“A nice & easy trip”

Royal Australian Mint
Ranked #10 of 257 things to do in Canberra
More attraction details
Owner description: Come to the Mint, where every single Australian coin in the pockets of millions of Australians is made! While wandering through the Mint's observation gallery you can look into the coin production factory and marvel at Titan, one of our great family of robots who help out with all the heavy lifting. Spend some time in the theatrette where a video will take you behind the scenes to explain the fascinating process of making coins. Check out the rare and historically significant coins on show from the National Coin Collection, which is held in the vaults of the Mint. Mint your own collectable coin and browse the Mint Coin Shop where you can find great gifts, mementos of your visit or even start your own collection! We offer free public tours twice daily Monday- Friday and three times daily on the weekends.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I came here at the last hour of the day, although most parts in the factory had stopped and not able to see how the factory is actually working. There are many interesting intro about the coin facts. Only one place for little kids to do the drawing though. A lot of beautiful coin selections to choose from in the shop. It's perfect for the coin collectors to come visit.

Royal_Aust_Mint, Public Relations Manager at Royal Australian Mint, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Thanks for the review. Sadly our factory does have inevitable downtimes, however our multimedia touchscreens are always available to show you each stage of coin-making up close. We’ll be sure to pass on your feedback about our children’s activity table.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,109)
All reviews
"gift shop"
in 70 reviews
"guided tour"
in 63 reviews
"interesting place to visit"
in 27 reviews
in 15 reviews
"great displays"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2018

A Great place whilst visting the Capital a short tour of the mint just perfect fit it in before lunch the cafe did not have much on offer for lunch

1  Thank Sonja H
Royal_Aust_Mint, Public Relations Manager at Royal Australian Mint, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Thanks for visiting!

Reviewed 5 April 2018

On our family trip to Canberra, the Royal Australian Mint is a must stop for people of all ages. There is so much history from 1788 to present of every coin type of coin printed in Australia as well as those brought by early settlements. It's great seeing the stamping ground of the RAM employees. To top it all off, you can use the old presses and get your very own collectable coin (for a negligible fee). Definitely recommend!

Thanks for visiting. Yes, we have a lot of history, but the workers you saw (and many others behind the scenes) are ensuring that our story has new chapters are being written every day. You’ll be welcome back to experience the new stories in the future.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Whenever I have friends coming from interstate or abroad, I always take them to the Mint. A few days ago over Easter I did exactly that for my Japanese friends. They loved seeing the robots in action, striking their own coins, and sitting down for a coffee. There's always something to do, and many things to buy in the shop. I will keep bringing my friends here, thank you!!

And thank YOU for being such a passionate Mint ambassador! We’re always looking for new ways to share the story of Australia’s coins with visitors, and will be sure to have something new next time you have friends in town.

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Had a great time even though there wasn't any production just about to walk around and see the machinery that's used was in real eye opener and the museum was incredible a lot of history about Australian currency and even though I might be a large collective myself I still learnt a great deal of knowledge and I'm definitely going to go back when I have a bit more time I didn't want to make my friends hang around there for hours while I read everything but I will definitely be making another trip back

Thanks for the review. There is certainly a special extra touch when you can see the factory in operation, but just remember that our multimedia touchscreens can show you all of the different parts of coin-making up close. Oh, and don’t be shy about bringing non-collecting friends with you. Even if they aren’t as passionate as you (yet!), we can guarantee that coins have been a part of their lives. This is something we always love to celebrate in our exhibitions.