See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 September 2012

We live in New York city and we desperately needed to get away from the madness. A 2 day retreat at A Stone Wall Inn was just perfect. The Inn is very clean and pleasant. Sean the manager is very helpful and discreet. We were allowed to bring our puppy which was a real treat. She ran around the huge yard and had a blast - we had a blast watching her!

Room tip: We had the "pond view" room and we loved it. I believe it is the most remote of all the rooms. It was very peaceful and comfortable.
Date of stay: September 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 10 September 2012

My boyfriend and I visited A Stone Wall Inn at the end of August. We both love Vermont and were eager to check out the inn after seeing it advertised. Our first impression of the inn was phenomenal. The architecture and the gardens surrounding the grounds were impressive. We could hardly wait to unpack and get out and explore!

Sean, the inn manager, was a such a nice and inviting person. He was quick to give us a tour of the inn and explain to us a little about how it was built and who built it. He brought us to the the room we stayed in "The Cloud Room" and we both loved the view our on the balcony. Sean was able to recommend great restaurants in the area as well as some close state parks were my boyfriend and I were able to spend the day hiking. We were invited to walk further down the grounds and see the Corner House and the house that the owner lives in. Everything was a great experience. Sean is a GREAT cook and we started our mornings with delcious muffins, quiche, fresh fruit, and local coffee and milk.

We both can not wait to return in the winter and go skiing. Highly recommend this Inn!!!

Date of stay: August 2012
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Honestly, one of the best places I've ever stayed. If you're looking for a great getaway from city life, or life in general, this inn is it. It's remote location is something to cherish and take advantage of, and the layout of the grounds and inn add to the privacy of going on an actual vacation. The gardens are beautifully kept, with sitting areas all around to simply enjoy nature.

I was greeted by Sean when I first arrived, and what a fantastic man. He's very personable and easy to get along with, and (as others have mentioned) makes some delicious food! He's very courteous and doesn't intrude at all; very respectful of you being on vacation.

And if that wasn't enough, the architecture of the inn astounded me. It's very unique/original, and not in a "trying too hard to impress" kind of way. Modern is a word that pops into my head. The use of green products also makes it a more favorable environment (Seventh Generation, etc). Plus, there is a dipping pool and hot tubs to relax in :)

All I can say is, I felt completely comfortable and secure with staying at A Stone Wall Inn, and haven't had an experience this good before or since my stay. Can't wait to return!!

Room tip: I had a look at several rooms while exploring, and they all are very nice, very well kept, and unique. They won't let you down :)
Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 2 August 2012

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights in July as part of our 10th year anniversary trip. It was fantastic! I wish we had stayed there longer and planned more time to relax in the gardens and on the hammock and the decks. I'd also love to stay in the winter to experience some real snow and ski or snowshoe nearby, and just to look out the windows at the beautiful views!

We stayed in the Stargazer room in the main house. The room was small, but had an awesome bathroom and loft bed, plus a deck large enough for both of us. I loved that it was close to the shared kitchen because we could use the fridge for the local cheese (and other small drinks/food) we had brought. We watched a movie in the lounge one night, no cable, but lots of selections to choose from online and the circle couch was really comfy!

The entire house, room, hottub, hallways, bathrooms, etc were immaculately clean! At one point I even looked for cobwebs in the corners and couldn't find any! The architecture and furnishings of the place are a mix of hard edges with cozy nooks for comfort. I had searched for hours for a B&B in VT that was not a typical Victorian-flowery place, and The Stone Wall Inn met all those expectations!

And the green aspect was great too - a recycling bin and small compost bucket in the kitchen (non-smelly, of course), 7th generation producs everywhere, fresh local milk and half-n-half for our coffee, locally picked berries for breakfast....

Our host, Sean, was great too! He met us and gave us a mini-tour, he was available for questions about places to visit nearby, but I never felt like he was intrusive or in the way like I had worried about with staying at a B&B (this was our first B&B experience). He also bakes some great muffins (the best blueberry muffin I ever had!) and other yummy thing for breakfast I don't remember the name of (with fresh berries too). And, he created an unexpected special treat for us on our anniversary day - and I had only briefly mentioned once that that's why we were on the trip!

On our way out we toured the large beautiful gardens and met the owners and felt like we were visiting long-time friends. They invited us to walk over to their attached lot and more extensive gardens. The whole experience was soothing and relaxing and exactly what we needed! I'd definately recommend this place to a friend (and already have!) and I hope we get back there again soon!

Room tip: Each room is unique. Check out the pictures posted online and talk to Sean about the qualities of each room and he can help you choose what your looking for!
Date of stay: July 2012
Reviewed 17 July 2012

My boyfriend & I had purchased a save deal online for two nights. I wish that we could have stayed longer. We were greeted by Sean the Inn manager who was so nice & helpful throughout our stay. He even got up every morning & cooked breakfast. From homemade coffee cake to quiche, which i had never tried before... it was delicious.
The Inn is very nice with clean rooms & great views of the beautiful gardens, ponds & mountain tops. We enjoyed time on our private balcony, relaxing in the lounge and enjoying the pool & jacuzzi. We had such a great weekend away and to top it off we got engaged on our last day!
What a great end to a wonderful weekend.

Room tip: We had stayed in the Pondview room wich was a corner suite. it had a private balcony that overlooked the pond,gardens & mountain tops. It was quite nice. However i do know that online they have some more upscale rooms that would be worth checking out as well.
Date of stay: July 2012