“A giant tree fort getaway”
Review of A Stone Wall Inn

A Stone Wall Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Windham B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 4 September 2016 via mobile

The grounds are ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! The entire place is filled with beauty. The Inn was a wonderful place with a bunch of tree fort-esque bedrooms. The owners - Bob and Steven are simply great people - funny, warm and welcoming. The architect of this whole property is Bob, the owner. There are so many nooks and crannies and little "isms" to catch, it's almost impossible to catch over a weekend stay. The breakfast is pure deliciousness. Homemade blueberry ginger muffins made from blueberries grown on the property by Steven - purely delightful! Coffee is on point and a great selections of teas helps to wake you up in the morning. Complimentary organic shampoos and body wash in every shower from Vermont Soap are available for guest use. The beds are super comfy and cozy, the pillows are just the right soft yet firm and the blankets are thin fleece but super warm. The whole property is heated and cooled by eco friendly systems. The carbon footprint of this place has to be teeny tiny. The Corner House is a very cool vacation home for a larger group that could also serve an overflow for the Inn, I'm assuming. It's also a pretty awesome building. The art and architecture are just nothing short of amazing. Seriously. Visit this place. You will not be sorry.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jmreiter

Reviewed 27 July 2016

A Stone Wall INN is secluded but relatively easy to find with your GPS. I printed off some directions prior to going as cell service gets a bit sketchy in the hills of VT. The INN's WIFI is very STRONG and requires just a click to activate. The grounds of the INN are lovely and the gardens professionally designed and maintained. The pool was closed for repair during my stay. The remaining exterior community seating area and some seating outside of a few rooms are all maintained well and have some pleasant seats/chairs with pillows. There's a spot to momentarily park to check-in. Thereafter find a parking area just up the hill a bit and on in the rear of the INN. Bring your luggage either at checkin or from the parking area as either way is easy. I was greeted by one of the owners. He pleasantly helped me get settled and was happy to answer any question I had about the INN or the area. My room was just outside the breakfast lounge. The breakfast selections are wonderful; fresh fruit, cereal, coffee, bagels, scones.. yum. My room was SUPERCUTE. It consisted of a full size bed with a VERY COMFORTABLE mattress and cozy bedding. The pillows were dreamy-not on the cheap. It had a chair, private bath, ample closet space and dresser for my stuff. It also had a back door with a screen for a nice cross breeze with the windows under the bed. Out the backdoor was a little patio; a nice little seating area...there in the woods. The only down-side to the room is being able to very clearly hear the person/people in the room above.. ever movement they make :) Finally there is a nice lounge area with a TV, couch, chairs .. a bar area.. nice. Overall I would qualify this as a great place to stay. I think the photos are accurate and informative. I really enjoyed my stay here. I felt comfortable as a single traveler.

Room Tip: I would speak with the inn-keeper directly and state your room needs and desires. They display pri...
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 June 2016

We stayed for two nights. This is not the typical Bed and breakfast I am used to. We were there two nights arriving after 8pm we didn't see anyone the first night as you let yourself in after that hour which was ok. On Saturday we got up had breakfast and not a sole in site. We did our things for the day and arrived back around 5 pm again no one in site. This was so odd. We had the whole place to ourselves. On Saturday it was chilly and we wanted to talk with someone about how to control the heat but we had returned from dinner again after 8 pm and the sign on the office is not very welcoming(says only disturb us after 8 pm if it is an emergency) so we just dealt with it. On Sunday Am we again had breakfast with no one in site. Finally as we were finishing packing up did someone come by to introduce themselves as the Inn keeper. We were in the pond view room. The room was OK. Our bed was upstairs in the room and on the floor in the upstairs as it is a nook area. There is a deck off this particular room.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
ASWI-Team, General Manager at A Stone Wall Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2016

Thanks for taking the time to review our inn. I certainly hope you enjoyed your time in the area, and that your game of golf was fun despite the rain in the area.

Our small bed & breakfast is a staff of just one person, (our cloning process is still in beta testing), and while unusual to never see me, it does happen from time to time. I am constantly back and forth throughout our expansive property (covering 12 acres and 3 buildings). If a guest spends very little time in the common areas of the property, arrives late and/or leaves early, as was the case with your stay, this is typically when this occurs.

Like virtually all B&B's, we do not maintain a 24-hour front desk. However, I live on the property, and I am available for urgent situations when the office closes. All guests, including yourself, had my personal cell phone number in case any problems had arisen. Our inn is equipped with wifi-enabled temperature sensors which communicate with the office computers every 5 minutes, and alert us to any temperature extremes; for the duration of your stay, the lowest temperature point of your room was 67 degrees. Unfortunately, being the middle of June, there was no way control the heat; simply because all our heat comes from natural sources: Solar and Wood – we do not use any fossil fuels in the heating of our buildings. Given the time of year, our wood stoves were shut down. Even so, I’m sorry that it was a bit too chilly for you.

Thanks for staying with us, and look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed 1 May 2016

Travelling through Vermont from Maine to Virginia. Stopped here for an overnight. Was off season, so had pretty much all to ourselves. Very nice rooms, clean, excellent grounds. Building designed by architect and is unique. Lots of stairs and decks. Very friendly Inn Keeper. Hot tub and pool available. Walking trails, gardens, pond, decks for leisure. Library in our room with lots of titles. Free WiFi. We would come back in a minute.

Room Tip: Views from each room. Each is different. Stairs to lofts, to rooms and to decks.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2015 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night and we're captivated by the beauty of its location and the architectural design of the house. We wished we have more time to enjoy the place. Definitely coming back. Looking forward to visit the place again.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple

Been to A Stone Wall Inn? Share your experiences!