1,964 results
All reviews loft room war memorial courtyard restaurant mercure hotel old world charm city centre bottle shop open fire an upgrade reception area plenty of parking the ground floor buffet breakfast reception staff king bed free parking parliament house
Reviewed 12 January 2016

I purchased a one night deal through Scoopon to stay at this hotel and for the price it was great. Hotel itself was nice, the courtyard I was amazed with. It was nice opening up our balcony to see such a beautiful garden. The room was an upgrade and was very spacious. Only bad thing was the toilet made weird hissing noises all night long. Hotel was close to the war memorial, however would recommend having a car to get around more easily and take advantage of the complementary parking.

Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank J5076YWamym
Patina F, General Manager at mecure Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2016

Dear Amy M,

thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I'm delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay. We are very lucky to have such an amazing courtyard, and whilst we are only a 10 minute walk from the center of Canberra you could be fooled into thinking you were miles away from the hustle and bustle.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 11 January 2016 via mobile

Stayed a nite and found it to be relaxing and very easy.
The food in the bistro is good and the buffet breakfast keeps you going for the day. They even have a bottle shop on the premises with grog at the right price.
Good place to stay with no hassles or worries.

Date of stay: January 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Rob C,

thank you for letting us know about your stay. I'm pleased to see that you had a great stay with us and enjoyed the dining also.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed 8 January 2016

Our room was fantastic value for money. All I was expecting was a place to rest my head for one night. The rate was cheap but the website said it had 'old world charm' so I expected a room with grimy windows, ancient plumbing and a rattly old air conditioner. Instead we had a spacious room with two very comfortable queen-sized beds. The bathroom was properly renovated and the shower was great. I loved the fact that I could open the clean window to inhale the fresh Canberra air. We stayed in a 'standard' room which is in the heritage section of the hotel.

My mother was delighted that breakfast started at 6:30am. We were the only guests having breakfast at that time. We then wandered around the public areas of the hotel with our cameras.

Unusually for a branded hotel it is anything but bland. The hotel was built in the mid 1920s for the first sitting of Federal Parliament in Canberra. Fortunately much of the original design details have been retained. The original plans of the hotel are on the walls as well as photos relating to the history of the hotel. There is an old radio and what looks like a small phone exchange in one of the lounge areas. There are no labels on these items so I don't know if they are original items from the hotel's early days or anything much about them.

While exploring the hotel we found a couple of aquariums with cards to help people identify the fish. It would be a good hotel for a family to stay in as it has a coin operated laundry. The grounds are spacious and the gardens beautiful. We appreciated the free carparking.

Another unusual feature of the hotel was the fact that the room comes with a book that recounts the history of the hotel. It is a good read with lots of photos and ideally suited for people to read snippets. I have written a review of the history of the hotel on my blog, Stumbling Through the Past.

As we left Canberra my mother and I agreed that we had not stayed long enough at the hotel. We are hoping to come back again.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank perkinsy
Patina F, General Manager at mecure Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2016

Dear perkinsy,

thank you for your great feedback. I'm delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and had an opportunity to enjoy the amazing history of our hotel. We are very lucky that our owners have maintained the charm and history of the hotel, and that they have taken the time to display the history around the hotel, and in the book in the room.

We look forward to showing you more of our fascinating history when you return.

Sincerely

Reviewed 8 January 2016

We have stayed at this hotel a few times now and it is consistently good!

The rooms are clean and modern and the staff are always happy to help.
The buffet breakfast is very nice here and an easy option before you head off to
the city. We also love the location of this hotel and its walkable proximity to the
shopping area.

I got coffee one morning from the barista downstairs and she was so upbeat and lovely. She even got her colleagues to bring my two kids free babycinos to the room since I didn't have enough hands to carry everything!

I don't think we would ever stay somewhere else in Canberra. This place is just too good to pass up, especially for the price and customer service!

Room tip: rooms on higher levels have less noise.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Narniak

Dear Narniak,

what a great review, thank you! I am so pleased to see that you continue to have great stays with us. Our staff really do set us apart and I will ensure that I pass your comments onto them.

We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Canberra.

Reviewed 6 January 2016 via mobile

Room was oldy worldly, large and clean. Great pub on site, good feed well priced. Only issue was breakfast, the poor girls working were overwhelmed by number of guests. We had our outside table stolen whilst attending the buffet by a couple of "trendy" gents that appeared to be there for coffee only. Overall, a good stay.. Walking distance to war memorial

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank CJHLPH
Patina F, General Manager at mecure Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2016

Dear CJHLPH,

thank you for letting us know about your stay. I'm sorry to hear about your table at breakfast. We were a little surprised by the number of last minute bookings and you are right, we were not ready for the number of people that came for breakfast. It's certainly something we have learnt from and will be better prepared in the future.

We do look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Canberra.