“Fawlty Towers without the laughs”
Review of Acre Eatery

Acre Eatery
Ranked #658 of 6,739 Restaurants in Sydney
Description: acre is the farmer's home. Simple, practical, tactile.Warm and intimate. The large kitchen table is his meeting place. The food is the celebration, born from the adjacent farm, dictated to by the seasons and by nature, brought together in a simple, heartfelt way.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We live locally and want this place to be good. It looks great. But after 4 or 5 visits I have to say it's to be avoided.
How is it acceptable to have one person working behind the bar with a queue more than 10 deep?
Sitting outside on a weekend you can't get a burger for lunch - they're only available after 4pm.
It's all a bit Fawlty Towers but without the laughs.
I can only assume no-one there has ever run a successful bar or restaurant.

NoemieBenit, Manager at Acre Eatery, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Hi Sarah, thank you for your review. We really appreciate you being open about your experience at acre so we can learn from it. Over the weekend, we have 2 bartenders taking orders and 1 bartender making the drinks, to ensure that everything runs smoothly. Our burgers are available on our lunch menu from 12pm onwards. We're not really sure what caused that miscommunication, but we're very sorry about it. Every manager at acre has over 15 years experience in the hospitality industry, and has ran successful businesses, including acre. We're so sorry to hear that your previous experiences with us failed to reflect that. We really hope to have you over again soon. Have a lovely weekend.
The acre team

Reviewed 2 April 2018

We booked a table for 7 and 1 small child on Easter Saturday. The children's menu whilst basic was Ok but overpriced for a small bowl of pasta and a fruit platter for $15. My granddaughter as well as the whole table were a little confused on why the apple was covered in salt, the adults ate the apple but my granddaughter thought it was horrible. As for the meals we have eaten here before and still believe that it is a great concept but definitely still overpriced ands the menu needs revising. The 7 people are very local infact across the road and when Acre opened we all thought wonderful a great place to meet and eat, however, since opening it still has not improved since my last visit. Yes, the staff a great, wine Ok but overpriced and some of the share plates a quite good value but the salads we ordered were very bland but the killer was the tomahawk steak. As a group we decided share plates and salads a great idea and the steak sounded wonderful as the waitress said it would be able to be shared between 3 to 4 people. Yes, it could be shared and the steak was nice but we had 4 men on our table and basically 2 men could have eaten it no problem but the killer was when we asked for the bill and found out the steak was $140 it was not a $140 steak. The price should have been mentioned when the waitress advised of the specials and I am sure we would not have selected the steak instead ordered a different share plate as we do always enjoy the lamb and the pork . Also there was10% surcharge on public holiday it was mentioned on the menu but not when booked and I feel that this was should have been mentioned. So we decided that as we were not that happy with the meal the waitress unfortunately missed out on a tip. We have now tried Acre 3 or 4 times from lunch to dinner and you still have not really changed from your original thought pattern so much potential drop the prices of the restaurant and change the menu up a little so locals can become regulars.

NoemieBenit, Manager at Acre Eatery, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Hi Carol, thank you for your feedback. We're sorry to hear that you feel our offering isn't just right. In regards to the pricing, have you taken a look at our bar menu that we serve outside? Since last month, we're aiming to provide a very different experience inside than outside with the opening of our Spritz bar. The dishes outside are also to share, but are from a different price range and just the general feel is very different. You can take a look at www.acreeatery.com.au/spritzbar-menu ; We're really trying to provide a space where locals can come to connect, and your feedback really matters to us and helps us to create that. We're looking forward to having you over again. Have a lovely day

Reviewed 20 March 2018 via mobile

Firstly I will preface this by saying, I really adore the concept of this restaurant and immensely enjoyed seeing their lovely vegetable patch. Wonderful idea and I hope more restaurants follow suit.

In terms of dining in, we tried to book in advance but we're greeted by a pre-recorded message telling us the booking office was closed and to book online, however, online, they could not vacate a table for us. Fortunately once we arrived, there were a few empty tables and we were seated immediately. I really appreciated the atmosphere - much like a farmhouse with a modern twist and even the waiters were dressed accordingly.. I felt like I was dining on a homely ranch and overall, it was well thought out and executed.

The staff were prompt and helpful. The kitchen accomodated for our gluten-free requirements which was appreciated. I enjoyed our meals but I had quite high expectations. The cured salmon I found was bland, the cream served with it was mellow and the dish needed far more acidity for balance. However, the stand out dish was the garden salad - crisp and fresh, we did enjoy this more than any of our other meals.

Overall, I was hoping the flavors were more intense and I was expecting more creativity in terms of the main courses. In conclusion, our dinner was pleasant but not anything memorable like I'd have hoped.

This restaurant has great potential and I do plan on dining again in a few months, hopefully at that point, I will have more positive feedback. Wishing you the best of luck regarding your hospitality venture!

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Lovely setting in the middle of urban setting a little oasis. Great food, entrees large servings, salt fish croquettes were fantastic as was the Guinness pie. Staff were friendly & attentive.

NoemieBenit, Manager at Acre Eatery, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

Hi Lyndell, thank you for your kind words. It was our pleasure to have you as our guests. Hope to see you again soon.
The acre team

Reviewed 11 March 2018

Dined for lunch in a group of 12. As over 10 people had to take a set menu either a 2 or 3 course. Opted for 2 at a cost of $65/person. Cost was no where near commensurate for amount of food that was provided, plus it was provided on a share as opposed to individual servings. Starters consisted of bread, a dip, small bowl of cubed salmon with herbs - that was for 4 people. Mains were to share between 6 people consisting of one plate of risotto (barely enough as a single course for one person), one grilled snapper which would have been a main for one person and a lamb roast with vegetables, a green salad and a bowl of fat chips - ALL that for SIX people!
Ordered sparkling mineral water and was served soda stream in a carafe.
To cap it off there was a mandatory 10% gratuity added to the bill because of a group booking - go figure. I would have thought it would be easier to cater for a 2 course set menu than for 12 mixed individual orders.
With a beer and a coffee it cost $84/ person, which we would not have minded if we did not go away with just having a 'tasting lunch'.
The staff were friendly although had to remind them that 15 minutes ago we ordered a couple of beers. Setting was casual complemented by the surrounding pocket city farm which enhanced the atmosphere. Chairs not made for long term sitting.
Not a venue that I would be rushing to go back any time soon.