“My favourite in Canberra”
Review of University House

University House
Ranked #32 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I love University House. the renovated rooms are clean conformable spacious and straight out of the 50s, but new. When you first walk into the room you think "this is a funny old room" and then you start to realise that it is a funny new old room. I am amazed that they could re-furbish a 50s room so thoroughly without changing its character at all. The whole hotel is a really excellent piece of design and architecture. It is very very calm, serenely set in particularly leafy and quiet bit of the Australian National University. The breakfast is excellent value - I think it is $15 for a full hot and cold spread (that a normal hotel would probably ask 20 or 25 for).

I have stayed in some of the un-furbished rooms as well and they are not as special nor as good value overall. The un-renovated 'family' rooms are a cheap option if you are sharing as it you get 2 separate bedrooms but you wouldn't want to spend too much time hanging around in your room. I once stayed in a single room with outside facilities and I thought that just too rough - the room wasn't very clean, the bed was old and too short and communal bathroom was pretty rough. I think that was $90 versus $160 for a renovated suite, but it was all that was available that night. The renovated rooms are worth the money though. A family of 4, or even 5, could happily live in a 2 bedroom suite for a protracted period of time.

It is a short pleasant walk into civic from the hotel, or an even shorter one to the Uni Bar.

Room Tip: The re-furbished rooms are worth the extra money
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank blindjoe

Reviewed 25 February 2012

This is my second visit to University House. I like the memories it brings of university, the large rooms, the lovely lawn and shady trees, and the convenience to the city and the lake. The breakfasts are pretty good.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Luckenbooth
Reviewed 18 January 2012

My wife and I stayed here in a Queen Superior Suite in Jan 2012. The accomodation was very good, if somewhat dated. The location is excellent and was keenly priced. Breakfast in the Cafe Bar was also good value. Would certainly go back.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank John T
Reviewed 9 January 2012

An excellent affordable option for singles, couples and families alike. Harks back to the 1950's but that just adds to the charm. Very peaceful, well located and good range of breakfast options in the buffett. We will be back!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank laksatwist
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Having read the reviews, I was expecting University House to be retro in its decor, with good bathrooms, no lifts and a pleasant central grassy area. It was all of those. I was also expecting it to be quiet and appealing. Sadly, it was neither.

I had asked for a quiet room when I rang and booked, instead we were put in a room close to the gate and facing out onto the carpark, and it was anything but quiet. Not only was there an extremely rowdy group of people gathered around the gate, smoking, on our first night, we could also hear people clattering up and down the stairs and we had to jam a suitcase against our front door in order to stop it rattling every time a door slammed anywhere up the stairwell. Added to that, the room smelled old and there was long black hair tangled through the plastic mat in the bathroom.

The next morning, we asked for another, quiet room for our second night. It turned out to be further away from the gate, but still facing out onto the carpark. The bathroom looked as though it had been cleaned but it smelled awful, and I could hear the person in the room above us getting in and out of bed and going out onto their balcony in the middle of the night.

The only reason I am rating University House as “Poor” instead of “Terrible” is because they did at least shift us into another room on request, although the woman at the counter seemed initially reluctant to do so.

Thankfully, we had a wonderful day sightseeing in Canberra to make up for our disappointing stay at University House.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple