and I felt like I was transported to Greece in an instant. Little did I know that I was truly within the Greece that was in Sydney, and that was the Medusa Greek Taverna.

I ordered a Lamb Souvlaki (Lamb kebab with lemon slices, parsley + tomato + cucumber + onion salad, with a side of chips with pita and tzatziki dip - $35), and even before it arrived I was constantly presented with water refills, offers for drinks and a filling entree (which was a platter of Greek street nibbles). Then slowly, the people started pouring in.

The lamb souvlaki arrived (it wasn’t slow) and the size and magnitude of the meal shocked me. I glanced briefly at the kebab and at the steak knife, and wondered how I would manage to remove the meat from the skewer with such a full plate. Well, as it turned out, I didn’t have to. I poked the meat with my fork and found that the skewer had already been removed! Slightly smiling, I began my delicious meal.

It didn’t take long for me to get full (an unusual occurrence.) I sipped some water (constantly refilled) and thought back to the days of the Greeks. What splendour would a restaurant like this have in those days? Definitely the blessing of Zeus. And speaking of blessings? The dessert menu arrived, and although I was stuffed to the brim, I couldn’t resist a peek at the menu.

I chose the spirit of the Gorgon - the “Medusa” dessert (macerated strawberry and pomegranate juice + ice cream + rose water fairy floss - $15) and found myself impressed. When it arrived, I let out an audible exclamation of surprise (several diners looked at me, amused!) It was definitely one of the highlights of the meal - from the texture of the ice cream down to the tangy strawberry’s perfect flavour, if you’re looking for the perfect way to top off a meal then you need to search no longer. The table adjacent to me heard my expression of surprise, and I eagerly recommended them the dessert. When I saw the looks of satisfaction on their faces after tasting their first scoop, I knew that the gods were truly in this restaurant and there was magic in the food.
(How else could I instantaneously get a top-up of my drink the moment after I sip it? Only magic can accomplish that!)
And as I left the premises, the smiles on the faces of the diners were infectious and I found myself grinning widely as I descended the staircase of the restaurant.

A good restaurant is something you don’t see every day - unless you regularly walk past Medusa Greek Taverna.
I hope your experiences here will be as good as mine.

1  Thank sugarplan
Write a ReviewReviews (1,184)

Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

What a meal! Best meal in 28 years. 28 years ago we spent our honeymoon in Malia Crete and that is when we last are proper Greek food. Medusa you are absolutely amazing. Your waiter is so attentiv and kind that I was blown away. Then the entre /main was top notch. When will I be able to eat like this again. Hopefully I don't have to wait another 28 years. Love

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

Delicious menu, atmosphere and wine selection.
Loved the Macedonian selection. Medusa dessert delicious

Reviewed 6 October 2017

My wife and I walked in off street to Medusa and they were very accommodating to let us in.The atmosphere was excellent and service was very fast and efficient.Our meals were delicious and this is definitely the best greek food I have ever tasted.We shared the Garithes Sagnaki for entrée and I couldn't get enough of the prawns and wonderful sauce.I had the filled chicken breast for main which was cooked perfectly and the sauce and mash were fantastic.My wife had a special,which was angel hair pasta with seafood.She thought it would have a lot more sauce(considering there was dipping bread supplied,butt it was a bit dry.Very tasty nonetheless.Highly recommend.

Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

Having visited Greece earlier this year it was wonderful to be transported back to Santorini for a couple of hours. The food was beautiful, fresh and full of flavor. My favorite dish whilst in Greece was Dolmades so we commenced our meal with this treat and they did not disappoint. As someone who is both gluten and lactose intolerant it was very easy to order - and the Saganaki made using sheeps milk cheese was an unexpected bonus. The lamb shoulder was delightful - fall off the bone tender. Lovely evening.