1,288 results
All reviews parliament house priority guest buffet breakfast free wifi manuka shops indoor pool full buffet hotel restaurant national gallery undercover parking spacious room short drive capital questacon sauna exhibition foyer
Reviewed 23 June 2016

It has been a few years since we last stayed here and our two nights here were very comfortable. The reception staff were very professional and welcoming, although they neglected to add the free drink to our loyalty card as they said they would. This was quickly rectified but was still a bit inconvenient when the drinks had already been ordered at the bar.

Our room was very comfortable and quiet, even with a wedding happening downstairs one night (our room overlooked the function). The bed was exceptionally comfortable, the free wifi worked well and the bathroom amenities were lovely. The only downside was that our room still had been serviced at 2:30pm when we returned for an afternoon rest on the second day. The housekeeping manager handed us fresh towels etc but we would have very much preferred they'd attended to the room while we were out.

In spit of the above, we'd definitely stay here again.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
K_Tomas, Director of Sales at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2016

Dear Jennie K,

Thank you for your feedback and by all accounts, it seems that you enjoyed your two night stay with us.

It was a shame that we missed the mark on providing you with your PGR drinks and that your room was not serviced before you returned, we do try to have all rooms serviced before 4:00pm but depending on how busy the hotel was will determine when the rooms can get cleaned.

We look froward to having you stay with us again the next time that you are in Canberra.

Reviewed 23 June 2016

Arrived with another 2 couples and were immediately upgraded to Executive room (worth being a Priority Guest Rewards Member ) Hotel is an older style Hotel but has been renovated with new furniture and carpet. Room had sunshine all morning and early afternoon and on a cool winters day was a pleasant place to enjoy a coffee and a read.Breakfast was standard fare some items were not as hot as they should have been but a good start to the day. Staff were friendly with special mention to the check in staff on Sat 11/06 ( didn't get their names but were most helpful ) Only fault was that the Restaurant wasn't open on the Sunday night.

Dear Keith B,

Thank you so much for providing such wonderful feedback from your stay with us last month. It it always nice to read when guests have enjoyed their room, the service provided by the hotel staff and the location and attractions in the local area.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel the next time that you visit Canberra.

Reviewed 21 June 2016

I stayed in room 244 and it was the worst nights sleep I have ever had.

The aircon is set so high that the room was swelteringly hot. I tried turning turning it down as well as off but this made no difference at all.

To make matters worse, there was a thick doona as well!

Twice I got up to take a cold shower I was so sweaty.

Next morning I tried to complain at reception, but it was as if they could not care less. I expected at least an apology, or a refund, but I got neither.

Answer was "I will tell someone."

I expected much more from a respected chain.

I will not be staying there again on business trips to Canberra.

Room tip: Dont bother
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear Robby9999,

It was disappointing to receive your review from your stay and I am sorry that you felt that the person you spoke with to advise that your room was too hot did not care.

Your feedback was raised with the Front Office Manager who had our maintenance team check the heating in your room to see what the issue may have been as we had not received any other feedback regarding the heating.

Regardless, your complaint should have been acknowledged by the staff that you spoke with and empathy shown for the uncomfortable nights sleep that you experienced. For this I do apologise.

Regards

Reviewed 20 June 2016

I stayed at Rydges Capital Hill for business purposes for 2 nights recently and left feeling very underwhelmed. The room I stayed in was poorly appointed and certainly not of a good standard. Bathrooms are of a normal size, old style shower heads and basic amenities. Hair dryers are attached to the wall. The room itself was basic - air conditioning is a the very old fashioned ducted variety and blew cold. Beds were very comfortable and not too soft. The food itself was of a high quality - the service very poor. I would not recommend this hotel until it underwent a serious upgrade - there were remnants of the 1980's about the hotel.

• Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear jen282015,

Thank you for your feedback and it was a shame to read that you left the hotel feeling underwhelmed. We try our best to offer good service and a comfortable hotel for all guests during their stay.

The accommodation rooms may not be the most modern on offer in Canberra and while some of our rooms still have the older bathrooms, we have commenced a full refurbishment of the bathrooms to make them fresh and modern.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the quality of the food serviced but sorry to hear that the service let us down.

Thank you again for the feedback.

Regards

Reviewed 19 June 2016

We stayed 3 nights after securing an excellent rate through a Travelzoo deal which made the break great value for money. Found the hotel clean, modern, relaxing. Our room was spacious. Really loved the surrounding area of Manuka and Kingston. The location was great in terms of being close to attractions, Kingston Foreshore and Fyshwick. Can't comment on practicality with public transport as we had our own car.
A hotel with free, unrestricted Wi-Fi rates highly in my books and this hotel offers that.
My only minor comment would be that staff need to be kept more abreast of marketing and deals the hotel advertises. For example, the 'happy hour deal' posters dotted around the hotel stated free nibblies/food during happy hour - which never eventuated. Another example is that the deal we got included a welcome drink per person but the receptionist initially insisted it was only one drink for me because I was a Priority Guest - until I showed her the brochure.
Otherwise a great stay and will definitely frequent this establishment again.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
K_Tomas, Director of Sales at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2016

Dear Letherill,

Thank you so much for your feedback from your stay and it was great to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and the spacious rooms offered.

We will certainly ensure that the staff are aware of the deals being offered in the market to ensure that guests receive any value adds being offered.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel the next time you are planning a trip to Canberra.