Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra
Novotel Canberra(Canberra)(Great Value!)
USD 114*
USD 109*
  • Restaurant
Hotel Kurrajong Canberra(Canberra)(Great Value!)
USD 103*
  • Restaurant
Pavilion on Northbourne(Canberra)(Great Value!)
USD 97*
Brassey Hotel(Canberra)(Great Value!)
USD 119*
USD 110*
1,539 results
All reviewsglebe parkpark viewredsalt restaurantred saltdesk areatwo double bedsnational convention centrecar parkroom serviceoutdoor poolbuffet breakfastcentral locationbit datedan upgradelong weekendper daywar memorial
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Stayed for two nights on business this time, but have stayed for longer on other occasions over the years. The property hasn't changed much during that time, and although the decor could use a bit of refreshing, the hotel remains a good choice for those who need to be in downtown Canberra. It is not a cheap hotel and you are paying for the location rather than the quality, which is basic four star. It's located next to the Casino and at one end of City Walk, so is close to centrally located government offices and businesses. Most of the clientele appear to be government, military and overseas business travellers, but it is also a popular venue for conferences, and is generally pretty busy. Rooms are OK and perfectly clean but could do with updating and the sound-proofing between rooms could be better. The lighting is not very good and there are no armchairs, only a sort of divan-hassock thing, so you really have either to lie on the bed or sit at the desk. The bathroom was adequate, although the plumbing could have used attention. The bed was OK but the mattress was a bit saggy. The complimentary paper was delivered the first morning but forgotten on the second. The concierge and doormen provided excellent service but the reception staff were somewhat brusque and not particularly welcoming on arrival and did not ask whether our stay had been pleasant when we checked out. The buffet breakfast is expensive ($30) for a fairly ordinary, basic Western meal, but the quality was ok. However, the coffee service is a bottleneck and very slow if it is busy and the omelette station had closed down and the cook was already gone by 8:15 on our second morning. In-room internet is costly but there is supposed to be free internet access in the restaurant and lobby although I could not get the password login to work. I did not eat dinner at the hotel as there are many other choices along City Walk which are more attractive and better priced. There is a taxi rank next door to the hotel, in front of the Casino and I recommend using it rather than having the hotel call a cab for you, as this adds to the cost. I would use the Crowne Plaza again because it is so very convenient, and I would recommend it as a sound choice for business travellers who want the predictability of a big international chain and who need to be in central Canberra, but this latest visit made me think it needs to pull its socks up a bit, as it is getting past its prime.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
MattA0808, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

Dear Ozday,

We really appreciate you taking the time to share this extensive review. Thank you.
It seems obvious that our consistency and attention to detail in some areas has impacted you on this stay and I regret that we let you down.
Please accept my assurance that consistently great levels of service and product presentation is definitley our goal and we are motivated and passionate about ensuring our guests see the results of our efforts.
Hopefully our progress in these areas will further support the convenience and predictability that you mention and allow us to improve as the best option for your needs in Canberra.

Yours Sincerely

Matt Anderson

Reviewed 16 February 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 5 nights in February on a business trip. My room was on the second floor that fronts the street outside (Binara Street I think). This is a good 4 star hotel in my opinion although the passing pedestrian and car traffic can be a little loud. I suggest you request a room away from the street. It actually reminds me of the Embassy Suite Chain in the USA for some reason ! The room had two double beds with plenty of pillows and a comfy mattress. The room is well presented and no hint whatsoever of cigarette smoke which is nice. Furnishings are clean and tidy as was the ensuite with shower over bath. It has a mini bar refridgerator with a small stock of drinks and snacks. Also has tea and coffee making supplies. The large window has two blinds, a block out and a shade blind. Both have wind down handles. There is a nice work station with free internet access (a big plus in my opinion, both cable and wi-fi). Well done Crown. Staff at the front desk were always pleasant. Only a couple of negatives, the sink tap was just sitting on the stem. It comes off in your hand. I also have a pet hate of grime in ensuite tile grout. Whilst only a minor issue it is an issue. I did not partake of the restaurant but it does look very nice. Breakfast and dinner menu are pricey. Brekky is $28 and samples from the in room dining show steak, fish or chicken with side of veggies for $39. Club sandwich $20 and a chicken burger $24. As I said it all sounds nice but just a bit too pricey for me. Just about every night I have rung the reception desk to get the house music turned down, you can hear it in your room. Also called as I noted the bottle of chardonay in my fridge was only 1/4 full. It was obviously drunk by the previous room occupant and housekeeping failed to replenish it. That is a bit untidy so I will see if the charge me for it. Parking is very easy under the hotel in a secure park, cost is $15. Very nice garden setting and hotel atrium to relax in. Also nice TV with plenty of channels. I would stay here again. I doubt you will have any issues and all indications are you will have them fixed if you do.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back away from Binara Street. This will ensure a quiet night.
1  Thank Gmert
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Our official and event management crew recently stayed with Crowne Plaza for two consecutive weekends, for the Mountain Bike Australia National series rounds 3 & 4 in Canberra.

We found the hotel and staff to be nothing short of professional and accomodating. All of our needs as a sporting event crew were catered for to a high standard. Rooms were of high quality, and the extra touches such as discounted breakfast were very much appreciated by our crew.

I would highly recommend the Crowne Plaza and their sporting events program/partnership to anyone travelling to Canberra for any event, whether it be state, national or international level.

Reviewed 13 February 2012

Ive stated at both Rydges hotels in Canberra as well as some others around the ACT and the crowne plaza was by far the best.
I purchased the Renaissance package and was very impressed as it also included parking and breakfast. I will definatly stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Azz80t
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Very nice hotel. The concierge was beyond professional and really helped us out when we were in a bind. I only wish we could have stayed the subsequent night when it presented itself as as an issue.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple