Lowest prices for your stay
CrownePlaza.com
USD 127
Free cancellation until 23/01/22
Reserve now, pay at stay
USD 123
Free cancellation until 23/01/22
FindHotel
USD 120
Hotels.comUSD 123
PricelineUSD 128
Booking.comUSD 128
1,849 results
All reviews glebe park park view redsalt restaurant red salt two double beds car park room service outdoor pool buffet breakfast bit dated central location an upgrade per day war memorial mini bar shopping centre binara
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 October 2021

We have stayed here on numerous occasions on our visits to Canberra.
The rooms are comfortable in an hotel that has been in Canberra for quite some time. It is well-maintained in spite of this. Even with COVID-19 restrictions we were able to eat in the restaurant albeit not with the same freedom previously.
Room facilities are good although the plumbing probably needs a little bit of upgrading.
However, still one of the most cost-effective hotels to stay in Canberra

Date of stay: April 2021
1  Thank WellTravelledAussie2
Alex West, Owner at Crowne Plaza Canberra, an IHG hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2021

Thankyou kindly for your feedback and we are glad that you had a cost-effective experience with us once again. We pride ourselves on delivering our IHG Way of Clean throughout the covid-19 pandemic and will continue to do so moving forward. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Best wishes, Crowne Plaza Team

Reviewed 8 August 2021

Yes these are difficult times. However no matter who people are- be they the airline

pilot or the tradesman needing a take away coffee- courtesy and respect should

be given at all times by the reception/concierge staff.

Why can not we be kind to one another ???

Date of stay: August 2021

We sincerely apologise that you had a poor experience with us and hope that any upcoming visits are received in a different manor. Please highlight these prior experiences upon your return to Crowne Plaza and the team will be able to offer you a complimentary upgrade or amenity as a token of appreciation for revisiting us,
Kind Regards, Crowne Plaza Team

Reviewed 3 July 2021

The Crowne Plaza Canberra has been my hotel of choice in Canberra for twenty years. After a four year hiatus I was once again back in the capital and didn't even think twice before I went ahead and booked the Crowne. As always, it was a great choice and I had a wonderful stay! I booked a two night stay for Friday and Saturday night in the entry-level Superior Room with a king bed at a cost of $173/night

I arrived on Friday afternoon at what was evidently a busy time judging by the number of people at the front desk. Nonetheless the check-in experience for me was very positive, with a warm welcome from the receptionist and a quick run-through of the hotel facilities. As an IHG Rewards Gold Elite member I was very thankful to be given a complimentary welcome drink voucher as well as a complimentary upgrade to a Deluxe Park View room; it's always nice to receive some perks for loyalty!

My room on the 4th floor was nice, clean and tidy. There was a full-size desk as you would expect from a business hotel, a huge king bed facing the window, a lounge by the window, a large TV with free-to-air and local cable channels, a fridge (the usual minibar contents were missing due to pandemic-related changes, however you could request any of the usual items from the front desk if needed), tea/coffee facilities, in-room safe and plenty of closet space. I had a nice view of the park which was great during the day, however a bit boring after dark when the lack of light outside meant there wasn't much to see. The bathroom was also clean and tidy with plenty of towels and a combined shower/bath. There were plenty of power points in the room and the free Wi-Fi was quick and reliable. Overall the rooms at the hotel are certainly clean and functional but they are getting very tired, especially the bathrooms. There have been small changes to the soft product but the rooms have largely looked the same for a decade or longer now, and although I used to think they were cutting edge the first time I saw them they are starting to look very dated now. As one of the premier international brands in Canberra, hopefully in the coming years as the travel industry recovers the hotel will look at a more significant refurbishment of the rooms to bring them up to current standards, hopefully starting with the bathrooms as the combined shower/bath is a bit small and old school!

One of the highlights of my stay was the breakfast buffet at Redsalt, which I had on my first morning at the hotel. In addition to 24-hour room service, the hotel's Redsalt restaurant is open for buffet breakfast and a la carte dinner. At the moment as a pandemic-related change they have switched from self-serve to a serviced buffet, where you still get to walk up to the buffet but the chefs and restaurant staff take care of serving your plate for you. Breakfast wasn't included in my rate but at a cost of $25/person I thought it was excellent value! I got to the restaurant early at around 7am on a Saturday morning so it was pretty quiet and I didn't need to spend any time queueing, but I could see that the buffet area was well set out with an efficient, orderly queuing system to help during rush hour and the buffet broken down into two distinct service areas; a hot food section and a cold section where they had cereals, fruits, yoghurts, juices, bakery items etc. The hot buffet included sausages, eggs, hash browns, potato gems, roast potatoes, bacon and more. In addition to the hot items on the buffet line you could also order eggs cooked to order, they had little order cards at the buffet that you could fill out and the staff would bring it directly to your table from the kitchen. I ordered an omelette with the works and it was excellent. The cold selection was extensive and very well managed, with some items pre-plated so they could just hand it to you and glasses of juice pre-poured and ready to go. Barista coffee is also included, with the staff taking your order as you arrive and bringing it to your table. The food and drinks were great but what made it really special was the service; the staff were so genuinely friendly and happy to help! Plates were cleared with rapid speed and as soon as I finished my flat white a waitress was already at the table asking if I would like another, and I couldn't say no! They also had copies of the newspaper at the front for guests to pick up and read over breakfast and it made for such a nice, relaxing morning and a great way to start the day. There are often package deals with breakfast included but even if you're paying for it outright it is great value, and I would highly recommend it!

The hotel's bar, Binara One is only open on Friday and Saturday evenings at the moment. I visited on Friday night to make use of my complimentary drink voucher and was expecting it would be quiet but even I was surprised by how quiet it was; it was completely empty! The bartender was nice and I enjoyed my complimentary beer while watching the footy but it was sad to see it so empty. They had a great range of drinks including lots of local craft beers and a decent menu of light snacks so I'd definitely recommend it for a quick drink to begin your evening!

The hotel's outdoor pool is understandably closed during the cold months, as it is far too cold to be going for a swim! The gym is open 24/7 and is much larger than your average hotel gym, with plenty of equipment. Although I prefer to go for a walk around town when travelling I do like to stop by the gym to fill up my water bottle with cold filtered water, however unfortunately despite spending a few minutes walking around the gym looking for it I couldn't find the water cooler! It's quite possible I missed it but if they don't have one it would certainly be worth adding.

On previous visits I've always driven and parked at the hotel, however on this trip I didn't have a car and when I found out the current parking situation I was glad that was the case! During check-in on Friday I heard the receptionist telling other guests that the on-site underground secure carpark was already full, was expected to remain full for the rest of the weekend and they were providing directions to alternative public off-site carparks which were some distance from the hotel. They were promoting the fact that the offsite carpark is much cheaper at $6 on the weekend compared to $26 for the hotel carpark but as I heard an older guest rightly point out, it's not about the money but about the convenience and security of having your car right there without having to walk. On previous trips I've certainly found the carpark fills up and occasionally I've had to park in the small outdoor carpark on the hotel driveway but it has never been so bad that we've had to go offsite, so I'm not sure if there's some construction work or something underground which is limiting space or if they were just way busier than usual. Of course I don't expect them to create more space out of thin air but I tend to agree that if the onsite carpark is frequently full then perhaps they should offer a valet service for the same/similar cost to park offsite. It's not really fair, especially for older guests or those with mobility issues to have to walk especially in the cold Canberra winter. Although I wasn't affected at all it would be good to see the hotel address this for the benefit of guests with a car.

