All reviews boffins restaurant australian national university fellows bar third floor chest of drawers a superior queen room small balcony separate bedroom central courtyard lake burley griffin a great place to stay electric blankets excellent breakfast shower over the bath rooms are spacious old world charm visiting canberra
Reviewed 2 December 2015

I highly recommend University House hotel, and after a particularly impressive experience with the manager of the hotel I am further impressed by the high standard of professionalism and consideration of guests needs.

I always love staying here because of the unique feel and look of the beautiful architecture of University House, and i just adore the style of the rooms that matches the the hotel building and grounds. It's like stepping back in time and I love that feel.

What is more impressive though is the good quality customer service and we were left with very good impressions of a well run establishment and can highly recommend staying at University House.

We will definitely return on our yearly (or so) trips to Canberra and will (and have) recommend(ed) University House to family and friends. University house is a quality hotel and we feel it's one of the best we have ever stayed in.

Room tip: We were upgraded to a room with a balcony with a beautiful view and will choose this room again when we stay here next time.
Date of stay: December 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bronwyn M
Reviewed 24 November 2015 via mobile

This was the second hotel I went to in australia. Unlike the first one this place was not only beautiful on the outside but also on the inside. There was a beautiful view off the porch and a great path to walk along into the city. I was very sad when we had to leave.

Date of stay: November 2015
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 22 November 2015

How cool waking up at the best uni in Australia, and not having a HECS debt or a guilty conscious. If you ever feel like going back to school, this is the way to do it. It's like 21 Jump Street. It will also remind you of the the fact that Canberra is the Australian capital, like Brasilia is to Brazil and Naypyidaw is to Myanmar.

Date of stay: February 2015
1  Thank shinraemonsam
Reviewed 20 November 2015

This place is my favorite place to rest, relax and get together with friends. Close to university and down town but not crowded, University house is the best place to take a breath after long hour work or study. The food is good. if you have extra money, go for the Boffin.
During summer, there will be music performance. Spring season, you will see couple start their new live and engage here.

Date of stay: June 2015
1  Thank andfitri
Reviewed 16 November 2015

I am a long term admirer of University House and my last perhaps nostalgic review graded it excellent, but I think it is time I dropped my grading and they looked at upgrading themselves. The overall ambience is good and location convenient, but the rooms and their minimal furnishing deserve cheering up with a few gestures to greater comfort and decor. Worst aspect is undoubtedly the downstairs cafe which seems to be in terminal decline and needs a serious review. Shabby service, leaving tables uncleared in the mornings; and grim evening eating options in a depressing atmosphere. Aspects of lunch a bit ordinary too, though its popularity with university staff probably keep its lunch and bar more buoyant. Maybe University House is putting its emphasis on conference and special event catering and its upmarket retaurant Boffins and letting the cafe fall below the standards even students expect. It used to be the place you would encounter some of e great minds in Australia: give them a bit of succour! Also, given its location on ANU campus it would be good if reception could offer the proper campus map which is readily stocked in the library.

Room tip: People with heavy suitcases need to be aware of the steps up one or two levels to rooms.
Date of stay: October 2015