“A wonderful history of our country”

National Museum of Australia
Canberra Day Trip from Sydney
Ranked #19 of 209 things to do in Canberra
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Discover where Australia’s stories come alive at the National Museum of Australia. Located on the shores of Lake Burley Griffin, the Museum’s stunning architecture offers visitors an extraordinary place to explore the rich and diverse stories of Australia and its people. Take a guided tour through the Museum’s many exhibitions (fees apply). The Museum’s expert Visitor Services Hosts will bring stories to life and reveal the history behind the objects on display.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Stairs / lift, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Our country's history displayed beautifully, nothing but positive things to say. Well laid out, plenty of historic Australiana, the simple way we used to live.

1  Thank paulcP1050AP
Write a ReviewReviews (1,723)
All reviews
in 163 reviews
"circa"
in 50 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2018

I agree with a previous reviewer about the confusing layout, in fact, we walked all the way along 1 side ( and it is a very big place) as we missed the entrance. All was nothing until I tried to find the exit after a fascinating 2 hours, and that took about 20 minutes.
I'm now at the age when I find museums exhausting and feel I've nothing to prove by persevering, so I'd expected to adjourn to the cafe after giving it a go for an hour, but I found some of the galleries really interesting, and ended up with not enough time for the cafe or the gift shop!!
A factor in this was that we'd had to decide how to long to stay in order to pay for the parking, so we paid for 2 hours. It would be better to pay for parking when leaving, as it's impossible to guess how long you might want to stay.
I particularly liked the Indigenous Peoples' gallery and the somewhat eclectic gallery on an upper level (name escapes me) with a variety of exhibits, including Yvonne Goolagong's tennis racket, which was just like the one I had back in the 60's, and a display of glass eyes.
I had started at the top and was descending as I went, so I thought the cafe and exit would be on the ground floor. There were no signs for the exit so I had a self-guided tour of the children's play area and the outside map area amongst others, finally resorting to asking 4 people. One of them was also looking for the exit, one was about to summon a staff lift but who was only a guest, a helpful man who suggested the exit was not actually on that level and I'd be best to go upwards and then down again on the other side, and finally a real-life attendant who told me to tag along with a school outing as they were definitely leaving. So, no time for a coffee, but this museum sticks in the memory. I'll leave more time when I go back.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Don't miss this museum - themed galleries tell some great stories and there are lots of interesting objects to see - the Indigenous Gallery is not as impressive as the one at the Melbourne Museum (which you must see if you are in Melbourne at the Melbourne Museum) but still worth a visit.

1  Thank melbourne-vic
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I and some friends took in the Cartier Exhibit, at the National Museum of Australia, the day after it opened.

Free underground parking was readily available. There were no queues to buy tickets and the exhibition, itself, was nicely laid out.

My only complaint would be that I would have liked to have known more details about each of the pieces in the exhibition, such as were they commissioned for a particular events, at which events were they worn and by whom, etc. However I am not sure how much control the National Museum had over what information was made available about the jewels and trinkets on display.

As always, I was impressed with the gift shop in the Museum. It a a great source of fun and unique gifts for every imaginable occasion.