In terms of the surrounding area, the hotel has a good location with the large Canberra Centre shopping and dining precinct being just a two minute walk up Bunda Street. Here you will find all the major brands and lots of excellent restaurants, bars and entertainment options. If you walk a little further beyond the Canberra Centre precinct you can reach London Circuit or Northbourne Avenue where you can catch the light rail, alternatively taxis and rideshare options are readily available and if you like, you can even rent a bike directly outside the hotel and ride around town! On Saturday night I had dinner at Temporada, which was a leisurely 10-15 minute walk from the hotel. The restaurant is quite popular in Canberra and offers a set menu of 10 courses for $90 with optional wine pairing. You can dine either at the bar or at a table and I think it is really innovative and excellent value for money! Another favourite which I didn't have a chance to visit this time but highly recommend is Sammy's Kitchen at Canberra Centre, which offers great Chinese and Malaysian food and is also a popular Canberra institution. Overall the location is convenient and feels safe at any time of day, although definitely take your jacket with you during winter as Canberra can get chilly!

I was leaving Canberra on a late Sunday afternoon flight so stopped by the front desk on Saturday night to see if I could arrange a late check-out. The receptionist initially said they were happy to and the cost was $40, however once I provided my room number and mentioned my IHG Rewards status she was very happy to provide me with a 2pm late check-out, which was greatly appreciated. I ended up leaving the hotel a little after 1pm and had an efficient check-out experience.

All in all it was another great stay at the Crowne Plaza Canberra. The staff are a great asset to the hotel, they made me feel very welcome and I really appreciated the upgrade and complimentary drink provided as loyalty benefits. The highlight by far was the breakfast and I would definitely recommend you try it. I'll certainly return to the Crowne Plaza the next time I'm in Canberra, and with a bit of luck hopefully the rooms will have had a refresh by then!

Date of stay: May 2021
1  Thank Stephen R
Reviewed 28 June 2021

4.5/5. Saw some of the earlier negative reviews, but admittedly my experience here was really quite pleasant. Admittedly it's a very standard Crowne Plaza - more business-y and not exactly "special", but what it does, it does very well.
- location: very good, near restaurants, mall, cafes in the main Canberra city. Didn't go to the next door casino
- room: I was given a large room that had a good view of the outside grounds. All the amenities are there, except for a pen, which someone from guest services brought one for me quickly after I asked for me. Room is kept clean, though the bathroom is just a tad old, but no issues. Oh, the bathtub is very much appreciated - less and less hotels have bathtubs nowadays.
- breakfast: surprisingly good! The eggs benedict I had was surprisingly tasty, considering most hotel breakfasts tend to be underwhelming
- service: very good. Check-in lobby is quite large with many seats. Room service was responsive, even late at night. Staffs wore facemasks, and sanitizers were readily available. Needed documents printed and it was not an issue. Overall very good!

Though it's true that it would be easy to lump this place into "another business hotel", but personally I had a very good stay here - everything was done well. Would come back again!

Date of stay: June 2021

Thankyou kindly Werckmeister for your feedback and glad that you had a pleasant stay with us. We appreciate that our service standards to IHG Way of Clean were adhered to and noticed. Our breakfast buffet has always received great recommendations and we are glad this was the case again.
Best wishes, Crowne Plaza Team

Reviewed 9 June 2021

Waited 18 mins for check-in at 6.30pm.

12 people in the cue behind me

only 2 people on the reception, although looking up to see the increasing length of the cue and wait time, neither did anything.

eventually was served and i enquired why he did not call the duty manager to get more people to check-in - he told me he was the duty manager !!! why then didn't he get more staff to support check-in and/or answer the other people in the wait cue who had already check-in questions. his response was a BLANK and non responsive comment - NOT GOOD ENOUGH Crowne Plaza.

I had was staying a few days and decided on a garden room.. see photo , no it was not and with the fact it was well over 30 mins before i actually got to the room i could not be bothered cueing again.

Wait time at breakfast was no better - the cue stretched from the elevator to the reception. ONLY one person attending to customers - although the 'covid safe' serving of the buffet was satisfactory the wait time AGAIN was not acceptable.

With so many new and enterprising hotel offerings now in Canberra - this place has past it's use by date on many levels

Date of stay: May 2021