All reviews boffins restaurant australian national university fellows bar third floor chest of drawers a superior queen room small balcony separate bedroom central courtyard lake burley griffin a great place to stay electric blankets excellent breakfast shower over the bath rooms are spacious old world charm visiting canberra
Reviewed 22 April 2011

I was visiting ANU so this was the natural choice for my lodging. I was hoping the rooms weren't as old as they sounded on here, but they were. I had a small twin bed and the bed cover had stains on it (it was clean, but stained). I really felt like I had been transported back in time: everything was wooden, old, and kind of depressing. If you are going in the summer, make sure you get a room with air conditioning (mine did). The shower was excellent, however, with great water pressure. Also, I was on the third floor and NO LIFTS. I had to drag my very heavy suitcases (I was on the way from another location, so had 2 20kg suitcases) all the way upstairs. My key often didn't work, requiring me to go back downstairs to the office for new keys several times.

On the plus side, the grounds are gorgeous, quiet and tranquil. The breakfast buffet was excellent (including in my rate). It's not really that close to town, but if you are visiting ANU, this is a great place to be. Otherwise, you probably want to look elsewhere.

Date of stay: January 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank everglades_gal
Reviewed 29 March 2011

This is not for everyone but it will suit anyone understanding that this is a spacious refurbished student accommodation complex of quite elegant 1950s design. A tranquil garden with beautiful trees and pond occupies the central quadrangle which is surrounded by the accommodation buildings on three sides and the conference/administration/library and restaurants on the fourth side. There are two first class eating establishments Fellows (cafe/bar) and Boffins within.

The location is convenient to the city, the lake, the National Gallery and obviously the university all within walking distance. We walked across to the National Portrait gallery in about 45 minutes following the bike trails to escape the traffic which is surprisingly heavy on the main roads.

The main disadvantage is that there are no lifts so you need to be able to lug your suitcases up to the third level if you score a room there.

The price is probably a bit high but everything is dear in Canberra. It was better through Wotif.com

Date of stay: March 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank johncamp
Reviewed 23 February 2011

This is a lovely peaceful spot to stay in Canberra. It used to be home to academics in the 1950's, and the rooms are preserved in the decor of the time. They are big and comfortable, most with little balconies and set around glorious gardens with large trees, benches, birds, a paved colonnade with a large fishpond alongside. We stayed in a double room but family members stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment which was huge - its own large kitchen, dining and lounge rooms. Buses from outside the door go to most of the Canberra sites. It's a bargain for the city - and has the added attraction of Boffins restaurant, where you can have a first class meal, and another large cafe and bar, Fellows. After a long day of sightseeing, it was lovely to sit under the trees and enjoy a drink. Only possible complaint would be I don't think there were any lifts in any of the buildings.

Date of stay: February 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank boatie68
Reviewed 17 February 2011

For some reason I thought this was going to be like staying in student digs. However, the rooms turned out to be bright and clean and quite large. I paid £60 for a room with shared bath and for some reason got upgraded to an en suite room (they must have been short of guests). Check in staff were helpful and pleasant. The setting was quiet and pretty in the University grounds within walking distance of the city. The only downside was that the room I was in had no aircon (I'm not sure whether this applies to all rooms) and Canberra was suffering a heatwave at the time! I just about slept okay with the fan on.

Date of stay: February 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank tfcfan
Reviewed 5 January 2011

University House is a great place to stay in Canberra. And I thought it was a bargain - a 2 bedroom spacious apartment for 2 adults and 2 children at $190 per night including a full buffet breakfast. I'd like to find that in other cities. This also included parking and the apartment was serviced daily. University House is set in pleasant gardens, and we had a nice little balcony with a view. Sure the rooms aren't super modern, but they are super clean, functional and have lovely pieces of solid wooden 1950s (I guess) quality furniture. Dining options are specifically aimed at adults, but the staff at Boffins happily cooked up plain dishes for our children. There are also reasonably priced meals at the bar.

Date of stay: December 2010