“Love this place”

National Zoo and Aquarium
Ranked #10 of 242 things to do in Canberra
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The National Zoo & Aquarium is privately owned and Australia's only combined Zoo and Aquarium.That's 2 attractions in one! We are situated on around 7 hectares of land just five minutes from the centre of Canberra. With a wide variety of both native and exotic animals, as well as the largest inland saltwater tank in Australia, there is something for everyone. Wander in and have a casual stroll around the park, or make a day of it with family, friends and make use of our picnic areas and complimentary BBQ facilities. Our Animal Encounters provide visitors with an opportunity to get up close and personal with some of the worlds most amazing creatures!
Reviewed 2 April 2012

So much so that we got a yearly pass, the zoo is extremely interactive for little children and the animals are easily seen for little people.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,209)
All reviews
"picnic lunch"
"entry fee"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed 30 March 2012

This is a very well presented zoo. The animals all have a lot of room and nice looking enclosures. There is a lot to see there so expect to spend several hours there. If you're lucky you can get right up close to wild kangaroos. Don't count on it though, I did take my mom there one time and there wasn't kangaroo to be seen, but I have seen them on every other visit! The aquarium section was reduced years ago unfortunately but it's still quite good too. Overall this is definitely well worth visiting!

Reviewed 29 March 2012

Lots of animals to see, and wonderful options to 'meet a cheeter' and feed the animals.
I do miss the old Shark tank that you walked through when I was a child, however the zoo is such a fantastic experience. A great way to spend a day, bring your own lunch or enjoy a treat there.

A little pricey for an entry fee, but worth it as they look after the animals so well and the upkeep of the park is spectacular.

Reviewed 28 March 2012

Although I say we went in September we 've been many times.Compared to some Zoo's it maybe a little small but they do a wonderful job I think. I love the monkey's and my favorite animals are the Dingo s .For some it might be a bit expensive to do regularly but I strongly recommend the Canberra zoo for a wonderful time, especially with family and young children. Dont try to rush around it. Take a picnic and enjoy it as long as possible