All reviews boffins restaurant australian national university fellows bar north wing third floor chest of drawers a superior queen room small balcony separate bedroom a great place to stay lake burley griffin electric blankets shower over the bath city centre rooms are spacious old world charm visiting canberra
Reviewed 17 October 2012

I have tried to stay at University House many times on my trips to Canberra, but I have always been unsuccessful in obtaining a booking. I now see why. I have a lovely room in the north wing D 339 to be exact. It has a large light filled sitting room with windows overlooking the green university grounds. The full length balcony is perfect for sitting out on the lovely spring days you get in Canberra. The bedroom is smallish but adequate and the bed one of the most comfortable that I have slept in for a long time. I don't generally sleep well but I fell into a deep sleep in this one. Boffins restaurant has a small but very interesting menu and the prices are very reasonable at around the $30 for a main course. Breakfast is of course included in the tariff and is buffet style, but exceeds the quality of many I have had in hotels said to be more exclusive than UH. I can only say possitive things about University House which compared to the hotels situated along Northbourne avenue is much better value.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Stewart B
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Always stay here when in Canberra. Love the authentic beautifully maintained retro 1950's furniture. So convenient to the city and ANU. Will continue to stay here in the years to come. The double, twin and apartment rooms are all equally good. Can't fault it. Sometimes the booking system is a bit confusing - but ring and ask for availability as it can change daily. In all...A great 1950's academic retreat.

Room Tip: Ring and ask for daily updates as rooms become available due to cancellations. Corner apartment rooms are very good for families. There are stairs (no lifts) to the top floors, but they are easy to manage. Plenty of ground floor rooms if stairs are a problem.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank junetravellers
Reviewed 20 September 2012

If you are looking for a really modern Hotel then this is not it. The decor is dated but really fits in well with the atmosphere, it is also in beautiful condition, our room was squeeky clean. My husband out of curosity checked the top of the wardrobe and no dust to be found. I loved the heated floor in the bathroom and our cute little balcony, the weather was lovely for Canberra but after all it is only just Spring, when the weather is a little hotter it will be nice to have a drink and look at the lovely garden.
The beds were really comfortable, I found the pillow a little hard and the spare was the same, however after taking the very snug pillowcase off and laying it over the top of the pillow it was just right, I am sure if I had called reception they would have sorted it out but I was happy with my solution.
We had dinner in the Restaurant and Breakfast in another the next day and the standard was good, only complaint with Breakfast was the scrambled eggs ran out and there had not been replaced by the time we were ready to leave, am sure this was an oversight.
Next trip to Canberra we will again stay at University House. I forgot on our way out we discovered a possum curled up in the overhead Wisteria very comfortable and not in the least distrubed by our curosity.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room facing into the courtyard and I believe there is live outdoor music starting in the warmer weather in October, we think we might return then.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We stayed for ten days in a north-facing superior queen suite.

We chose University House because we wanted something different from a chain hotel.

Our room was on the third floor. (This could be a problem for some as there are no lifts and the stairwells are narrow.) It had a lovely little balcony with views over the university campus. The room was very clean.

The sitting room was large, and the retro-styled furniture looked lovely. While the sofa and chairs were comfortable enough to sit on, they certainly weren’t made for lounging. The television was too small for its position high on a cupboard at the end of the room and I couldn’t read the subtitles from the sofa. There was a good sized desk.

The bedroom was on the small side and the bed only just fitted in. But it was nice to have to have a separate room. There was plenty of hanging space. Our bed could have been more comfortable and queen is the biggest sized bed they have at University House. The pillows were all very hard and we should have asked for them to be changed. In keeping with the retro theme, the blankets were wool. I only use wool blankets at home, but these were scratchy and didn’t have satin binding. There bed also had an electric blanket.

The bathroom was lovely with underfloor heating. Toiletries were limited to a combination handwash / shampoo in a wall-mounted dispenser, but it was good quality with a beautiful clean smell.

We were in Canberra for the coldest time of year, but we were always warm in our room.

Breakfast wasn’t included in our room rate, but we did have some good meals from Fellows Cafe. They will let you take china and trays back to your room if you ask. We also had an excellent meal at Boffins (fine dining).

University House is well-situated for sightseeing in Canberra. It’s on two bus routes (3 and 7), and only a couple of minutes from the CBD. We used the buses to get to all Canberra’s major attractions during the day. We even caught the bus home after a night at the theatre – door to door.

The hotel itself is close to three attractions well worth a visit. The National Film and Sound Archives with its beautiful art deco theatre is a five-minute walk and general admission films are shown on most days ($11.00 for adults). The National Museum of Australia is a fifteen-minute walk (or a two-minute bus ride). The National Botanic Gardens are a fifteen-minute walk on the other side of the campus.

We were happy to stay at University House and would stay there again.

Pluses: quiet and peaceful, great location, on two bus routes. Separate sitting room, excellent cafe and restaurant. Reasonable tariff. Very clean. Lovely grounds.
Minuses: no lift, small bedroom, no room service.

If you like a hotel that is different from the standard chain offering, you will like University House. The room rate ($154.00 per night). Queen sized bed aside, we were very happy.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erica6536
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Comfortable couple of nights spent here, enjoyed the included breakfast in the ANU student bar/restaurant, and especially enjoyed the quiz night on Tuesday - we joined up with a table and managed to win! Food and drinks very reasonably price too! Would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business